Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how does it feel? the clutch and the short throw shifter
and comparing to other manual transmission??

thanks

·
Registered
SLK350
108 Posts
Quick and nimble.. Often goes up to red line on first (you have to shift real fast, still getting used to it) wish 1st was a bit longer, however it picks up like a crazy mofo... LOL

Gear box is tight and smooth - haven't tried power shifting yet (clutches shifting based on RPM speed, when the gear gate is automatically open, so you can shift in and out of gears without the clutch), so I can't comment on how well they synchro mesh is.

·
Registered
SLK 200, Golf V GTI
269 Posts
Love it! Certainly helps me get the most out of the little 1.8 litre engine. Shifting through the gears is a pleasure, it's nice and notchy without being too hard to use, and clutch is a doddle to use (but a bit lighter than say a boxster or Z4)

·
Registered
R171 SLK200
145 Posts
I will buck with tradition and say it's not a bad shift compared with a SLK320 I had on extended test drive a couple of years ago whose ratios were wide and the gate notchy. Ended up hitting the hazard light switch with my knuckle quite a bit!
Don't do it so much these days in my 200. But it's not as fluid as a Boxster's gearbox or as well engineered as a BMW.

·
Registered
SLK350
834 Posts
I drive a manual SLK350...love the transmission. Feels really solid...the gears slot into place nicely. One issue I had is that the throws are somewhat long, but this seems to be common among European cars (same issue with the E46 M3). I had a short shifter kit on my previous car ('01 Civic) and the throws were much better. Also, it seems like the clutch pedal travel is unnecessarily long. It catches somewhere in the middle, but it's like twice the pedal travel as my old car. It'll take some getting used to, but I've gotten the hang of it enough to double-clutch on downshifts pretty well. From what I hear of the R170 manuals, I think the one in the R171 is leaps and bounds above the old one. I'm definitely glad to see more people drive the manual in the SLK over the 7G. =) And I'm glad that Mercedes decided to put a manual in the new SLK, otherwise I wouldn't get the car.

·
Registered
'05 SLK350
73 Posts
All in all I'm happy with the manual tranny in my SLK350. It took me a little getting used to as it feels a little different from all my other current/recent cars, but I'm used to it now. Good clutch, nice short throws, a little notchy.

My only complaint is the ratios. A little low in my opinion. The engine has such good torque down low that I would rather have a little taller gearing.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it seems the manual is a lot like the m3
i have order the 350 last month and haven't had a chance to test drive manual or auto
the dealer doesn't have car in stock at all
thanks for the reply everyone

how come they don't make a 55 manual?
it seems like the 55 in manual will be fun~~~~

·
Registered
SLK350
834 Posts
I concur on the ratios. 1st gear definitely could do a lot more, while 2nd gear really pulls. 6th gear should keep the revs lower while cruising.

·
Registered
SLK350, BMW K1200LT
808 Posts
slktyperice - 5/10/2005 7:00 PM

I concur on the ratios. 1st gear definitely could do a lot more, while 2nd gear really pulls. 6th gear should keep the revs lower while cruising.
I love it on my 350 - as a couple of peeps have said, 1st is tooooooo short, but once you get moving, bang it into 2nd 3rd 4th etc. Far better than the box on the R170 - I've never driven an auto R171 or R10, BUT imho manual is the only way to go. I'd like to see a couple of road tests on the manual box - manufacturers figures reckon the auto is faster.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
can someone teach me how to read the gear/ratio for the slk so i can compare it with other cars?

slk 350
gear/ratio
1/4.46
2/2.61
3/1.17
4/1.25
5/1.00
6/0.84

does that mean that bigger ratio number = shorter gear?

thanks

·
Registered
06 SLK 55 Firemist
1,580 Posts
lawgee - 5/9/2005 2:37 PM

can someone teach me how to read the gear/ratio...

thanks
It's the ratio of crankcase RPM's to Rear deferential RPM's here is a site to help explain gear ratios.
http://science.howstuffworks.com/gear-ratio1.htm

·
Registered
SLK 350, '04 C 320C
66 Posts
We drove an automatic and ended up ordering the manual in our SLK350. We've been very pleased. No "issues" and the car is a delight to drive. For us, the manual was the proper choice.

·
Registered
SLK350
693 Posts
pretty pleased.
A few times I have hit the limiter before I know it, and it takes a well tuned ear to tell the difference between 4500 and 6000 revs, after 4500 its howling and next I know I have hit the rev limiter. So I look at the rev readout more to check where we are.
On this issue the auto has a head start because it can go into the 6000 rpm band and change just before the limiter, thats hard to get right in the manual.

My other issue is a couple of times I found it was hard to get to 3rd from 2nd. The gate seems to be further to the right than I expect, and I have missed it a few times and had to move around to find it.

And I agree it would have been better to make 1st go further, up to maybe 45mph.

·
Registered
SLK350, BMW K1200LT
808 Posts
joyfulheart - 5/10/2005 6:07 PM

pretty pleased.
A few times I have hit the limiter before I know it, and it takes a well tuned ear to tell the difference between 4500 and 6000 revs, after 4500 its howling and next I know I have hit the rev limiter. So I look at the rev readout more to check where we are.
On this issue the auto has a head start because it can go into the 6000 rpm band and change just before the limiter, thats hard to get right in the manual.

My other issue is a couple of times I found it was hard to get to 3rd from 2nd. The gate seems to be further to the right than I expect, and I have missed it a few times and had to move around to find it.

And I agree it would have been better to make 1st go further, up to maybe 45mph.
Hi your Joyfulness - the box is centre weighted (3rd up, 4th down) - wherever you leave the lever it will centre between 3rd & 4th. If you're goin up or down the gears, just leave a tiny, delay, when your'e goin from 2nd to 3rd or 5th down to 4th - the lever allways centres itself. Just take the pressure off your hand for a nano second whilst goin through the middle of the box, and you cant defeat it - 1st is still faaaaaaaaar to short though - might get quicker times, starting in 2nd.

·
Registered
SLK350, BMW K1200LT
808 Posts
lawgee - 5/11/2005 9:21 PM

what's the max speed when 1st gear hits 6000 revs??

thanks~~~~~~~~~~~
I'd have to check, but it seems about 20 - 25 mph - could be better starting in 2nd and ride the clutch a bit

·
Registered
SLK 350
378 Posts
I have a manual 350 - a lot better than my manual R170.

You can start off in 1st or 2nd with no difficulties, just drive away like normal. I have accidently driven off in 3rd, and that was ok as well, just.

You can also, drive around at 30mph in 6th quite happily, it has the torque to pull away if required.
(A lot slower than the lower gears, of course !)

·
Registered
SLK350
693 Posts
Woolly - 5/10/2005 3:20 PM
Hi your Joyfulness - the box is centre weighted (3rd up, 4th down) - wherever you leave the lever it will centre between 3rd & 4th. If you're goin up or down the gears, just leave a tiny, delay, when your'e goin from 2nd to 3rd or 5th down to 4th - the lever allways centres itself. Just take the pressure off your hand for a nano second whilst goin through the middle of the box, and you cant defeat it - 1st is still faaaaaaaaar to short though - might get quicker times, starting in 2nd.
Good tip, thanks Wooly. And I will try starting in second too, it goes against all my ingrained habits but....

1 - 20 of 36 Posts