Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Thank you for the input but for me, it all went over my head, except the part about using Mac OSX!
I'm just ok with diving into the Mac but all this "key" talk with a Windows generated application, is where you'll loose me...?
I'm sorry, I remodel homes, I can take an engine apart or anything mechanical but this side of the fence, she doesn't look as green and comfortable to me, in fact, it scares me!!!

I would need some serious hand holding...................?

Thank you

D

·
Premium Member
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
... the KL15, Ignition voltage = 00.3
Perhaps it is ok to read so low.
David,
It took all day but I have got my MUX going again.
I resoldered all the connector joints inside the box.
I also thoroughly cleaned both printed circuit boards with electronic cleaner and an old tooth brush. They were covered in solder splats from the original manufacture.
Don't know what the problem was but it now reliably connects and very quickly, every time I run Xentry.

I ran a Caesar test on my STAR and the "D2 Power Ignition" value was "Voltage KL15 = 11.8 V". The D2 Power Battery" value was "Voltage KL30 = 12.2 V". This was a bit low but because I was just testing the connection I didn't connect up the battery charger to the car. (This is normally a MUST DO.)

Caesar Test Showing Good Power Ignition Value.jpg

You may have a faulty ignition wire to the OBDII connector under the dash or in the cable between the OBDII connector and the MUX.

Brian

·
Registered
130 Posts
All day WOW, thank you so much for doing this!
I see your KL15 voltage results are 11.8V
I really hope it's in the MUX cord.
Like you did in the past, I took much of the dash apart, looking at all connections, testing CAN H and CAN L, so on and so on.
All of the power pins in Diag. socket tested ok as well.

This is a huge help, at least I now know where to to look.

Thank you again Brian.
More soon.

David

·
Premium Member
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Details of M-B Connector X11/4 (OBDII)

I think the first thing I would do would be to check that you have approx. +12V DC on the car's OBDII connector XL/4 at pin 8 ("Battery Power To Fuse f84/5A in Dashboard/Cockpit Fuse Box") and pin 16 ("Battery Power To Fuse f81/10A in Dashboard/Cockpit Fuse Box.").

I have uploaded the pin diagram for the M-B OBDII connector and a description of all the STAR SDS connectors here.
http://w220.ee/STAR_Diagnosis_System_(SDS)_or_Diagnosis_Assistance_System_(DAS)#Pin_Out_Legend_for_16_Pin_Diagnostic_Connector_-_STAR_C3

·
Registered
130 Posts
I think the first thing I would do would be to check that you have approx. +12V DC on the car's OBDII connector XL/4 at pin 8 ("Battery Power To Fuse f84/5A in Dashboard/Cockpit Fuse Box") and pin 16 ("Battery Power To Fuse f81/10A in Dashboard/Cockpit Fuse Box.").

I have uploaded the pin diagram for the M-B OBDII connector and a description of all the STAR SDS connectors here.
http://w220.ee/STAR_Diagnosis_System_(SDS)_or_Diagnosis_Assistance_System_(DAS)#Pin_Out_Legend_for_16_Pin_Diagnostic_Connector_-_STAR_C3
Thank's Brian for the link, very helpful.
I'm on it today. This will help me determine if it's the car or the MUX.
I've been online searching for.....Caesar Test Results and Ignition Voltage, KL15 = 00.3V
Seems many have seen this happen. Some simply cleaned all connectors between the laptop and X11/4 car connector with success, some doing addons and others have replaced the CAN H and CAN L chips, used in the MUX, with success.
I'm hoping for something simpler.

More soon
David

·
Registered
130 Posts
Hi Brian
I got 11.99V from Pin 8, with ignition on.
12.19 from pin 16
12.46 from battery terminals under the hood.

I plan to test Pin 1, EIS/EZE and Pin 6, CAN H, central gateway, just to make sure.

It's looking like the MUX though?

Thanks again

·
Registered
130 Posts
Hi Brian
I've meant to mention earlier, that I use an Iota 55 to maintain my battery when trying to use DAS. Today I jacked up the battery voltage to 14.2V, just to see if the Mux would hold connection as DAS is launched, it does not...Stays connected in Xentry (during vehicle selection) but the minute DAS is started, it drops.

The time, the money........ I'm grateful the truck runs well and I haven't needed SDS!
The only reason I bought into this idea, was to remove the two malfunctions (SOS and TELE-AID), from the Instrument cluster.
My indie couldn't easily do it, as the connection to Tele-aid was implausible.
So,,, I thought I could learn a few thing from this system by buying one... I'm learning a lot, I'm over my head!!

David

·
Registered
341 Posts
Thank you for this! I just picked up a c4 system and it should be here in a week or two from Canada. I have zero knowledge prior to reading all this so this is definitely a great start! Much appreciated for you taking the time building the documents!

Thanks,
-Nigel

·
Premium Member
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
You're welcome.
Now if only I could get my newly installed Distronic working but that is off topic for this post.
Will do some more research before asking for help from the Forum.
Brian

·
W220 Moderator
5,531 Posts
Hi Brian, @ricebubbles ,

There is definitely a very good how to article, may be in the Encyclopaedia, I remember reading it, a guy did the retrofit and had to do a lot of Version Coding work even in modules you wouldn't even think would have anything to do with Distronic before it actually worked :wink

HTH,

Cheers Dave

·
Premium Member
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Thanks for that Dave,

I have already spent weeks installing and configuring using my STAR SDS and have uploaded all my knowledge to here; https://w220.ee/WIS_30.30_Cruise_Control_(CC),_Distronic_(DTR)#Retrofit_Method_.E2.80.93_Distronic

It looks like I was mislead by the Internet. My car is a 2003 Update W220 S500L produced in October 2003 which was well before the published 1 June 2004 cutoff date for needing SCN coding.

However when I get to adapting the N3/10 Engine management control ME-SFI(ME) control unit I get messages stating I need SCN codes.

I have asked my local Indy and they are prepared to help but I have been too sick to go down this path just yet and have coded everything back to "normal".

David Prokity's excellent retrofit video and article recommends;
  • Replace the main factory software with new. The programming that brings the car to life was basically reinstalled with Distronic added.
  • Have the code number (219) added to the data card, which is the build card ie the factory record of the items installed like Parktronics, TPMS, Voice Command, NAV etc.
  • Have SCN code added to the Engine Management System.
Regards,
Brian

·
W220 Moderator
5,531 Posts
Hi Brian,

Yes that was the article to which I was referring, and yes it was the SCN code in ME that seems to be the bug bear, it has to be done at the time of downloading the latest Software to the ME, so regular clone SDS cannot do this ....................

Main Dealer or good (MB registered with Online subscription) Indie needed :wink

It can be done on a Windows 7 64 bit Clone SDS with custom s/w like the one I have, by getting a third party subscribing contact to do it via Team Viewer.

If you have a C4 Mux then getting an HDD with this particular s/w may be the cheapest option, especially for anyone who has (or is planning on getting) later model MB Cars, as you then have the capability to do SCN Coding via the 3rd party on a PAYG basis :wink

I bought C4 and built a 2.4 Ghz / 8gb RAM Dell D830, especially for this particular HDD, it is a very powerful bit of kit that is well worth a small Indie like me having :grin
@Paul600600 knows much more about this than I do and may be able to help someone who wanted to go that route ;)

HTH, Cheers Dave

41 - 53 of 53 Posts
About this Discussion
52 Replies
25 Participants
Dave2302
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing