Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
G58K, E55TK
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at products offered for Jeeps but am not sure whether I'll be able to make it work for the G

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/NTELargeImageView?rfno=247633&storeId=6970

http://www.truckcustomizers.com/products/R4GAR485.1B.html

·
Registered
G58K, E55TK
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
possibly work something out with one of these...

from ORC.

Use the spare tire holder (remove the cover obviously) and modify a ski/back rack already made for the G to accept a few gas cans...

what do you guys think?

Attachments

·
Registered
230 G BGS 300G TDI
965 Posts
If you look at the side and rear panels of this BGS G Wagen, you will see small knobs, these are attachment points for anti riot or blast shields, they are similar to a rivnut and are a MB part for the G Wagen they can be used for attaching frames or for carrying external stores too.

Attachments

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 300 GD Wolf, LR Range Rover HSE TD6
54 Posts
Adding an extra 25 kg to the rear spare wheel mounts might be excessive (I'm not sure how these are attached on the 463 cab).

MB produce a jerry can holder for the 461, which bolts to the left-hand-rear between the left corner and the tailgate (image attached). However, the tailgate is narrower and the rear opening asymmetric on the 461, providing more space in this area.

Kaymar (www.kaymar.com.au) manufacture a hinged version (see below).

Attachments

·
Registered
G58K, E55TK
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wolf - 5/16/2005 12:25 AM

Adding an extra 25 kg to the rear spare wheel mounts might be excessive (I'm not sure how these are attached on the 463 cab).
Definitely a concern, but I think it can be worked with...(see more detailed pics of spare tire latch on my truck)

MB produce a jerry can holder for the 461, which bolts to the left-hand-rear between the left corner and the tailgate (image attached). However, the tailgate is narrower and the rear opening asymmetric on the 461, providing more space in this area.
Any ideas about a part number?

Kaymar (www.kaymar.com.au) manufacture a hinged version (see below).
Couldn't find any MB products on their website...

Thanks a lot for the thoughts/help so far guys!

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
I've got a Kaymar rear accessory carrier on my Landcruiser. The post that it pivots from can be mounted on either the left- or right-hand sides and the carrier swings out away from the rear tailgate. Although they're not custon manufactured for MB, the same basic design is used on 'Cruisers, Patrols and Jeeps, so it shouldn't require an engineering degree to bolt one onto a G.

·
Registered
54 Posts
The one on the panzerbaer website looks very similar in design to the 461 rear jerry can holder. Not much good on the roof of a cabriolet though!

Attachments

·
Registered
G 500
1,079 Posts
silversurfer1 - 5/17/2005 7:01 AM

I'm looking at products offered for Jeeps but am not sure whether I'll be able to make it work for the G
I knew, that you are the first, who needs it [:D][:D][:D]

Well, seriously, there is an external Gas Can available for the G Wagen, which fits INTO the spare wheel ( yes, it is round with a hole in the middle ). I think, it is a original MB accessoir.

·
Registered
G58K, E55TK
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
TH - 5/17/2005 5:42 AM

Very funny Mr. Comedian[:I]

I'm actually considering taking my G on the Players Run (www.playersrun.com) and the extra gas would help stretch out my legs in between stops.

I'm also looking for any more input as to how to prepare the G for a high speed (2500-3000) mile road trip. Am going to change brake pads, check all fluids and belts, what else?

·
Registered
1980 LWB 280GE
3,504 Posts
Prep for endurance run

Make sure the airway through the radiator is clear (especially between AC condenser and rad). Do so by shining a flashlight through and looking for areas light doesn't get through.

Fit new air cleaner and fuel filter(s).

High quality synthetic fluids in diffs and transfer case.

Lube prop shafts

Change transmission fluid

Change engine oil and filter

Set valve clearances if applicable

Verify compression

Replace and/or re-gap spark plugs

Lube accelerator linkage

Verify matched and proper injector flow

Verify tire pressures, tire condition, and front end alignment.

Most of these are things designed to be sure the engine is running as smoothly as possible. Long distance high speed running (I used to lead an IMSA endurance racing pit crew) has a sneaky combination of things going on. Vibrations are of a kind that are most damaging to components, but least perceptible by the driver.

Do what you can to be sure the engine is running as smoothly as possible, and is getting the cleanest possible air, fuel, and lubrication. Also do what you can to reduce heat buildup, and be robust to what IS experienced, in the drive train (t-case, diffs, and prop shafts).

All of the above being said, chances are that a well-maintained G will eat up whatever you're going to throw at it without doing any of these things. But ALL of teh above things will be beneficial to any G, done at any time. So if you can knock off even a few, the truck will be the better for it.

Good luck!

-Dave G.

·
Registered
00 g500
2,289 Posts
Prep for endurance run

One thing i'd recommend not on hipines list... especially since he made the point that vibrations can do damage fast... replace your steering damper so you have a fresh one in there.... (or at the very least carry a new spare). I don't know how many miles on your trucks damper, but especially since your running 20" rims i'd want a spare on hand at the least.

Alignment. Yes.

ALso, a "ride match" (it's more than a balance... it measures the tire and rim instruct the tech on if and how the tire needs to be rotate (clocked) on the rim to make sure it rolls the roundest. It basically mathes the little high spots on the tire to any little low spots on the rim (which they most all have).

·
Registered
G 500
1,079 Posts
silversurfer1 - 5/17/2005 5:55 PM

TH - 5/17/2005 5:42 AM

Very funny Mr. Comedian[:I]

I'm actually considering taking my G on the Players Run (www.playersrun.com) and the extra gas would help stretch out my legs in between stops.

I'm also looking for any more input as to how to prepare the G for a high speed (2500-3000) mile road trip. Am going to change brake pads, check all fluids and belts, what else?
Well, why are you so upset? You will loose any race, specially based on high speed, when long distance driving is neccessary, because the air resistance from the G Wagen is so bad ( > 0,50 ), it will need gas like mad. It is a race with ignoring the speed limit, or ? ( Like driving on Autobahns in Germany )
Always full power or ?

Anyway, when your Brabus is stable from the temperatures, then nothing special has to be done, brake pads, belt, right und that's it normally.
When you really want to reduce the stops at the gas station, the only way is:
Remove the rear seats and look for someone who can make you an external fuel reservoir, 200 or 300 liters. Above that you need something to fix your bags with clothes and so on. An external frame or fixing points.
This fuel tank can be fixed into the original holes from the safety belt and the rear seats.
( I have such a tank + frame in my garage .[:D] )
Well tires, I don't know what you have and in what condition they are, but they will get warm, when you have doubts, go for Yokohama 801 AVS ( those from the G55 Kompressor ).

Shoot some pics, please.

·
Registered
G58K, E55TK
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
TH - 5/17/2005 9:49 AM

Well, why are you so upset? You will loose any race, specially based on high speed, when long distance driving is neccessary, because the air resistance from the G Wagen is so bad ( > 0,50 ), it will need gas like mad. It is a race with ignoring the speed limit, or ? ( Like driving on Autobahns in Germany )
Always full power or ?
I'm not upset...I know that the G isn't the proper vehicle for a speed rally. The promoter specifically wanted this car so I'm trying to figure out if I should oblige him. Supposedly, he's going to do his best to keep the group together, so that even if there are people driving ridiculously fast, the checkpoints will slow them down.

Since the rally goes down the west coast from Seattle (my backyard) I figured the Cab would make an ideal cruising vehicle...but I agree with you..it's going to get noisy and unstable over 120mph.
[;)]

Thanks for the tips/checklists...For the spare Jerry can, I've got a call into ORC and Europa to see if MB did indeed make a factory accessory.

·
Registered
G 500
1,079 Posts
Some weeks ago I drove a G500 Convertible. It had a kind of net with it. It is fixed behind the front seats at the roof ( when car is open ) and the rear seats and it reduced the air coming through dramatically. When you have that, fine, when not, maybe something to think about.

·
Registered
300GE Cab, 6.9
556 Posts
First off, a Wedco NATO style can is much sturdier than the Blitz. The Blitz has a seam all the way around the bottom that tends to rust out and then leak. I have carried the Nato style in the passenger compartment many a time with no problem and without a whiff of gas vapor.

The Wedco NATO style:

The Blitz:

I've thought about fabricating something along these lines

which I saw here:
http://www.telusplanet.net/public/gary2a/rack/ladder.htm

— Spalding

1 - 20 of 30 Posts