Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2006 CLS 500
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am usually very particular about keeping my take atleast half full during the winter, however this seeing as this week has been rough, I completely forgot to fill up last night! This morning the gas light came on and I have some questions about the CLS500 (2006)...

1) How many miles (estimate) do you have before the car will run out of gas?
2) What are the mechanical consequences of running out of gas?
3) Is there a way to see how many miles you have left in your tank?

I did fill up to avoid anything terrible happening...and was late to work! :banghead:

·
Registered
1922 Ford T no OBD, no ECU, no SCN
37,854 Posts
Each car is different. My VW Rabbit diesel was making 150 miles with fuel gauge on zero. I hate pulling to gas station with gas tank 1/3 full like most people do, so at one point of getting new car I always try to drive long on reserve with spare can in the trunk. Most of the cars make 60-70 miles on reserve at high speeds, what should give 100 at 60 mph.
I always zero trip odometer at fill up and drive by the safe miles I figured on the tank, not paying too much attention to the unreliable gauges. No problem of running out of gas, when electric pump will pump added fuel in a second. Older diesel had hard time to bleed air from the lines, but my 97 300D took only 40 seconds of cranking after replacing fuel filter to start up.
In another words- you overreacted and made emergency fill up having at least 3 gallons in the tank.

·
Registered
2006 ML350
615 Posts
5IVE said:
I am usually very particular about keeping my take atleast half full during the winter, however this seeing as this week has been rough, I completely forgot to fill up last night! This morning the gas light came on and I have some questions about the CLS500 (2006)...

1) How many miles (estimate) do you have before the car will run out of gas?
2) What are the mechanical consequences of running out of gas?
3) Is there a way to see how many miles you have left in your tank?

I did fill up to avoid anything terrible happening...and was late to work! :banghead:
1) Depends on your driving style and conditions
2) nothing to worry about if you run out once in a while
3) Yes, i am sure you have a on board computer that show you real time miles left based on your current driving condition

Also, why do you fill up when the tank is half full? What does that do. I always fill up both my cars when the low light comes on (or close to that point). Am I doing something wrong?

·
Registered
2006 CLS 500
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've heard (not actual technical info) that there's a certain amount of impurities/debris that can build up in your gas tank through time. If you let the gas get too low, those impurities can make their way into the fuel line. Another reason I keep the tank close to half full is that I'm paranoid that with these sub zero temperatures (in Chicago) that the gas will become semi-solid if there is very little in the tank. Finally, I am prone to getting lost, so I would rather have gas and be lost than be out of gas and lost. Again this is all hearsay, but it doesn't hurt to stay on the safe side.

·
Registered
37,854 Posts
BigKutta said:
3) Yes, i am sure you have a on board computer that show you real time miles left based on your current driving condition
Not true. At least on our ML. The trip computer goes from "70 miles range" when the gauge gets close to the reserve to "FUEL, FUEL. FUEL" when the light comes on.
Lot of myths. Gasoline never can get solid. Diesel #2 can turn into jello at low temperatures.

·
Registered
S500/W220/2000
21,652 Posts
My S-class has several helpful screens that I can refer to when low on gas, and your CLS certainly should too. Yesterday for example, I was returning home from the airport and, using my steering wheel controls, I went to the data screen that has milage, gas usage, etc. information: Since Start, Since Reset, and Tank Contents. The Tank Contents screen shows miles/gal and miles left based on current driving conditions. It showed how many miles I could go, how many gals of gas, etc. Then, using my NAV, got destination information for the trip Home, which counts down miles to destination. Though my reserve light was on, I know I could go at least 78 miles and the NAV screen showed I was only 30 miles from home, so I absolutely had nothing to worry about.

It is good that you usually don't run your tank close to empty because the fuel pump in our car's gas tank uses the gasoline as a coolant and will burn out much sooner in tanks that are chronically run w/ low fuel levels. I define that as less than a 1/4 tank, so I almost never let my tank get below that.

·
Registered
37,854 Posts
BigKutta said:
I always fill up both my cars when the low light comes on (or close to that point). Am I doing something wrong?
Nothing technically wrong. You just wasting your time and and gasoline/car wear for driving to gas station without the need.
Than it is your time and your money.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.