Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

561 - 580 of 603 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Nearing 240,000 km so 149K miles, differential whine at about 60 mph, engine is solid and tranny has a mild clunk when coasting.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 1998 E320 w210 M112941 has 248,000 km (or 155,000miles). Lately I had to replace the Elec Conductor Plate, filter, and plug. Oil was a little dirty so did a total clean which took a few hours. Also found the plug 7mm nut stripped and ended up breaking the plastic holder to get it out. Other than that the MAF filter seems to be the only thing that needs replacement every 2 - 3 yrs - runs like a dream.
A special thanks for all the chaps who posted pics on transmission maintenance - a real help so thank you for making my maintenance easier.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Look out guys, I got another E320 this time a wagon with almost 260,000Km on the clock. I picked it up for a grand CDN or for those of you who can't figure it out that's equal to about $.79 US :grin

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Look out guys, I got another E320 this time a wagon with almost 260,000Km on the clock. I picked it up for a grand CDN or for those of you who can't figure it out that's equal to about $.79 US :grin
If it has had regular service and no rust that is quite a bargain!

I'm wondering if there is any major difference between cars imported to Canada and here? I know they have to have the headlights on at all times? Or are running lights fine (as they do here now)

·
Registered
176 Posts
I have 44,000 miles on my 98 E320. I was wondering if these V6 engines will go long like the old inline 6 from the pre-1993 W124. I have had 2 of those W124 and put over 200,000 on each. Still have one running strong.
Anybody out there have over 200,000 miles on a W210? If so, how has the maintenance been?
Mine went to 233K and was still going before I traded for the ML350. Make sure you get the ATF changed and kept up. The EGR does throw a code but nothing major. The driver side valve cover does leak in the back and oil will drip to the exhaust so will need a change probably at 80K. I loved my 98E320 had it for 13 years and got it at 97K, I would have kept it but wanted to upgrade to a more modern car. :grin

·
Registered
5 Posts
There's not really a lot different between US models and Canadian except the DRLs, and the speedometer in Canada is metric. there may be a few aesthetic changes but that's pretty much all I know of.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Just crossed over 100k miles on my 96 E320 base model last week. Only have had it since September last year. No major issues (knock on fake wood). Only replaced tires, engine oil/filter twice, brake pads and rotors (front and back incl parking brake pads), driver seat belt tensioner, and MAF. All of which you can argue are to be expected (or are wearable items)...

I noticed that some members have gone over 300k miles. I wonder if they have had to have their valve train redone and/or timing chain, sprockets and tensioners replaced?

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
I'm making up for lost "miles" on my 2000 E430. I got it with 76,000-78,000 miles (forget which) almost 2 years ago, and how have 98,000. Uses virtually no oil. Had synthetic (mostly Mobil 1) all its life, as an FSS car should.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just bought a 2001 E430 in as-close-as-I've-ever-seen to Mint condition with 89K on the odometer. It will be my daily driver, so I'm sure that will tick up rapidly.

Before this, I had a 2000 E320 4MATIC that ticked over to about 215K before I sold it. It was still going strong, but the rust had made even the slightest issue a nightmare.

·
Registered
146 Posts
603,491 miles on my E300. Original engine, transmission, and rear differential. It still runs nice and looks good. I have no plans on replacing it. I am going for a million miles. I am the original owner. Bought from Beck Imports DFW, Texas. European Delivery.

Dave
Wow! I think you might have the high mileage award! :D Did you REALLY not need to have the timing chain, cam and crank gears and upper valve train replaced (or re-machined)? If they are also original, then I'm having a hard time believing it... ;)

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
I replaced the timing chain around 250,000 miles thinking that it needed it, however there was no noticeable wear. The rest of the valve train is original. It turned over 605,000 miles last night and runs very nicely.

Dave

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
I have a German friend who has had Mercedes for 50 years. Had a W116 for 600,000 miles until someone rear ended it. Original transmission.

Has a 2006 W211 diesel that he has been spending a lot of money replacing parts - injectors, radiator, I forget the rest. 200K miles. Says it isn't like his other diesels. Maybe the W210 was the last good diesel?

561 - 580 of 603 Posts