Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many miles/years do the original shocks last? Since they are 32 years old I'm considering replacing them.

·
Super Moderator
85 Audi Coupe Quattro, 85 Audi Coupe GT, 71 BMW turbo 2002, 73 BMW 2002tii, 85 BMW 635csi
18,253 Posts
50k, sooner if you drive on rough roads or subjected to freezing temperatures. Another consideration is time, as rubber dries over time depending on your environment.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
50k, sooner if you drive on rough roads or subjected to freezing temperatures. Another consideration is time, as rubber dries over time depending on your environment.
Wow that's not very many miles are you sure about that? If that's the case my shocks are 32 years old and 50,000 miles past change date.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 116 with original 33 year-old shocks and I've driven another with relatively new shocks. I can tell the difference by how the original shocks don't absorb bumps as gently as the newer shocks. But the difference in ride quality is minimal.

Front shocks are easy to swap; rears require back seat removal. This is an issue only because removing the seat back will disturb the now embrittled horsehair seat pad and any dried out seat leather (normally on top next to hat shelf).

·
Registered
2008 E350 4Matic
302 Posts
How many miles/years do the original shocks last? Since they are 32 years old I'm considering replacing them.
I've heard 100-150K miles, but in your case 32 yrs ?!
What are you waiting for the coming of the archangel to announce the event? Seriously they are looong overdue, the ride may still be ok but their ability to absorb is greatly reduced.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've heard 100-150K miles, but in your case 32 yrs ?!
What are you waiting for the coming of the archangel to announce the event? Seriously they are looong overdue, the ride may still be ok but their ability to absorb is greatly reduced.
LOL, just checking. The ride is fine so I was questioning if I should spend the money.

·
Registered
2006 E320 CDI
386 Posts
LOL, just checking. The ride is fine so I was questioning if I should spend the money.
I had a 85 300D and replaced the shocks at 220K miles and they made a difference but nothing earth shattering. If the car rides good save your money for when they really need replacing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts