Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I'm wondering how many R class oil burners are out there? I've know seen a few R classes in my area but they don't seem that popular.

So far ours has been trouble free and I hope to keep it that way with the Star book. I ran into another benz owner last night with a gas sedan - E series I think and hates it, wouldn't ever buy another one, blah, blah, blah. I thought, ouch something or someone has obviously taken him for a ride.

To bad really as it sure looks really nice. Like I said, I love mine so far. I wish the fuel gauge was a little more accurate though.

That brings up another question, how can you get that to increase? My experience with diesels states I sure don't want to run it dry but with a 95L tank, including reserve why is it that when it is empty (lower than the little light) I can only squeeze in 75L? I would expect at least another 10L for sure.

Any ideas?

Cheers

·
Registered
2007 R320 CDI
61 Posts
Greetings fellow Canadian!

I have a 320 CDI as well, coming up 1 1/2 years. Love it, love it, love it. It's my first MB and I cannot be happier with it.

As far as fuel consumption, the best I've achieved is 7.7 L/100km on a leisurely highway drive (about 100 km/hr on cruise control) a couple of months ago. Typical day-to-day consumption is about 10.5, mostly on suburban roads. If I'm on the highway in normal traffic with higher speeds (still some local driving in there), I'll get 9.5.

I rarely let the tank go to empty...I think the most I've put in is about 79 L.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I had one. Loved the engine but hated the sound of it under lighter loads. The Diesel prices really did not justify the fuel savings and overall it was a troubled vehicle. 07 but built 9/06. It seems that you lucked out. If mine wasn't lemmony I would have kept it.

·
W166, W251 Moderator
1987 560SL - Signal Red, 2014 ML350 - Diamond White, 2019 Ford Explorer - Magnetic (company car)
1,249 Posts
Hey guys,

I'm wondering how many R class oil burners are out there? I've know seen a few R classes in my area but they don't seem that popular.

So far ours has been trouble free and I hope to keep it that way with the Star book. I ran into another benz owner last night with a gas sedan - E series I think and hates it, wouldn't ever buy another one, blah, blah, blah. I thought, ouch something or someone has obviously taken him for a ride.

To bad really as it sure looks really nice. Like I said, I love mine so far. I wish the fuel gauge was a little more accurate though.

That brings up another question, how can you get that to increase? My experience with diesels states I sure don't want to run it dry but with a 95L tank, including reserve why is it that when it is empty (lower than the little light) I can only squeeze in 75L? I would expect at least another 10L for sure.

Any ideas?

Cheers
Hi

Still running strong, had a lot of issues with the rear hatch and other parts that has been replaced/rectified.

Love the low end tourque and after you set the cruise to 80mph you sit back and relax and see the avverage millage exceed 25mpg:thumbsup:

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So far we are around 22.4 Miles per USGallon and I would expect that it will get a bit (25 to 27?) better? Has anyone every seen 30? Hand calculated vs. the computer display?

I just filled it yesterday with 85L and barely managed 715 km which is a hand calculated 11.89 L/100 km or 19.78 Miles per USGallon which I'm not impressed with.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Greetings fellow Canadian!

I have a 320 CDI as well, coming up 1 1/2 years. Love it, love it, love it. It's my first MB and I cannot be happier with it.

As far as fuel consumption, the best I've achieved is 7.7 L/100km on a leisurely highway drive (about 100 km/hr on cruise control) a couple of months ago. Typical day-to-day consumption is about 10.5, mostly on suburban roads. If I'm on the highway in normal traffic with higher speeds (still some local driving in there), I'll get 9.5.

I rarely let the tank go to empty...I think the most I've put in is about 79 L.

9.5 is pretty nice. That's equal to 24.7MPG. 7.7L is great as that is just over 30 MPG. I hope when it warms up things improve a bit on mine to be honest. I love the comfort and the torque is great so I can't complain.

·
Registered
R320CDI
42 Posts
Late to the party, but checking in. 07 R320 with 27k trouble free miles. Just maintenance so far. Tires & brakes next month. Best highway mileage with family is 31 MPG. Max. refill was 21 gallons, but that was milking out all the air until is was flush with the filler hole!

·
Registered
'08 R320CDI; '10 ML350; '10 Audi R8
34 Posts
New owner of '08 320 "pre-owned". Went in to shop for a new one, "no '09's left, waiting for '10's." Only demo available was pre-owned '08, 6 mo. since original sale with 13k. mi.. Liked it so well after test drive, and price was so attractive that we bought it!

Car seems like a perfect autobahn cruiser. Computer reports 26-28 mpg on hwy cruising, but doing the math on odometer miles/gallons put in on 2 tanks has yielded 29-30 mpg.!! Only on 5th tank so am going to have to watch this more closely.

Car seems very well designed for our mission: grandchild & dog transporting!
Interior room is generous, but vehicle could use more storage niches (cubbies, pockets, etc.). But we have the "7 seat" model which does loose the rear console. Considering the thickness of the doors, door pockets could be wider mouthed or less rigid to hold larger things.

Have owned one MB ('98 ML) before: loved the car but it had a horrible repair record (all done on warranty, cheerfully, I have to say). Hope this car is better sorted. MB exclusive tendancies are slightly irritating: MB spec 229.51 oil must be used in diesel engines and only MB dealers carry it! Tires must be MB spec (Tire Rack did have MB approved Michelin winter tires), etc., etc..

I'm wondering at the slightly "orphan" status of the R-Class: it's the only MB that doesn't apparently rate its own accessories catalog, per the MB web site. Does anyone out there have a good dog barrier solution (gate, net, etc.?) Most of the after-market ones are poor fits for this car and rattle escessively. I'm spoiled in this area after having a Volvo, which has available every load handling solution you can imagine.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I saw your other post on the barrier and we tried everything to no avail. What we did was fasten a line to the 2 rear most d rings in the floor and then run a very short leash from that to the collar while young dog is in the back. The old guy doesn't move around but the little guy always wants to be in the action. Anyway, it also prevents him from jumping out when you pop the back so it is a win win.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just purchased a 07 R320 CDI this weekend with 22k miles. It has the p2, rear air, navi, rear entertainment, etc...Paid a little too much for it but it had everything I wanted. Knowing that if I don't get what I was looking, I would eventually sell it.

As for the poster commenting about the oil requirement of 229.5. I managed to find them at Autozone Mobile 1 European Car 0w-40W.

·
Registered
R320CDI
42 Posts
I only use Motul oils. They have products approved for all the M-B specification requirements for all the various M-B engines. Since they sponsor my race team, I use their products in everything. Any Motul dealer/distributor can get 229.51 Specific.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update on some mileage numbers:
I have had a few tanks now and I hand calculate the numbers to with which I have gone as good as 7.9L/100km which I am impressed with.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts