Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I just purchased a 1998 SL500 a month ago. all was well until I pulled into a parking curb and damaged the front guard that attaches to the front side ground effects of the car. Looks like stiff cardboard and there is on riveted to the passenger side as well. I pulled the rivet out which separated the guard from the ground effects causing an awful noise underneath. I kind of tore it to pieces but 75% of it can be remounted but with a new hole drilled and a nut and bolt used to attach it back. It will probably cover 85% of what is under the front driver side of the card. The question is, do I need to run out and buy a new complete piece. Its $50 bucks U.S. Or will fixing the damaged piece be all right? Thanks for the answers

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
I would just get a new piece and bolt it right back on the way it was before.

·
Registered
222 Posts
If you are talking about the "cardboard" piece that covers the area under the engine, I've been told by dealer mechanics ("technicians") that this item is very important for proper routing of air to cool the engine. That's the reason the MBz engineers put it there.

As expensive as these engines are ($25k+), you want to be sure they are cooled properly and don't get damaged by overheating.
Herb

·
Administrator
8,714 Posts
On my 1993 SL500 the "bashplate" is made of ABS plastic not cardboard.

Did MB change this item when Chrysler bought into Mercedes and started to build down to a price??

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you are talking about the "cardboard" piece that covers the area under the engine, I've been told by dealer mechanics ("technicians") that this item is very important for proper routing of air to cool the engine. That's the reason the MBz engineers put it there.

As expensive as these engines are ($25k+), you want to be sure they are cooled properly and don't get damaged by overheating.
Herb
You are the man with the common $cents Thanks for the advice

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
On my 1993 SL500 the "bashplate" is made of ABS plastic not cardboard.

Did MB change this item when Chrysler bought into Mercedes and started to build down to a price??
i kind of understated the material, it is ABS, I think 1998 was the last year before Chrysler merged
anyway I am going to just replace it with a new one. will have to be more careful

Thanks for the feedbad too

1 - 11 of 11 Posts