Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

641 - 652 of 652 Posts

·
Registered
1996 SL500, 2000 E430
3,776 Posts
Well I’m catching up. Mine has 112,000 miles now. Got it about two years ago when it had 75,000 miles

·
Registered
2002 E320
42 Posts
I have 44,000 miles on my 98 E320. I was wondering if these V6 engines will go long like the old inline 6 from the pre-1993 W124. I have had 2 of those W124 and put over 200,000 on each. Still have one running strong.
Anybody out there have over 200,000 miles on a W210? If so, how has the maintenance been?
I recently did some work on a 98 ML320 with the same engine and transmission as your E320. Soon it will be wearing a 500,000Km badge. Still runs very well. The owner puts it on the Interstate several times a month for a 100+ mile trip in mixed traffic. It is also driven locally daily. Here are some maintenance items we encountered: Vacuum line from lower front side of intake manifold was brittle and rotten. It is vacuum source for part of secondary air system. There are several writeups on how to deal with it. If you get a secondary air system DTC, don't assume it is the pump. Make sure the two valves are opening that port pump output into the exhaust on both sides. Also got a DTC indicating a cooling system problem. There were two issues. A plastic Y connector in the cooling system had a hairline crack that leaked under pressure. Also the thermostat was not closing completely, resulting in longer warmup time than expected in cold weather. Slow warmup will result in a DTC. Thermostat was original. Easy to replace. Plug life is still good. No problems with ignition or fuel injection. Valve covers may need new gaskets and breathers may need to be resealed. You can anticipate EGR trouble eventually. More likely to see clogged tube or vacuum actuator failure than outright EGR valve failure. Only thing we noticed that may be difficult to deal with is an oil leak on the back end of the engine. Might be rear bearing seal. If you haven't done so, consider changing your engine mounts. You will be amazed how smooth it still runs. The M112 looks like a good engine to me, compared to experience with domestic and asian vehicles I have worked on. Given the age of your car, watch for vacuum lines that are hardening or no longer fit well. If you haven't had a leak in the evap emission system (fuel tank vent) yet, you will. Get the gear oil changed in the differential on the same schedule as your transmission fluid changes. Happy Motoring!

·
Registered
69 6.3, 69 280 SE Cp low grill, 76 6.9, 67 250 SL, 2 350 SL 4 sp, 65 220 SEb Cp, 92 500E
29 Posts
Hello, My name is Jeff and I live in Nazareth PA. USA. I have a very ugly 1997 E300 D NA and I have 301,744 as of today. I owned it a couple years ago, sold it and bought it back in September of 2019. I use it for a commute of 150 mile round trip a couple times a week.

·
Registered
2001 w210 E430
7 Posts
226,000 on mine! Nothing major ever needing replaced... have had issues with little things here and there mainly electrical.. but I love this car, and it's still loving me back..!

641 - 652 of 652 Posts