Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought mine new in June 07. Also purchased the extended warranty for $4880. 36 months or 100k miles whichever first.
Last Friday I had another schedule B visit and it was $713.00 after I used one 15% coupon. This time it was the main air filter and the cabin filter in addition to the regular schedule B.
So so far based on my scheduled visits, I have paid $3476.00 in scheduled maintenance, two alignments, one break fluid replacement, one transmission fluid replacement and 2 schedules B, one Schedule A and one Schedule C. Not counting tire replacement and my brakes are still solid at 47,500 miles. Any comparisons out there? Is owning this great car worth this much in maintenance? What do you think?

·
Registered
1984 300D Turbo, 2009 GL320
246 Posts
We're at 38,000 miles on a 2009 GL320.

I bought Prepaid Maintenance at a cost of $910. This paid off handsomely, since our scheduled maintenance would have cost:

10,000 miles Service A: $350 including 4.5 gallons of AdBlue
20,000 miles Service B: $910 including unknown gallons of AdBlue
30,000 miles Service B: $750 including unknown gallons of AdBlue

(Each service was done at a different dealer). Total would have been $2,010 if I had not bought Prepaid Maintenance.

I'm not looking forward to our 40,000 mile service (which the flex indicator says will be a Service C). It's time to shop dealerships, since their prices seem to vary quite a bit.

But the tires are really the killer. Tires were replaced at 34,500 miles at a cost of $2,000 plus an alignment. Given the price, it was no comfort to be told that we had done well to get that many miles out of the tires. I noticed that handling and road noise deteriorated markedly toward the end of the tires' life -- you really can't "stretch" them.

Our brakes are still solid, too.

If it weren't for the tire cost, I wouldn't have a problem with the overall maintenance expense. But the tires make me pause ....

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
On the prepaid maintenance: You paid $910 for all scheduled maintenance when you bought the car? and if you are covered why do you need to shop for a dealership for a better price? is it expired?. I wish they had offered me Prepaid maintenance when I bought the car. Are you thinking about keeping it for a number of years? Bunch of questions huh? ..see another question.

·
Registered
246 Posts
The $910 Prepaid Maintenance covered the first 3 service intervals. The funny thing is that I was going to skip it, thinking it was a bad deal, until the Finance Mgr tipped me off to the typical cost of a service interval on this car. Boy, did that pay off.

If I could extend it beyond 30,000 miles I would but MBUSA isn't doing that. So the 40k service is on me, hence the need to shop around in the future.

My intention was to keep this car for at least 200,000 miles, which is one reason why I bought the diesel engine. In my case that would be about eight or nine years, but whether I can live with the ongoing maintenance costs is an open question. Figuring in the cost of tires every 30,000 miles, it looks like routine maintenance runs about 11 cents per mile, half of which is the expensive tires. Repairs would be additional.

I also bought an extended warranty that will cover repairs through 100,000 miles, so the decision whether to keep or dump will be made around that time.

I would say it pays to shop around for service. It does vary quite a bit in cost from dealer to dealer.

·
Registered
2008 GL 320, 2012 BMW X1, 1995 Volvo 855T, 2008 Outback
307 Posts
I bought my 08 in June of 08, and now it has 35K or so. Same tires, they look good.

It has only been in the shop 3 times for scheduled maint for a total $854.46. I don't want to count the number of times it has been in the shop during the first year under warranty.

The warranty expires in June 2011, and then I may just sell it. And I would never pay $2K for new tires.

·
Registered
246 Posts
klausc, you're lucky you have an 08 with a spare tire, instead of the 09 or 10 with run-flats. Folks with run-flats will find they have no option other than the $2k run-flat tires, unless they want to carry a spare on the roof, and the tires seem to wear out much faster than conventional ones. I wish I'd known about this issue before I bought the car.

The 09 and later GL320s are also more expensive on maintenance due to the cost of AdBlue. The solution to that problem is to buy your own AdBlue at truck stops and never let the dealer fill it at $15/ half-gallon.

·
Registered
108 Posts
klausc, you're lucky you have an 08 with a spare tire, instead of the 09 or 10 with run-flats. Folks with run-flats will find they have no option other than the $2k run-flat tires, unless they want to carry a spare on the roof, and the tires seem to wear out much faster than conventional ones. I wish I'd known about this issue before I bought the car.
Hi,

MY10 don't have RFTs i think. My R350BT doesn't have RFT nor a spare. Instead, I have regular tires and a TIREFIT kit. I understand some owners may feel uncomfortable not having RFT nor a proper spare.

Cheers,
Felix

·
Registered
GL450
69 Posts
You are all paying WAY TOO MUCH. I discovered how to maintain my GL for less by shopping for other local shops that specialize in Benz.

I bought new tires at a local shop for $800. Change tires for $80.

As for the maintenance, you don't need to follow the service. YOu only need to change the oil and filter for every 20,000 km. And that's only $150 at the dealer.

Your GL will alert you if you need to change things other than oil like Brake Pads, Battery, etc. No need to do the bogus service. If you really want to , you can do an ALL Checkup every year for $600 to see if there are any problems with your car. But you don't need to, because it will give you a warning on the dash board anyway.

·
Registered
188 Posts
If you all can afford to buy such expensive vehicle,you should not have any problem paying the money to maintain such vehicle,by being a cheap skate.

·
Registered
GL450
69 Posts
If you all can afford to buy such expensive vehicle,you should not have any problem paying the money to maintain such vehicle,by being a cheap skate.
Yeah..but... had I bought the tires at the dealer for $1400, i wouldn't be able to save $700. That's still a lot of money saved. That would buy me 7 weeks of groceries. :eek:

I got rich because i'm cheap. ;)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Even if you had bought the gas version gl450 you'd still have to change your cabin filters, air filters, oil change, and tranny change etc. Some of this stuff you can do it yourself if you know what your doing like cabin filters and air filters etc.

This is a mercedes benz, not a kia. Yes a kia or even a hummer h2 or escalade will be lower maintance because more stuff is do it yourself / GM engines are much easier to work on from vs mercedes from what I've read.

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Most of us know and understand what we are getting into when we buy a Mercedes Benz. Those who do not want to deal with maintenance lease. There are some who want the peace of mind that dealer servicing provides (flame suit on). There are some who enjoy working on their cars.

Bottom line, there's something for everybody and there's no need to bash them.

·
Registered
Cayenne D, GL320, 993TT
65 Posts
I believe that OP's original question is why dealership services are expensive. Its a rhetorical question once you walk into a dealership and soak in the surroundings. Money is not made in selling cars; its in servicing the cars which have been sold. Service department is the most profitable piece in a car dealership business model.

I own a Porsche and parts are much more expensive than MBs. OEM Porsche Brake parts alone cost $1200 (with a discount) from a Porsche parts dealership. MB Parts are expensive because they are produced in Europe where the current Euro exchange rate do not favor USD.

GL is a new model with bugs that did not surface during R&D which will require time to get worked out as consumers drive them. There may be parts that fail prematurely due to poor design but that should improve in new generations of redesign.

The manual is very clear on service intervals and recommended maintenance items. Otherwise, you will be paying for blinker fluid service from a SA recommendation..

·
Registered
246 Posts
I have to agree with chsu74. I'm always amazed at the number of people who post questions about "What's included in Service A?" and "Do I really need to change the brake fluid?" Most of the answers are right in your Owner's Manual, so why would you ask a bunch of anonymous people on the Internet? Inevitably, the answers are all over the map -- and often wrong. Even dealership Service Advisors sometimes get it wrong.

The service intervals and recommendations are there for good reasons. The guy who skips everything but the oil change will be fine -- for a while. But I sure don't want to buy a used car from him. That will be the car with lots of deferred maintenance, like stinky cabin filters, rust in the brake lines, invisible and excessive wear in the transmission, and damage/leaks that would have been discovered & fixed during routine service intervals.

I bought my GL320 to keep it a long time, not to trade it in after three years of depreciation. I plan to follow the service intervals, either at a dealer or a qualified independent. Following the recommended maintenance is the best way to ensure that small problems are caught before they become big ones; it's also required to protect your warranty, and a good idea if you want to keep the vehicle over the long haul. Yes, it's expensive but you can shop it around for a better price if your local dealer doesn't treat you well. Ignoring recommended inspections and preventative maintenance isn't really a smart way to save money.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts