Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
560SL
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK - I'm looking over what I've spent in my first 6 months of owning a 560SL - and taking a deep breath. Of course, you don't own these cars to be economical. But I'm curious as to what it's costing others to run their cars. (If this has already been discussed in another thread forward me the link...)

Here's what it seems to be costing me (and the previous owner) so far: between $500 to $1000 for basic annual servicing.

The car was in pretty good shape when I bought it but looks like it will require between $1K and $2K each year in addition to fix various issues as they come up and replace aging parts. That's not doing any work myself - using independent mechanics, as inexpensive (but still good) that I can find.

Anyone out there want to share their numbers?

·
Outstanding Contributor
450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500se+500slAMG +250seStkW108 350sl4spdX3 500secEuro
22,562 Posts
Any old car will be very expensive if you don't do the work yourself. I guess a law mower is cheap to keep running though. :)
MB cars are the type of cars that are easy to justify maintaining in many cases. However, as low as the prices are right now, it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to buy one every year or so and then sell/junk it, and then repeat the cycle. That might keep you from paying the mechanic $2000 per year. But you know, $2000 per year is not bad. I think most cars depreciate at around $3000 per year, and much more for high end vehicles. Since the depreciation is nearly all done on any 107, $2000 in repairs sounds good. It's the price at the pump that keeps me from daily driving mine.

Sent from my iPhone using AG Free

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
29,509 Posts
Sounds right.

My budget was higher the first 4 years of ownership but as I got the car back up to snuff I'm doing about $1000 a year , myself doing the work.

But I tend to drive the snot out of my SL.

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
32,345 Posts
If I keep records I get more depressed.

·
Registered
1985 380SL(2) 1973 450SL
491 Posts
If you have to ask, or even calculate it, you probably shouldn't own one. lmao. If you never drive it...say 250 miles a year like I do, it will find a way to destroy itself sitting...then you'd wished you driven it more.

Probably the best SL to drive would be a dependable 380SL in the 85 vintage that the odometer quits working...but the speedo still functions....and stops at around 50K....then you just drive the living crap out of it, and every time you look down you've got a 50K mile car....

As far as what I spend....I'm also afraid to look...but I'm having fun pouring money into the black hole....

·
Registered
560SL
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the responses. Good to know the figures are in line with other people's experiences.

Another way to look at it is that the average tired SL needs at least 15K - 20K spent on it to get it to a good place. But you can usually stagger that work over multiple years.

That's why these cars don't make sense as investments. A 150,000 miles SL is still basically a $6K car even after you've spent $10K on it. When you buy one of these cars, you have to go all in. You have to accept from the outset that you're never going to see that money again, and be prepared to enjoy it for as long as possible, and then pass it on to someone who'll do the same.

Or don't pass it on. There's a fellow, Lonnie Hollaway, who was buried in his '73 Pontiac. Google it.

·
Always Remembered RIP
1979 280sl 4 sp w/ac 1957 MGA 1998 volvo xc/70 2004 F150
6,050 Posts
Screw Lonnie, we're all already buried in our 107s. :)

·
Registered
1985 380SL(2) 1973 450SL
491 Posts
lmao...Brilliant response ..We're already buried.

Yeah....this entire site is Night of the Living Dead.....

I actually believe ( perhaps I'm delusional ) that I could bail out of my entire fleet of 4 107's and maybe even make a little money if I got lucky like Chicago350SL. lmao.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts