Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Mercedes 600 Coupe & 1995 500 Coupe, 2004 Yamaha R1 200hp 360 pounds
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know its BAD to let our 140s get low on gas as all the crud is at the bottom of the gas tank but how far have any of you guys gone after the gas light turns orange? :cool:

·
Registered
1991 Mercedes Benz 300E, 179K, stock, daily driver
1,689 Posts

·
Registered
1997 S500V, 1999 S500 grand edition, 2006 s65 amg
7,356 Posts
on my 97 s500 sedan i get about 50-55miles on the streets i had this happen once when i had a long trip but i filled up all the way when i got home. sometimes you can't stop when its reaching a destination before its too late in my case i had to see my uncle when he got to the hospital. the gas gauge still showed about 5mm gap before the endpoint. but i had a service done at Mercedes dealer and they bought me 1 gallon of fuel for free. mercedes road side assistant is pretty good. its the only reason i spend $180 at service every 1 and a 1/2 year(s) they also jump the car for free, replace the battery, and put the spare wheel on. also they tow it to a mercedes dealer for free.

·
Registered
1998 Mercedes-Benz S500
929 Posts
I'm always, and I repeat: always get 25-35 miles on the low fuel light before i'm going to the gas station.

·
Registered
7,356 Posts
I'm always, and I repeat: always get 25-35 miles on the low fuel light before i'm going to the gas station.
its not good for the car to run near empty but that gas prices are at $4.40 for premium over here i can't blame anyone. as matter of fact i probably only have 2-3 gallons in my w140 right now since its been at the shop for a while now. i need to get my w140 o2 sensor harness repaired :( waiting for our buddy eddie to message me back. i drive the car but not alot since the issue. i have a p0150 and p0160 but the car drives perfect.

·
Registered
1998 Mercedes-Benz S500
929 Posts
Thanks! I know! But you know, i always fill the gas after i get 25-35 miles on a LFL (low fuel light) and always (for past 3.5 years) get the almost same 400-430 miles on full tank (80% city driving). So in this case, i know, that my MPG IS THE SAME, plus in this case i know that everything is work like it's should, and i have no problem with my fuel/injector system.

P.S. I'm using chevron gas station only!!!

·
Registered
7,356 Posts
Thanks! I know! But you know, i always fill the gas after i get 25-35 miles on a LFL (low fuel light) and always (for past 3.5 years) get the almost same 400-430 miles on full tank (80% city driving). So in this case, i know, that my MPG IS THE SAME, plus in this case i know that everything is work like it's should, and i have no problem with my fuel/injector system.

P.S. I'm using chevron gas station only!!!
i too only use chevron but some times mobil 1. i use to use shell nitrogen gas but now they mix it with natural gas or something like that. but chevron is great gas plus it burns better. also i have heard that people should not fill up more then 3/4 of the tank.

·
Registered
1997 E320, 1997 S320
2,946 Posts
i hardly ever leave it the tank low enough for the light to turn on, but i remember doing about 50 miles with light on once or twice.
on the e320 i have gone 80 miles one time on the highway until a gas station came up, and still there was half gallon left in tank.

·
Registered
1997 Mercedes 600 Coupe & 1995 500 Coupe, 2004 Yamaha R1 200hp 360 pounds
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
whats weird is i have NEVER had to fill my 140s up more then 22 gallons so i always assumed that was all the tank held. Even when the light comes on im filling them up right away cuz i thought they were empty :)

·
Registered
1992 Mercedes-Benz 600SEL
135 Posts
I not sure about mine, but I know when that light comes on I try not to plan too long of a drive. I also make sure I don't put my foot on the pedal as that V12 is thirsty! lol

·
Registered
94 s420 250kmiles
827 Posts
i helped a friend pull his fuel tank once on his 500 and we drove around on the last line under the light for 30 miles till we decided it should be low enough.

·
Registered
1995 Mercedes-Benz S420 (W140), 1997 BMW 740iL (E38), 2011 C300 Luxury (W204)
1,314 Posts
I got something around 70 miles before and I barely made it to the usual gas station near my apartment (I was coming home from Los Angeles). The needle on the gauge was exactly on 0 when I filled her up.

Can someone explain how running it low is bad due to "dirtier" fuel at the bottom of the tank? I can't understand that concept because the fuel coming from the bottom of the tank to begin with...

I do know that if you run on low a lot, you'll leave a lot of empty space in the tank, allowing more surface area for condensation and the condensation is what will add water to your tank.

·
Registered
1991 Mercedes Benz 300E, 179K, stock, daily driver
1,689 Posts
Lets say your cruising in your big v12 on the highway and your on a trip, you don't see a gas station ahead nor a sign for one, you know the car will be doing roughly 22mpg since its already at its full momentum, no need to accelerate just use cruise. The gas tank reserve is about 3 gallons and so 22x3= 66 miles so for a reserve and a tank that's good mileage to find a gas station plus as long as you keep it on 3/4 or 2/4 you'll be fine because you'll only need to add to it and not buy a full tank just half or 1/4.

·
Premium Member
1999 S600 Sedan, 1999 S600 w/ 4-pl seating, 1995 S600 Coupe, 2-1992 600SEL's, 2002 ML55, 1998 SL600
2,425 Posts
Part of putting my 1992 back together was letting the existing gas tank run out of fuel. I wanted to make sure there wasn't anything in the tank other than gas as the car had been sitting for so long.

Letting the car run out of gas, changing the fuel filter, I found NOTHING was in the tank or the gas that was unusual or bad.

I guess that old worry about not letting the tank get too low because you don't know what's in the bottom of the gas tank is only good in rare cases.

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
Not letting the fuel run too low dates back to the 70's. Back then, fuel tanks were made from steel and rusted. If the rust flaked off it would sit at the bottom of the tank. Having a very low level allowed the fuel to slosh around enough for some of it to get into the pick-up.

The cars ran with carburettors, meaning low pressure fuel pumps down in the engine bay. Easy for them to be overcome by a blockage and not draw the fuel down the line.

And, petrol was dirtier back then. I remember as a kid an ad for BP spruiking their "final filter clean" advantage. They stuck filters on the ends of the hoses.

None of this applies to modern cars. Station pumps have filters built into them and nobody makes a big deal about it, tanks are made of plastic and don't rust, and high pressure electric pumps located near the tank have large filters just before them and usually there is another smaller one just before the fuel rail. Pretty hard for anything to get clogged up these days.

·
W140 Moderator
"CHRIS" Merc 92 600SEL / Sold > 93 600SE / 93 S500 / 89 560SEL / 413CDI / B180-CDI /A170-CDI
7,642 Posts
Fast forward the video below to 1:45 .That guy (Scotty) has some good tips as well in his video section . :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
Fast forward the video below to 1:45 .That guy (Scotty) has some good tips as well in his video section . :thumbsup:
Dumb Things NOT To Do To Your Car - YouTube
I couldn't watch that video at work the other day and only just remembered it.

The dumbest thing you can do to a car is take advice from a guy like this. As soon as I hear something like ignore what the manufacturer says about oil change intervals because I know better a big red flag goes up.

But to stay on topic, the bit about burning out an EFI fuel pump is BS. The pumps have a pressure switch that will cause them to deactivate within seconds if the fuel line cannot be pressurised. It's a safety feature. Lack of pressure in the line could indicate a leak and to keep running might mean spewing petrol all over the ground. They are engineered to avoid this.

Another dumb thing to do near your car is to short out jumper cables to make pretty sparks. Starting a fire is easy. This guy is just a cowboy trying to make a name for himself on Youtube. Be wary of people like this.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts