·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just out of curiosity...

Anybody use theirs as a daily driver?

Extended trips/vacations?

Work vehicle?

And finally, what are your praises and complaints?

Todd

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Yeah, I can say I use mine as a daily driver @ 50 km a day.
BAD
The cab stays rather cold when outside temp is -20°C or less,and the fan on windshield is not as good as I expected.
Also I wish it had ABS.
I get always lots of questions (like everybody else on this forum - I bet), some of them are pretty stupid.
Sometimes when people see me on the intersection and is their turn, they drive very slowly, staring at me like seeing UFO.
GOOD
Less people try to cut me off on the streets than before.
I can see traffic on the street 2 miles ahead.
Oh, and chicks like it too.

·
Unimog Moderator
13,046 Posts
Its my Daily driver, but I don't drive every day, I live 4 blocks from work, so I walk most days. Mine has the Under the Seat external heater (DoKa) That sucker not only defrosts the inside, and outside of the front windshield, but it keeps the cab fairly warm as well. I've had it out in -34 C thusfar, and it had no problems. People in my town are getting used to it now, but theres always people who haven't seen it, and I get the :thumbsup: everytime. We took it on Vacation to Portland (1600km one way, or 1000 miles one way) we also drove it from Rhode Island to Toronto when we picked it up. It gets used, thats for sure.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Mine is also a DD, but my commute is only 2 miles. As most if not all of the moggers here I get the usual attention, questions and pictures. I think it was here that I read "it is like being in a parade every day".
When I first picked it up and got it home i found a reason to go to the store. By the time I got out of the truck 2 people came up and started asking me questions, one of which was "how long have you had it?", I looked at my watch and said 2 hours.....
I usually run on biodiesel, but i occasionally get the disapproval head shake from a prius driver and think..."they have no idea on biodiesel the mog is about as clean as a prius, but more fun to drive...
I have adapted to going slow without much loss, I top out at 64 but run on the freeway about 58-60 unless there is a hill...lol:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
What a laugh.

I get a kick out of the people who drive these implement carriers like cars! What if farmers were driving their tractors around like cars too? That would be a real hoot!! There sure are some starved egos out there!!

Unless your running clean burning recycled fuels, I think using Mogs like cars is a slap in the face to society.

As an alternative.. Find a way to use your Mog to help society in some way, then you're justified...

-Until then, its all an ego trip.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I get a kick out of the people who drive these implement carriers like cars! What if farmers were driving their tractors around like cars too? That would be a real hoot!! There sure are some starved egos out there!!

Unless your running clean burning recycled fuels, I think using Mogs like cars is a slap in the face to society.

As an alternative.. Find a way to use your Mog to help society in some way, then you're justified...

Disagree.

My 421 gets used daily when it's time for a backup vehicle and no others are available. It gets >20 MPG around town, which is more than most 10 year old sedans. It does get non-stop looks, but that's not why I bought it - in fact, I never thought it would get the looks it does when I went to pick it up. I bought it to enjoy the nostalgia of driving the most capable 4x4's of that era and so that I could have/own/drive/wheel what is STILL one of the most capable 4x4's around.

Sure it's no eco car, but I don't get how driving a Unimog (a MULTI-purpose vehicle) around means your ego needs attention. If I could only have one vehicle for 4x4ing, day trips to the beach/mountains/local trails/etc, plus getting me to work/friends/Costco every now and then, I would definitely buy a 406/416 for that purpose. Why not? Although the 416s are more expensive up front, the 406's are plentiful and cheap, parts aren't that hard to get either way, they go everywhere (albeit slowly), they can haul and tow a tonne, not to mention they really don't make for all that bad of a truck to drive around, IMHO.

If a farmer could only have one vehicle for every duty he needed to perform, wouldn't the Unimog be a great choice? Now replace all of the farm specific duties with the plowing/hauling/recreational 4x4ing/towing that many 406/416/SBU owners do, wouldn't the Unimog still be a great choice? :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Corey

·
Registered
2,641 Posts

Why does using a recycled fuel make it any different, and how is it a slap in the face to society?

·
Unimog Moderator
13,046 Posts

I know several guys with Cummins trucks, Powerstrokes, ect that are all chipped up, piped out, ect, and get much worse mileage than me. Plus my mog was already built, I takes a lot of chemicals and materials to build a new car.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts

There you go, sticking your foot in your mouth again! Just go away already.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Matt is someone that needs no prodding, I doubt he's gotten his Mog above 2nd gear yet.

I asked because I'm literally considering the option of making my 1300 a shop truck, meaning 3-4 times a week I'll drive it to pickup materials and such, and I'd like to hear real experiences to whether or not it's at all practical.

I'm also interested in building a camper for it and heading out west for a memorable trip for my son, and I'd rather prosper from other's experiences first, before making that decision.

Thanks all for the great input.

Todd

·
BenzWorld UNIMOG statesman
5,856 Posts
ACUF the 1300 is a lot less of an implement carrier than the the 406/416/Case etc era. Dramatically less. Its more of a stuff carrier that can carry it off road too.

Todd,

Mike Pop... drove his 1300 daily and drove it back and forth from NV to NJ many times.

He also used it in his business of deconstruction/demolition

Where you are in Ohio you have to decide if its a pain in traffic if often your trips take you to Cincy traffic or an advantage because of better up front visibility.

A low side window in the passenger door might be good for visibility directly below that door in traffic though. One like the low rectangular ones that use to be on Big rigs near the hidges. I see now on the new big rig trucks they cut the window opening different for the same purpose; Passenger side visiblity by the driver.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I agree Coach.

I spent a few years in LA and San Jose, then a few years outside of DC. So I moved back to Ohio for many reasons, one was to avoid overpopulation and the related traffic. Nothing boils my blood quicker!

I saw on one of the Mog Supplier sites, the pax side mirror that I think goes on the top window frame to view that same area you mention. I would also consider the small sideview cameras, feeding into a mini-lcd for a rearview mirror. I dont mean to sound like I'm going to over-tech this thing IF I END UP DOING THIS AT ALL, but I agree that blindspots in a Mog need any attention possible. We're starting to put the mini-radar systems on buses, to reduce dangerous lane changes, they work pretty well.

As for my original question, I know that probably 95% of Mog owners dont use them as a daily driver, or anything near that. I was mostly wanting to hear the experiences from that other 5% and how practical they think it is.

It would seem I'm stuck (happily) with a U1300 with less than 4500 original miles on it, and that has had the benefit of Ben going completely though it, and not a sign of rust anywhere. So when I consider building a camper to go out west, and occasionally mildly offroad, it seems to be staring me in the face that I have a golden opportunity with this truck. I feel somewhat that my dream of building an Expedition Vehicle has backed me into a corner and is saying "Put up or shut up!"

Now what will I do?

·
Registered
1,849 Posts

You mean an ego trip like posting a well-used 406 for sale for $45,000?

So, what's wrong with an ego trip?!?!

I have put 26,000 km on my U1300L since February this year. That certainly wasn't daily driving LOL.

Edited to answer Tod's original query: Todd, the 1300 is a very practical daily driver. There is always the limited top speed but such usage as you mentioned would not require freeway speeds all the time anyway. Shifting through all the gears is slow so you have to enjoy doing it. I've gotten to skipping gears, like 3 to 5 to 7 if there's no load or incline involved. That helps me keep up with traffic speeds. The 1300 seems like a huge vehicle but size wise it's not really. The wheelbase of my Dodge pickup is 2 ft longer than the U1300's, and overall length, the Dodge is 3 feet longer. Hard to believe, but the U1300 is much easier to handle around town and turning into parking spots. Visibility is superb, and that right side blind spot is not a blind spot with bubble mirrors (on all my trucks). The rear tends to be a blind spot with the Alaskan Camper on the bed so I did add a rear view camera. A very close call with a soccer mom scooting in behind me at a McDonalds, while I was already backing up, made the camera cheap insurance.

Your mog will get as good mileage as most delivery trucks. I get 8 to 10 with a Ford 1 ton box truck, and average 14 with the U1300 (have gotten 17 mpg). Since getting the U1300 early this year, my pickup and box truck just sit most of the time.

Bob

·
BenzWorld UNIMOG statesman
5,856 Posts
Todd, The more hightech you go the more chance of real frustrating break downs; or break offs, when a tree branch or out cropping of rocks knock them off.

My high tech VW (03) has been down for 4 months now cause a short or ground fault..... which we cant find, is telling the computer to shut the car down (Immobilizer computer) and do some other funky things like not allow the fire by wire fuel pedal to opperate, the window switches, or radio to work etc etc. Both computers have been replaced. It's not them. Point is.... try to get something high tech fixed in the middle of nowhere on that once in a life time camping trip thru the backlands of Mexico.

Simple little window will suffice. A take off mirror for viewing either out that little window or the main window will do well too.

·
Registered
790 Posts
"A slap in the face of society"? My 27000 lb U500 camper gets comparable fuel mileage to a 6000 lb Dodge 2500 Hemi, based on conversations with owners of those things, and there are lots of those around.
I've been driving my U500 to work and back (8.9 mi each way) for 1.5 years. When my wife gets her new diesel X5 next week I'll start driving her older 325xi to work.
The U500 isn't problematic for driving to work because there's a nice parking lot at work. It does very well on winter ice, the ABS rarely engages (of course I drive pretty conservatively).
Then the U500 will become relegated to its' intended function as a camper, with maybe once a week trips to work to keep it happy. It should be "expeditioning" in Australia within 2 years.

Charlie

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
I run my 416 all around the city and find the milage to be better than my Landcruiser (no surprise there). Visibility is great if I have the rear gate down or off, and it is easier to park than my F350, which gets a whopping 8mpg. I probably get 13-14 mpg in the mog, and average around 10 or so miles a week. It gets driven mostly picking up anything thats too big or dirty for the Landcruiser, as the F350 is usually filled with stuff to drop off at the dump. I think the 1300 would be a great run around truck, and good advertisement.

·
Registered
335 Posts
There you go, sticking your foot in your mouth again! Just go away already.
I would have to agree with Von here. Although mine is usually run on bio, i don't see how it is any more/less and ego trip than a guy in vette or jeep. Most of the jeep & vette drivers i have talked to get less MPG than I do. I think the fact that I drive it and am able to educate people about mogs & bio fuel easily make it worth driving. I get more smiles & thumbs up per mile in it than anything I have driven. how can that be bad?

I also agree with the poster who mentioned your ego trip about trying to sell a 6-7K mog for 45K, way to judge your fellow moggers.....:crybaby2:

1 - 20 of 62 Posts