Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
82 300D, ISU Formula
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive noticed after 300K miles that the steering is getting really sloppy. Probaly about 2 inches of play in the steering on either side. I was wondering if any of you guys have ever changed the powersteering gear. I read about the process in the Haynes manual, seems pretty simple, but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
84 230CE & 84 300DT
324 Posts
It sounds like you really only need to make a preload adjustment to take the play out of y...

It sounds like you really only need to make a preload adjustment to take the play out of your steering. There are some posts on the subject. Try this adjustment before doing anything else.

·
Registered
Mercedes Diesels
145 Posts
If two people do the adjustment. One can move the wheel, while the other watches the input...

If two people do the adjustment. One can move the wheel, while the other watches the input vs the output of the box itself to isolate wear in the box itself. Sometimes play will be in the rest of the steering. Be careful of tightening it too much of box will rapidly wear out.
John Gregg

·
Registered
82 300D, ISU Formula
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, Never thought of that, The Haynes says nothing about it

But then again Haynes manuals are crap, I suppose you get what you pay for. Does Bentely publish a manual for the 300D, I own one for my Audi 4000. Anyways, where is that adjustment bolt located? This is just for future reference, because the car is at the mechanic's, getting another engine.

·
Registered
84 230CE & 84 300DT
324 Posts
The adjustment is a hex bolt with a large lock nut (don't remeber the size)located on the ...

The adjustment is a hex bolt with a large lock nut (don't remeber the size)located on the top of the gear box.
You need to research this forum to properly make the adjustment. It's not very difficult. The hardest part may be just to break the nut & bolt free. You should be able to find the threads about it a few pages back. I think the last post was a couple of months ago.

·
Registered
2005 w203, 2013 Town & Country
2,180 Posts
My experience is this...to remove the steering box it is very simple, break free the steering links, diconnect the lower rag joint, and remove the three through frame bolts...helps to have two people - my engine was out so i am not sure about clearece there - and i am not putting the thing back on so i have no information there, what i can tell you is that the upper steering column is all that holds the whole column up...it is connected to the collapsable steering column by another rag joint and then the collapsable column comes out of the fire wall about two inches - protected by that rubber boot. - Jake

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.