Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

How long you had you're 126 for and how much longer?

7K views 91 replies 79 participants last post by  DISGOFAST 
#1 ·
Been driving this since 2000....want to get into something newer soon such as W202.

But the car has been in the family since 92.

#3 ·
Owned the SE since Jan, lusted after it for about 3 years prior to that and hope to keep it for a long time.

#6 ·
I picked out our 420 SEL in 1987, had it until it got hit by a corvette. I've had my 560 SEC since 2001. Don't plan on selling it. EVER. I'll have it stored when i get cryogenically suspended so i can drive it when i get reanimated in 3000 A.E. (after eddie). Of course i'll upgrade it to anti-grav, wormhole tunneling, and hyperdrive, with forcefield.

#7 ·
The 300SD was my mom's daily driver from 1988 to 1999. From 1999 to 2001, it sat up in a parking garage where my dad works, driven every few months, and then was revived and driven daily by my dad in late 2001. I started driving it in July 2002, but stopped in October 2004 when I got the 300D. Now, it's my dad's daily driver again, slowly getting restored.
-Joe

#9 ·
My 300SD has been in the family since 82' so that what 23 years? Its in decent shape, needs some work on the interior minor stuff nothing some Leatherique coudnlt fix (i think). The exterior could use a paint job-i think, one of the bumpers could use a rechrome or somthing like that. Aside from that and the transmission needing rebuilt shes in good shape.. I just put in a new stereo, rear deck speakers, subwoofers in the trunk, hood pad, and dynamat in the trunk...I intent do keep it until I am put 6 feet under..which will be a long time considering I am just 17. ((you hear that car! Live damn you!)) LOL...

Kris

#10 ·
DEF-C - 3/19/2005 8:57 AM

next month i got it a year

gonna sell it as fast as possible since its killing me, i CAN afford it but i don´t like to anymore since there are alot of little things to do, i don´t wanna have a daily that i have to restore...

Sounds a lot like the woman I bought the SE from. At a certain point I think it's best for a lot of these cars to be turned into weekenders.

#11 ·
my 91' 560SEL was bought new sat in the garage for many years tho thats why right now it only as 60K on the clock... never wanna sell it cuz its such a nice car with all records but might have to sell it in a few years down cuz i'm goin to college and cant bring it with me and my rents might be leavin back to hong kong.... who knows

#12 ·
Bought my '87 300SDL in 2001, after my wife totalled my '77 240D stick. Have put lots of money and labor/time into it. Just did the guide rods this past week. What a PITA!!! But I got it done. Rides a lot better now. I presently have 253k on it. I think I'll keep it until it dies. Then I'll try to fix it for as long as I can. The best thing is that my wife also loves the SDL. I get around 22 mpg in the city, 26 mpg combined highway and city, and I've gotten 33-34 mpg on straight highway driving.

I just can't stand the price of diesel nowadays. Really SUCKS!!

Also, I will never get rid of my W126 for a W140/toaster on wheels!!

#14 ·
have had the car since 1989....since new.

got about 91k on it now....lots of niggly bits that need attention and replacement, but most likely if i can i'll hold onto it for the forseeable future....just don't feel like selling it....

#18 ·
My parents bought the 1985 300sd new in April on 1985, and have had ever since. Handed down to me in 2001, and I will keep FOREVER. The 1986 300sdl, on the otherhand, we got in 2002 and I hope that we get rid of it ASAP, that thing is a bucket!!! But don't tell it I told you that, because I have to drive it when my 300sd is in the shop.

#19 ·
My parents bought the 1985 300sd new in April of 1985, and have had ever since. Handed down to me in 2001, and I will keep FOREVER. The 1986 300sdl, on the otherhand, we got in 2002 and I hope that we get rid of it ASAP, that thing is a bucket!!! But don't tell it I told you that, because I have to drive it when my 300sd is in the shop.

#20 ·
Parents got it in 1985 and we have had it since. Mom drove it till mid 90s then we got the w140 so dad drove it, along with other cars (STS, jag, suburban)
then we had electrical issues with the car, i guess when it was converted for smog, we must have taken it to someone fishy and they fuckedup the cat. Then in the end of 2000 the W220 came, mom took that, dad took the w140 and my jetta , god bless her, past on after 10 yrs took me thru HS, undergrad and most of med school. Then came the rebirth of the w126. and here we are today,
we have orders for the new S and a cls55, but i think we will cancel those, because the other cars are running fine for now,
Gota go picup the wifes new c320, it should be at the dealer tommorow.

#21 ·
Had my 1988 300SE since August 99 and after putting 53,000 miles on it, I have done a valve job, all new brakes (rotors/pads/cal), drive shaft, two sets of tires, exhaust, and a few other things! Love it, but it is costly to keep rode worthy. More thanlikely will keep it for some time, must get that money out of it. Now at 149,000+ mile.

#23 ·
Bought the coupe in 1999 after grajiating college. It has seen the original 500 euro motor swapped to a euro 560, swapped to the 6.0. If/when I sell the coupe to the right buyer, I will then sell my 300E daily driver to get a '89+ W126. Seen/test drove too many W140's and W210's in the shop and they just don't do it for me.

#24 ·
I've had mine for almost a year now. I cannot imagine driving anything else. I always loved the MB's. I've rode in the newer cars and trucks, but just don't get the same safe feeling and driving satisfaction from them. All the new cars look nice but that's about it. Besides, I rather own and pay for needed repairs once in a while, then have that new car note every month and insurance for 3 - 4 years. Getting ready to do a complete upper cylinder rebuild. I plan on hitting the road a lot this coming summer!!! [8D]

#25 ·
I gotten mine in late 2003, its a 280SE , give me the whole new meaning to driving and my family also loves her. I will keep her forever and if my financial permits gonna get an SEC to keep her company in the garage [:D].

I 've even gone to the extent creating a website ( even though this is not all about W126 but I'm very determine to create online manual for her so that enthusiast all over the world or my kids can refer to in the future..). I'm serious .. http://www.mybenz.org . if you all wanna have a look.

Cheers!

#26 ·
Had mine for a year now. Its a beautiful car, which catches the eye of many, while driving. Awesome power too for such an old car. I however, may not be as loyal as many of your. I might end up selling it (for a higher price) in exchanged for a BMW 645, Lexus SC430, Merc CL 500/ SL 500. The road tax here and all is really high. Nevertheless. The car will remain with me for at least 2 more years, then i will give it to my son.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.