Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1999 S600
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I still have mixed pink and gray tails and cracks and condensation....

AND, I still have the ULO parts in the garage, waiting on some free time to get to them... How much time should I figure for the complete removal and replacement of all 3 pieces?

I'm hoping there's no rust behind the center strip by the locks ass'y, but I heard that's pretty common. If there is, i'll hit it with some POR-15 and seal it up.

Thanks!
Rob

·
Registered
1999 S500; W140.051
692 Posts
I have done this job on late W140 and it's pretty straightforward.

I don't think the paneling/lining on the sides needs to be removed, but the plastic cover at the back must be removed. It's handy to have some spares of the square plastic rivets.

Job may be easier on the rear lamps by removing the side paneling/lining. Plastic rivets are easy & straightforward. Left side is a little harder to get out because of audio power amp, but not hard.

Center 'Luminous Band' is fragile in the middle at the thin-wall section at the trunk lock, so you must tighten down evenly with care. Once they're broken in the middle, water leaks into the interior. Your old one probably already has this issue.

Luminous Band covers side lenses, so it's easiest if it's 1st off/last on. Nut access is thru hole in inner panel; piloting nut & washer without dropping pieces is a little finicky.

Best to thoroughly clean & wax body at sealing surface for the seals.

All together, it will take about 2 hrs and it's pretty leisurely car work.

·
Registered
1999 S600
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have done this job on late W140 and it's pretty straightforward.

I don't think the paneling/lining on the sides needs to be removed, but the plastic cover at the back must be removed. It's handy to have some spares of the square plastic rivets.

Job may be easier on the rear lamps by removing the side paneling/lining. Plastic rivets are easy & straightforward. Left side is a little harder to get out because of audio power amp, but not hard.

Center 'Luminous Band' is fragile in the middle at the thin-wall section at the trunk lock, so you must tighten down evenly with care. Once they're broken in the middle, water leaks into the interior. Your old one probably already has this issue.

Luminous Band covers side lenses, so it's easiest if it's 1st off/last on. Nut access is thru hole in inner panel; piloting nut & washer without dropping pieces is a little finicky.

Best to thoroughly clean & wax body at sealing surface for the seals.

All together, it will take about 2 hrs and it's pretty leisurely car work.
Great info, thank you!
Rob

·
Registered
99 SL500, 88 560SL, 97 S500, 87 BMW 635 CSi
40 Posts
I still have mixed pink and gray tails and cracks and condensation....

AND, I still have the ULO parts in the garage, waiting on some free time to get to them... How much time should I figure for the complete removal and replacement of all 3 pieces?

I'm hoping there's no rust behind the center strip by the locks ass'y, but I heard that's pretty common. If there is, i'll hit it with some POR-15 and seal it up.

Thanks!
Rob
Hey Rob, do you remember where you found the ULO parts and how have they held up?

·
Registered
1999 S600
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Rob, do you remember where you found the ULO parts and how have they held up?
They are still like new, VERY pleased with them. I don't recall exactly where I purchased them but likely it was Amazon, Peach Parts, AutoHauz, maybe eBay.. I'm sorry, I don't remember. But I would buy them again.

·
Registered
1999 S500; W140.051
692 Posts
I have also purchased the OEM ULO tail lamp assys Rt & Lft as well as the Luminous Band between them for the late style W140.

These seem to be NLA everywhere now.

Only source I could find for the tail lamps is Ebay 'unbranded', but there are multiple vendors showing pics that look just like the OE, i.e. not an LED array revision.

Luminous Band 140-820-5764 is NLA everywhere except MB, that is IF they actually have any.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts