Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking into the E550 for a little while, and while it seems that most '07s and even '08s are going for $27k to $35k. However, I'm much more partial to the newer 2010 models.

Options I need (non-negotiable):

split-folding rear seat--how rare are they?

bi-xenon lights--this requires the P2 package, right? How common is that, and how much does it effect the pre-owned price? (A bit upsetting--it seems like 1/3 of the cars on the road where I live have HID lights, and most aren't near as expensive as the E550.)

Premium sound system--seems like this is part of P1, so any car with HIDs should have it, right?

Other options would be nice, but are not deal-breakers.

My budget is semi-flexible, but I'd like to stay below $40k.

So... how long will I have to wait before I can find such a car at my budget (preferably around $35k)?

How cheap could I expect to find such a car as early as this summer? (I know that's above my budget... but how much?)

Thanks!

·
Registered
W212 E350: AMG Sport/P2/Pano/Etc. & '09 Chevy Malibu / Sold M-B's: '06 E350 & '02 S500
514 Posts
Prices are always all over the place on Used M-B's.

It depends on where you look. Auctions, etc. will have the cheapest prices. Higher mileage examples will drop the price drastically. Second hand car lots will have cheap prices. I don't know how long it'll take, and how much mileage an E550 will need to have before it hits $35K in even those.

I'd say, you can probably find a "below average" example within the next 2 years or so at $35K (E550).

As far as a CPO/Dealer car, it'll take a while.

·
Registered
ML550, W212 E350 4 matic, 1966 Corvette C2 convt.
2,675 Posts
You will get what you pay for. Bottom feeders usually do!!

·
Registered
2008 SLK 55 AMG
85 Posts
In the past I used to buy my Mercedes E and S class when they were approx. 3+ years old. That seems to be the usual time due to lease trade ins.
Although with the current economy people may hold on to their cars a little longer.
They all were 4matic,had P2 package and had approx. 35000 miles on them,
Price range was in the $34K to $38K dependent on the mileage.
Some of them were Pre-certified.
Prices vary as to where you live and it also is dependent on how fast the MB dealer wanted to move his lot of used cars.
I often looked at cars in a different region of the country and if I would find the deal I would buy a one way ticket and have drive it back or you can have it transported back.
I decided to go for new on the 2010 model due to the options I wanted. Night vision - Parktronics and the drive assist package with active cruise control. No regrets on that decision.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Split folding seats are rare not everyone orders them and the default seems to be not to have it. A p2 package E550 is between $65-$70k so $35k would but half the value. You may be able to pick one up next year when the new engines arrive. I dont know how much the new engines will hurt the current cars resale value but you could wait and see. If not I bet you could pick up a 09 W211 E550 for less than $35k when the new engines arrive.

·
Registered
W212 E350: AMG Sport/P2/Pano/Etc. & '09 Chevy Malibu / Sold M-B's: '06 E350 & '02 S500
514 Posts
Are '08 E550's avail for $35K yet, with moderate mileage?

That could be a good tell tale. Keep in mind, W212's will depreciate a lot less, being that they're the current running models.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the replies!

Are '08 E550's avail for $35K yet, with moderate mileage?
Yeah, there have been a few on ebay recently. I'd rather have an '09 because of the better stereo (among other things). I'm sure that by next summer I can find some '09s for less than $40k. If I buy private-party, can I still pay for the extended warranty from Mercedes? (If so, that would probably be cheaper than getting a "certified" dealer one--if I'm not mistaken the "certified" ones add as much as the price of the extended warranty, and only cover it for 1 extra year, vs 3 years. Perhaps if that's not allowed, I could get the previous owner to add the warranty right before I buy it...?)

There's a new engine coming out? Would that be for 2012? If the '09s will cost $35k next year, being one generation out of date, then the '10s should be $35k the year after, also being one generation out of date (if there's a new engine for 2012), right?

·
Registered
514 Posts
New engine and new generation are waaaaaaay different things.

The W212 will be the new generation/current generation for as long as the bodystyle is in production. Having a new engine will slightly hurt resale of the older engines, but not nearly as much as a whole new bodystyle coming out.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
New engine and new generation are waaaaaaay different things.

The W212 will be the new generation/current generation for as long as the bodystyle is in production. Having a new engine will slightly hurt resale of the older engines, but not nearly as much as a whole new bodystyle coming out.
Oh, so they're just changing the engine? How much of a difference do you think it will make in resale value of the '10s, then?

Personally, I'd be more effected by a different engine than a slightly different body... the engine is (obviously) much more important, and I'm guessing it also comes with a significant performance increase (or is it mainly just for emissions)?

·
Registered
514 Posts
It'll probably affect it just a little bit, and not too suddenly. M-B buyers in general don't care about engine stuff, so much.

To me, engine and HP was about last on my list regarding what I wanted out of this car, as long as it's bigger than a 4-banger, and had enough HP and TQ to feel like it's never straining, to give it a properly luxurious feel, which the 268 HP 3.5L does well enough for me. For me, the actual body style, and construction of the car, bones, chassis, etc. were the most important.

BUT, if you're not the same way, then definitely look for W211's with bigger engine choices. The W211 is a great, timeless, and capable car, even to todays standards.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the reply. I did some research, and while there's very little confirmed information about it, it looks like it'll be a 4.7L V8 with twin turbos. It adds about 20-30 each of hp and torque, but I think the main reason for the switch is emissions (from what I heard the current 5.5 engine is barely meeting the standards, now). The smaller displacement should help bring emissions down (and probably help mileage a bit.

However, it seems like many people are expecting problems with the new engine: mainly the direct injection system, so it seems wise for anyone interested to hold off for a year or so (which means it's definitely not something I should wait for).

I think my best bet is an '09. For the same price as a questionable '10, I can probably get a very nice '09, and I don't think I'll miss the style changes and the extra 2 speeds all that much (7 vs 5 for 4matic). Is the '09 a W211 or W212?

·
Registered
514 Posts
'09's a W211. Go for it, you'll be happy with it. Last year of the 211, and it has the AMG Package as standard. Get a well equipped example for sure.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
'09's a W211. Go for it, you'll be happy with it. Last year of the 211, and it has the AMG Package as standard. Get a well equipped example for sure.
I've thought about it more, and that's exactly what I'm going to do. I think it's a much better idea to get the last year of an old model, rather than the first year of a new one.

·
Registered
514 Posts
The late build MY 2010's are about "flawless" it seems, but either way, '09 or '10, you're getting a great car, that odds are is gonna be dependable.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I think a bit too much is being made over the new engines and tremendous negative effect on resale. For example, it seems every Porsche model I have purchased new had an engine change to the model of some sort within 2-3 years of my ownership, either in HP bump due to some revision of the current, or new engine with different displacement.

In a car make where the engine and handling are the first two discussion points, I experienced no more than typical straight line decreases in resale value and primarily based upon mileage, model year and condition.

These Mercedes we speak of, they are sedans.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts