Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the computer goes 15,000 miles until an oil change is needed, however I am concerned with that train of thought. Mercedes also said our transmissions were sealed for life and the fluid never needed to be changed and we have all seen evidence that the trans likes fresh fluid.
I havent owned the car long enough to hit the 15,000 mark(since last oil change) to change the oil but have never ran oil for 15000 and was wondering if anyone had any opinions on the subject.

Thanks in advance for your answers.

·
Registered
'03 Z4, '02 E55, '11 ML350
710 Posts
Hello,

In my E55, fresh oil and filter every 5K miles. Cheap insurance, piece of mind, etc. I drive a lot of short distances. I use a topsider, so I'm no longer crawling under the car. The E55's are very easy to change.

Every 50K on tranny and rear diff.

Maybe too often for some, but my experience has shown me this works.:thumbsup:

Good luck with yours.

Cheers!

Mike K.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I used synthetic, and I change every 3500 miles, but I live in Puerto Rico and its very hot. Also thats the life of my car......
luis..........

·
Registered
710 Posts
I will dump it tonight! How does that topsider work? Are you able to get all ten quarts out?
The topsider works great.:thumbsup: I highly recommend it.

I only get eight quarts out. That's the listed capacity. If you're putting ten in, I would think you'd have some issues with your engine.

Good luck.

Mike K.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah it is 8 quarts instead of ten, I think I was thinking of the trans capacity if you drain the torque converter it takes ten quarts to refill! I put 8 quarts back in and the level isnt all the way up to full. It must be the way they designed the dipstick maybe it is used for more than one engine.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Folks,

There are a number of different extractors, Topsider, Mityvac 7201 and Griot's has one.

I've only used the Topsider.

Either way, it's far easier and a cleaner way to keep that oil changed.

Take care.

Mike K.

·
Registered
2004 Mercedes-Benz S55 ///AMG, 2006 Mercedes-Benz E350
685 Posts
My only concern with getting the oil out from the top is that there is always some old, dirty oil full of contaminents left in there.

The maintenance sensor in the MB's is comprised of two electrodes with oil passing through them. The elctrical conductivity increases as the oil gets dirtier with more metal particles floating in the oil, so it is not solely based on mileage and actual condition of the Mobil 1 oil. So, it is a good indicator of when to change the oil.

·
Registered
'01 E55 AMG
334 Posts
Let the car tell you when to change the oil and only use Royal Purple 0W40 and change the oil filter every 5,000 miles then add some oil to bring it back up to 8 qt.'s. Change the transmission oil (use factory oil only) and filter every 40,000 miles then the rear diff. oil every 50,000 miles with Royal Purple.

You can do all this yourself just need a few tools, jack stands and a good floor jack. Be safe read up here in the forums how to do each change I have listed above. Have fun!!

http://as.autoforums.com/as/www/delivery/ck.php?oaparams=2__bannerid=1524__zoneid=2__cb=c220a31872__oadest=http://ad.doubleclick.net/jump/N3175.Benzworld.org/B3234881.2;click0=http://as.autoforums.com/as/www/delivery/ck.php?oaparams=2__bannerid=1524__zoneid=2__cb=c220a31872__oadest=;sz=728x90;ord=c220a31872?

·
Registered
2001 E55
117 Posts
I go every 3000 miles with Royal Purple. Even Wal-Mart sells the stuff now. I get the big containers for around $27.00. I know every 3K is excessive, but so is the duration of time I plan on owning the car.

·
Registered
2001 E55 AMG, 2001 C240 & 1999 E320
21 Posts
Hello,

In my E55, fresh oil and filter every 5K miles. Cheap insurance, piece of mind, etc. I drive a lot of short distances. I use a topsider, so I'm no longer crawling under the car. The E55's are very easy to change.

Every 50K on tranny and rear diff.

Maybe too often for some, but my experience has shown me this works.:thumbsup:

Good luck with yours.

Cheers!

Mike K.

Me too every 5k, had the computer changed to 5k too.. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Very good responses! Thanks. I drive mostly highway so I will probably be a little closer to the 8k to 10k when I change it. Will probably stay with mobil 1 as I ran it in a turbo bike I had and it did a good job at protecting an engine in an extreme environment. Well extreme when it was on boost anyways!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts