Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2008 PT, 1998 neon--1965 VW 1200
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have started using the 240 as my everyday car and have questions about engine temperature.

***my gauge is standard NOT centigrade***

i guess i can look up the conversion (i know 0 is freezing, 100 is boiling, but i dont know their farenheit counterparts 32 is freezing?)

when traveling at high speed(80-82) the gauge reads about a needles width above the topmost line(im guessing 200 degrees f)

at 70 to about 45 it is at the halfway mark and anything below that it is bit above the first really short mark on the gauge.

i read in the manual that you can reach red in normal operating conditions(it hasnt yet, but it isnt fully summer yet, either) as long as you let the engine return to a normal temperature before you turn it off.

are these temperatures correct?

·
Registered
500 Posts
The formula for conversion is C=(5/9)x(F-32) or F=[(9/5)xC]+32 where C is degrees Celsius and F is degree Fahrenheit. 0C is 32F (freezing) and 100C is 212F (boiling).

I would say your engine should run about 180 to 200 degrees F under normal driving (60 mph) and could go up to 210 or more at prolonged high speeds. The closer you get to the top end speed, the hotter the engine will run. And it can vary depending on the outside temperature and temperature rating of the thermostat, which should be around 180F. But it should never get below 180F as regulated by the thermostat.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts