Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Happy Thanksgiving to all. Have been away since wifey totalled the 01 wagon. But I am back. I am looking for a 01 to 03 wagon (4matic) with under 100K. Anyone know what is market value like for one of these.

Another alternative is 2004 -2005 W211 4matic. Those seem to be going for about $13K and up. Yes I know then have issues with the servotronic brakes (but I figured that dealers would have sorted those out by now) but the basic powertrain is similar. So other than the brakes, the W211 should be relatively reliable - right?

Was looking at BMW E39 but the common failure of plastic water water pump impeller and auto transmission issues scared me off.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
i used to have a 2001 530i with m-package. the only good thing about the e39 is that you can get a sport package with manual transmission making it very fun to drive, while w210 never came with a manual transmission. bad thing about e39 is weak cooling system and expensive suspension parts that will need replacing. it's not that e39 is much less reliable than w210, but you are already familiar with mb. personally i would pass on e39 and try to find a 01-03 4m wagon, a clean low miles one in excellent condition should be in the $7.5-9k area

·
Registered
858 Posts
I bought my wagon in august, and spent a few months looking nationwide for one. The one i bought had 90k and is a 2002. no rust and all service records. I pad 9.5k
Could've had a 2001 with the same miles for 8k. Kinda wish I had gone for the mint 2001 with only 46k miles for 11k--but i never had that one inspected. Saw very few 2003 wagons on the market--don't know how many they made.
You may be able to jump on a deal since you live in CA. Kinda hard to jump on one long distance, since I could not inspect it myself.
Hope this helps.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
You will be hard pressed to find one with everything in order for under 9k -- and that will be 90k + -- the ones with less miles are all over 10k.

I have been looking since I bought my 02 18 months ago for 11.5 with 74k -- I missed out on a nice one for the same money with 65k.

I also saw a very nice 200 with 128 go for 6300 -- the car was in very good shape but needed all the normal w210 problems sorted out ...... so three grand later and untold hours the perfect cars a the best value if you want to end up with a nice car that has everything working.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I see people saying in the 9's for low mileage 4matic wagons, but I found different when looking. Been about 1.5 years since I got my MY02 with 70K on it for in the 12s. In my case he did just put on new Conti tires and it was in excellent shape. Had everything but Navi, which I did want, but cant complain.
The wagons seem to hold their value more or have a more specific following, so the prices stay up there.
When looking, besides the usual things to look at, check for rust on the hatch around the window seal and that the license plate screws are not fused into the nuts. Pretty common.
I too was tempted by the 211 body, but I will stay away from anything MY06 and older on the 211. Too many issues.

·
Registered
326 Posts

·
Registered
858 Posts
oops, meant to link another--not the new jersey one. Anyway--the one in LA is a 4-matic. Not sure about the Texas one. I found that a lot of 4-matics weren't listed as AWD. Usually, I had to check them out further--or look at the picture of the back of the car.
How can you determine the quality--the options?

·
Registered
326 Posts
Yes didnt see that the LA one was 4matic. TX was not.
I was talking more about quality of vehicle. The TX one looks ok (need more photos), except for the fogged headlamps, which I would expect in the sunny TX area.
The LA one the cluster looks to be having some pixel or lighting issues. Cant read the time. DOnt think that is flash or glare as it would be the same angle as the others. This one has 100K, so probably on the upper end of what he wants. Price is not bad though. Now this one is probably a zero rust car, being from CA (at least that is my impression of CA cars compared to NJ).

No pics on this one, but see what I mean on price vs. mileage (wow):
Cars for Sale: 2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 4MATIC Wagon in Kennebunk, ME 04043: Wagon Details - 310979277 - AutoTrader.com

here are some that are about what I would figure:
Cars for Sale: 2001 Mercedes-Benz E320 4MATIC in Levittown, PA 19056: Wagon Details - 310469887 - AutoTrader.com
and non 4matic:
Cars for Sale: 2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 Wagon in Annapolis, MD 21401: Wagon Details - 310453205 - AutoTrader.com

·
Registered
4 Posts
Its not a wagon, but just recently i picked up a 2002 E320 4Matic sedan with 61000 km, absolutely mint all records, no accidents, no rust, private sale for 11k.:D

·
7,943 Posts
I paid about $6000 for my 4matic wagon from a Car Dealer Auction(Where independent car dealers buy their cars).

My car was purchased about the time when the US Stock Market nose-dived. My Car had 100k Miles, and my car was like a 9.8; It still runs like a top. I've put 40k since that time of purchase.

Martin

·
Registered
86 Posts
I bought my 98 4matic wagon in Jan '11. 103,000 miles $8500. Looked up and down the west coast for 2 months. Found the car in Portland OR. Had I checked it out more carefully I could have gotten it cheaper. It needed tires and a blower regulator immediately and SLS accumulators. Fortunately, I could do the work myself and got out of it for a few hundred $. Last summer I resealed the A/C compressor for $28 plus R134.

·
Registered
326 Posts
For the money and considering the miles that is not a bad car. Looks well cared for and pretty much all there. Surprised no rust stains on the hatch (being it is from CT).
I do notice that the relatively small dent may be something more, since the hood gap is out of whack on the pass side.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
As with any used car the psychological comes into play -- very few original owners keep these past 80k and they take a hit at 100k and 125k.

Same goes for age -- older drivers are not going to keep them when they get up around eight years old.

The market for a car with 160k + on it is small. You need to buy it and drive it the way it is -- and many people want more than that.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts