Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to weigh alternatives and determine which would be better: buying a new (cheap) car for $10-15K or keeping up a 1998 C230 with a little over 100,000 miles. Will my cost of maintenance over the next couple of years exceed the cost of a new car? I think not, but I could be wrong. I know Mercedes' are expensive to maintenance. Any responses from those who have FIRST-HAND experience would be greatly appreciated. THANKS!! :)

·
Registered
1995 C280, 2008 SLK 280 Edition 10, 2006 Cadillac STS
26 Posts
I have a '95 C280 with 154K miles and last year was my worst year. I spent around $2500 for a radiator, water pump, serpentine belt, battery, condenser core, brake pads, and rotors all dealer installed at various times. After ten years of service, I don't think that was too much to spend. I'm sure I won't have to worry about many more things for quite some time. If you haven't had many things go wrong with yours, I'd say keep it and keep up the regular maintenance on it. I plan on keeping mine for at least another 50K miles and techs at the MB dealership say that should not be a problem. The last time I was there I met a guy with a '96 C280 and he had 237K and he had just driven to Florida and back.

·
Registered
2004 Lexus LS 430 Modern Luxury. 2012 Acura TSX (fun fun) Maybe MB again one day...
2,604 Posts
I have spend less than 1k in 3 yrs of ownership. And most of that is stuff I chose to do, NOT repairs.

If the car is paid for, drive it forever. The c230 is supposed to be one of the best ones (for reliability) they've put out in years.

Find a good honest, independent tech, and stay away from the STEALERSHIP, and you will be happy as a clam driving that 202 years from now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts