Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
but if you buy from fleabay, you can use your credit card and pay through paypal. If there's a problem, you can open up a case on ebay, dispute it through paypal and or dispute it through your credit card company

QUESTION - I see at least two different looking Star scanners. Which one do you guys have? The blue one or gray one?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
@all

Those who have a reliable solution - what and where did you purchased C3? PM is also desired.
Eva Lee/Sales Manager
Advanced E-Auto Tech Co., Ltd
(Professional Auto Diagnostic Tools Supplier)
ADD: MinKang RD, MinZhi St., Bao'an District,
Shenzhen City, 518000 P.R.China
Tel: +0086-755-2300 7730
Mobile: +0086-13632803142
E-mail: [email protected]
[email protected]
MSN: [email protected]
Yahoo/Skype: ellen_808

·
Registered
9 Posts
Missing (*.vmx ) file

Recently I've purchased C3 SDS system from Nanjing Vida OBD2.com. Hardware and software on the hard-drive arrived quickly, but upon further inspection supplied drive (configured for Dell D630) is missing VMware player and vm configuration (*.vmx) file. I have dedicated Dell D830 with a separate host XP operating system all configured in 5 separate partitions ready to go.

Sent an e-mail to Nanjing hopping if missing (*.vmx ) file can be e-mailed or rebuilt. Any recommendations???

VMplayer is downloadable.
There was no VMware folder on the DAS labeled drive.

//RF

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
When I bought my C3 system about a year ago, I elected to go with a dedicated IBM T30. It is old and slow, but has worked flawlessly. I am occasionally tempted to try to move the system to a faster Dell laptop, but then start thinking of the probable difficulties in getting it to be as reliable as the old T30, and decide again that slow and steady is good enough...

·
W220 Moderator
1,129 Posts
Recently I've purchased C3 SDS system from Nanjing Vida OBD2.com. Hardware and software on the hard-drive arrived quickly, but upon further inspection supplied drive (configured for Dell D630) is missing VMware player and vm configuration (*.vmx) file. I have dedicated Dell D830 with a separate host XP operating system all configured in 5 separate partitions ready to go.

Sent an e-mail to Nanjing hopping if missing (*.vmx ) file can be e-mailed or rebuilt. Any recommendations???

VMplayer is downloadable.
There was no VMware folder on the DAS labeled drive.

//RF

If the hard drive is specifically for a Dell 630, it MAY not be set up for a VM environment. It MAY be set up to run XP native mode. Try this, put the STAR HD in the Dell laptop ( in the internal HD bay not a USB cable ) and boot up, see what pops up. This should be a harmless test and have no effect on the HD. An overly paranoid person might clone the STAR HD first just in case though. A prudent person would clone the STAR HD anyway.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If the hard drive is specifically for a Dell 630, it MAY not be set up for a VM environment. It MAY be set up to run XP native mode. Try this, put the STAR HD in the Dell laptop ( in the internal HD bay not a USB cable ) and boot up, see what pops up. This should be a harmless test and have no effect on the HD. An overly paranoid person might clone the STAR HD first just in case though. A prudent person would clone the STAR HD anyway.
Thank you!

Yes, I am in the process of cloning originally supplied HD. Not paranoia, but prudent nevertheless. I have several HD's for this experiment since I went to SSD on my lap tops. It would appear that D630/830 use the same chip set, the delta between the two being screen size (14.1 vs. 15.4). Hopefully XP will be boot up and that would be it. I am shutting off WiFi to keep system isolated from the rest of the world.

Dell Latitude D630, D830 and Latitude D531 Announced

//RF

·
Registered
9 Posts
Update from the western front!

Supplied imaged system boots up fine and loads without any issues. So this problem has been traversed. Nest step is to get Xentry and startup keys generated. Apparently, running virtual system is no longer required, but key are!

//

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks for all of the helpful information especially to the original poster and the great PDF attachments. Will be very helpful to us who own at least one older mercedes vehicle and need to do our own service...

·
Registered
130 Posts
Is Ricebubbles still here?
I need his wisdom?
Need to know if a Panasonic tough-book with 7/2014 SD, C3, purchased from "Tough Computing" should sport the same settings?
I have a 2004 G55 that I can not connect with for some reason. I've tried setting changes in the port,date and read, no change.
Paid $1300 for a stand alone package (including everything) and after four months, twenty plus connect attempts, nada!
Anyone smarter than me, willing to do team viewer for money? "Payment only after a full connection is made", BTW..
I'm good at hands on mechanics, good at working in Mac computers but feel lost in Windows. Starting to figure it out but never sure if it's was done right.
Thanks gent's

·
Premium Member
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Hi 04amgG,
Yeah I am still here, getting a bit slower every day but still ticking.
Thanks for the compliment about wisdom but it's just from old age not knowledge.
My STAR setup stopped working 6 months ago when my laptop failed. I bought a "new" laptop identical to the old one for $25 and tried full time for 3 weeks to get the STAR going again. The main issue was that the hardware ID was different in the new laptop.
With help from Paul600600 and Pinkster I tried everything to get it working but in the end I gave up. I have now purchased a 14 DVD Disk set of Xentry 09/2015 from Canada via eBay for use with a Star C3 Multiplexer (MUX). It installed easily and works well. It installed directly to the laptop without a Virtual Operating System and is heaps faster to start. I have used it on my car several times. It is much later version to my old system and has Xentry, WIS and EPC which is all that I need. Plus if it ever gets corrupted I will just wipe everything and start again with a clean install.

However now my MUX has gone intermittent and I am currently trying to sort that out. I am using a serial port monitor to watch the signals going in and out of the MUX and laptop and every now and then the MUX stops sending data.

A few suggestions re your issues.
  • You could try a serial port monitor to see if you have data to and from the MUX. Search for Free Serial Port Monitor and install on the laptop. I don't know what all the hex symbols mean but at least you can see the laptop reading and writing data to the port (MUX).
  • BTW the serial port that the MUX is connected to must be COM2 for some reason.
  • The most common and successfully used laptops are Dell D630 which have a physical RS232 Serial Port for attaching to early C3 Multiplexers (MUX). However for these C3 MUX’s, later model laptops can also be used. For example the Dell D820, which doesn’t have a RS232 connector but has a PCMCIA card slot, is suitable, but requires the purchase of a separate PCMCIA RS232 Card Bus Adapter.
  • For the C3 MUX’s the laptop operating system should be Windows XP, either Home version or Professional version with MS Windows Service Pack 3 installed.
  • I found that I have to use 9600 baud rate with my PCMCIA Serial RS232 Adapter card for some reason. It may be due to my MUX but it wouldn't work at the default setting of 115000.
  • With my original STAR setup I used to have to keep setting the date to January 2012 but with my latest acquisition I no longer need to do that. I haven't been game to connect the laptop to the Internet but the supplier says that is is OK with only a slight modification to a file 'lic_key_2.dat'.
  • It may be my MUX again but I found that I had to start the new STAR with the ignition turned on (engine off). The old system would prompt me to switch the ignition on but the new system seems to need it on from the start.
  • You must have the car on a charger when using STAR as the voltage needs to be above 12.4V.
Best of luck and keep us informed how you go.
Regards,
Brian

·
Registered
130 Posts
Thank you for the reply Brian
My computer, Panasonic CF29, has a built in RS232 connector, operating system is Windows XP, Professional version with MS Windows Service Pack 3 installed.
I do remember you mentioning the serial port monitor but have been hesitant to connect to the internet, only for Team Viewer.
I'm game to do so and if I did download serial port monitor, is install easy enough for a Windows dummy, like me?

The baud rate came set at 19200, I've set it to 9600 baud rate as you suggested. My COM was set to COM1, I've switched it in the past but for some reason (probably user error) it didn't take. It is now set to COM2.

The Time is set for September 2014 as the software date is 7/2014.

It was a while ago but I think I've read to set, 'lic_key_2.dat' to NOT READ, as I have no current need to connect to the internet.

I shall restart the computer and see what happens.

Thank you again, fingers crossed?

David

·
Registered
130 Posts
Ok
I've learned my MUX will not connect to the computer using COM2, (no green cord illumination), had to go back to COM1.

I then had a connection made performed Cesar Self diagnostic, here's my results. In the last photo, the "Power Ignition" Voltage KL15 shows 00.3 volt, is this normal?

The mux remains connected, as I select the vehicle or enter VIN, then select quick test, (usual warning windows in between) and then I'm prompted to select diagnostic socket, 16 pin, 32 pin or 4 pin. I select 16 pin and then the mux drops out of connection with the computer (or should I say, the green cord connection disappears).

This happens all the time and in the past, despite the seemly lost connection via green light, relays can be heard throughout the truck as if it's connected. I would then get engine codes only,,,, but always the same codes.

So frustrating

Thanks again for reading

·
Premium Member
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
It looks like from your photos that it is connecting to the car via COM1.

The D2 Power Ignition looks suspect and as soon as I can get mine working I will connect to my car and see what it shows.

In the meantime someone else maybe able to run a Caesar Test or check a previous record to see what a typical value for D2 Power Ignition is. I lost all of my Caesar Test Result files when my laptop failed.

The Free Serial Port Monitor is very easy to install and use. It allows you to intercept, to display and to analyze all the data exchanged between your applications Windows and your serial device. This software can be used for the development of applications. For that, Free Serial Port Monitor offers you a powerful platform for coding, test and optimization. It is compatible with Windows 2000/XP. The tool is completely free. Just download Free Serial Port Monitor exe file from here onto a USB stick. Plug USB stick into the laptop and run the exe file.
Free Serial Port Monitor (free) - Download Latest version in english on CCM
  • Read data is information sent to the laptop from the MUX ie read by the laptop.
  • Write data is information sent to the MUX by the laptop ie commands written from the laptop.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Thank you sir
COM1 has to be used for some reason, works in Xentry but connection drops once DAS is asked to perform a test.
I shall see if I can drum up MUX test results/photo's online, to see how they compare to mine.
I shall download serial port monitor, sounds easy to install.

·
Premium Member
836 Posts
FWIW,

I got a HD that was pre set up for a secific Toughbook laptop, along with MUX cabels, etc.

I then bought the laptop here in US.

Very first thing I did was use Mac OSX via WinClone to create a copy of the Hard drive. I literally never even booted from the one I bought. It is still safe and secure in an antistatic bag. If the copied drive ever gives me issues I'll make another copy.

Point being, I strongly suggest doing this for future purchasers. I no longer recall all the steps to get it going, there were several "keys" that had to be genrated using software to enable it on the ;aptop I got, but once up and running it was fine. Just clunky, Germans have layered, tedious interfaces that are tough to navigate.

But i was able to get a Comand up and running by telling it I had Logic 7 system and reset the bus.

I also removed top speed limit.

But by all means, copy (image) the drive before you boot.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts