Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
2009 E350 W211 Arctic White (dads car)
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I kinda like the W163s and am looking at ML500s or ML350s with 4Matic model years 2002 and up, I prefer the refreshed styling of the 2002s and up. I know their getting older now and I am wondering about anything important about these cars' reliability. Thanks, I know you awesome people at the forums can help me.:)

·
Premium Member
05 500
6,512 Posts
I kinda like the W163s and am looking at ML500s or ML350s with 4Matic model years 2002 and up, I prefer the refreshed styling of the 2002s and up. I know their getting older now and I am wondering about anything important about these cars' reliability. Thanks, I know you awesome people at the forums can help me.:)
To start with, you should update your name to iwantaw203orw204imnotsurebutIamlikingtheW163better. Now, that the name thing is taken care of, I have to say that they are actually more reliable in old age, since most of them have had the kinks worked out. Get a 2004 or 2005 if you can find one - that way you really would be more concerned about typical used car issues. I would avoid a 2002 - I had one and it had issues. I've had a 2005 forever now and the truck has really been good since most of the kinks were taken care of during its warranty years. Good luck.

105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To start with, you should update your name to iwantaw203orw204imnotsurebutIamlikingtheW163better. Now, that the name thing is taken care of, I have to say that they are actually more reliable in old age, since most of them have had the kinks worked out. Get a 2004 or 2005 if you can find one - that way you really would be more concerned about typical used car issues. I would avoid a 2002 - I had one and it had issues. I've had a 2005 forever now and the truck has really been good since most of the kinks were taken care of during its warranty years. Good luck.
Thanks for the info, I don't think they'll allow a name that long. LOL

105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also I've been looking at some really clean 2004, 2005s, I think those look even better, maybe i'll post a pic of one.

105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
W163inwhite-1.jpg

W163inwhite-2.jpg

W163inwhite-3.jpg

W163inwhite-4.jpg

W163inwhite-5.jpg

·
Registered
1984 380SL
26 Posts
We have found that ours is a joy to drive when it is working properly but compared to other vehicles it is a bit needy. Thus far we've done the rear wheel bearings, driveline center bearing, rear brake pads, water pump and fan clutch, spark plugs, the cost of parts isn't horrible but if I wasn't handy with a wrench this beast would have been really expensive. The fuel economy is nothing to brag about. But, when you need the traction and control in the winter nothing I have driven works better and you can drive it all day and not be fatigued. If a person doesn't need the AWD capability I don't think they would find the ML's all that worthwhile.

105 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We have found that ours is a joy to drive when it is working properly but compared to other vehicles it is a bit needy. Thus far we've done the rear wheel bearings, driveline center bearing, rear brake pads, water pump and fan clutch, spark plugs, the cost of parts isn't horrible but if I wasn't handy with a wrench this beast would have been really expensive. The fuel economy is nothing to brag about. But, when you need the traction and control in the winter nothing I have driven works better and you can drive it all day and not be fatigued. If a person doesn't need the AWD capability I don't think they would find the ML's all that worthwhile.
Although, I kinda want to do some repairs on my own car, so i'd be ok with most of that, as long as there isn't any major major reliability problems, they don't rust, do they?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts