Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I understand it, the 3,2 liter six cylinder is about the smallest engine option available in the US, and on this forum V8´s seem to be the most popular choice. Isn´t it frustrating to drive cars that run best at double your speedlimit?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Its very frustrating, especially for those of us who have experienced the autobahn! Sometimes, when the radar detector give me the all clear, I'll open it up for a little bit.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The typical highway speed in Texas is 75 to 80 mph. This is what most people drive on the interstates and highways. Some go slower. Some, like myself, drive 90 to 100mph where safe and permissable. 100mph is not too uncommon these days. <br> When racing with my friends the 163 speed limiter always gets a workout.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
90-100 is uncommon

DE, there's a brand new portion of Rt13 (or Rt.1) Every time I'm out there, count on 90-100. Traffic is light, cops rarely visit (at least while I've been there), and those annoying left lane bandits sometimes behave themselves. I've pushed 120 on alone; I at 90 max, when wife and kids are with me.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I drive 80Mph on the freeway. I barely touch the pedal and I hit 80. Usually people drive 75-80 in the bay area. However I hit 90-100 on occasion. The first time I hit 100 was with the air conditioner on full blast and up a hill. Just to test it out. =P no power loss, heheh I love my Mercedes<br> <br> If I was driving to Los Angeles on Highway 5, I'd be going 100 mph on average. Drove 115 for an hour and a half straight once, now that was fun!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There is a little piece of heaven in the north-central U.S.<br> <br> It's called the State of Montana.<br> <br> There, the night time speed limit is 75MPH, and the daytime limit is WHEEE!<br> <br> I mean it. If you are in your own lane, your tires aren't squealing, and you haven't hit anybody-- you're legal!<br> <br> The actual state speed law is copied from the old California statute (pre-national 55MPH limit): 'You may not drive faster than is safe.' ...and the above criteria are what is used by local law enforcement.<br> <br> I have recently crossed that entire state in less than five hours. It's over 550 miles (I once did it in under four hours in my old Porsche!).<br> <br> It's almost worth the winter weather to live there (think of Siberia without even the gulags to break the montony!).<br> <br> But in summer... sigh!

·
Registered
2004 Lexus LS 430 Modern Luxury. 2012 Acura TSX (fun fun) Maybe MB again one day...
2,604 Posts
Is there any other way to drive? LOL

Seriously it is a bummer to have to worry about a ticket. I have gotten it well up over 100 mph in the Arizona and Utah highways a couple of times. It still had plenty more too.[8D]

Seems like these cars are just getting warmed up at 80 mph.

·
Registered
Mercedes 1979 280ce
179 Posts
I got a $5 speeding ticket in the Big Sky Country of Montana I was clocked at 120 MPH by the state trooper, who mumbled the $5 was some sort of gratious gas guzzler taxation. [?]

·
Registered
1994 E420
188 Posts
haha if i was goin 120 and a cop caught me, id get my car taken away. I'v gone 120 before in the rural areas of NY while racing but t normall drive around 85

·
Registered
38 Posts
FYI - looks like the original post was in 2002.

That's why people should take their cars to the track more often. It is so much fun!!!

·
Registered
1999 ML 430
586 Posts
i will keep it going!

I visit LA once a year and I love their driving style, 85mph is average, don't signal when you find a gap and want to switch lanes because if you do the driver will close the gap so you can't come in

here in oregon its completly different, I'm a pretty fast driver and when i'm driving 75 i'm flying past people, speed limit on the freeways are 55-65 (never seen a 70 although it exists) and everyone drives that or a little more

fastest i've hit is 132, limiter is at 147 tires are rated at 130, terrible idea to go 132 :( never again

·
Registered
1989 Mercedes 420SEL
5 Posts
My wife received a ticket for going 146 m.p.h. in a 55 m.p.h. zone in Bishop, California while driving my creme-puff 79 Camero. It took the cop more than 12 miles to catch her, and only after she stopped in Bishop for gas.

I personally was stopped in 1998 for doing 123 m.p.h. in my BT7 AH roadster in Nevada, but the cop only really wanted to take a good look at the car and only "warned" me.

During the mid-to-late 1980's in my 911S, I normally made the 124 mile trip between Wendover, Nevada and Salt Lake City, Utah, between 2 AM and 3 AM, several times a month in less than an hour with hardly another car ever on the road.

Of course now, with the thick fog that sometimes comes up from Salt Lake in the winter months, and you can't see further than 20 to 30 feet, even truck drivers slow down to about 70 to 80 m.p.h.

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
115mph on I-15 east, exitting at Zzyzx with my W123 turbodiesel. But I'm not American...

On that trip I got 25mpg. If I slowed down I could have done better. Hey, it's a 21 year old car![:D]

·
Registered
1980 MB280ce
46 Posts
since my mercedes isnt "fixed yet".....all i can tell u is that...im going to drive very fast....my friend lets me drive his infiniti g35 coupe...and my other friend let me drive his brand new rx8....and then my OTHERE friend let me drive his audi a4 1.8t.....i hit more then 140 on each car.....thats why i jumped for my mercedes when i had the chance because i have no $$ haha..owell...ill get speedopics one day

·
Registered
CL500, E430, SLK, Subaru...
648 Posts
Am I the only person here to have been busted for speeding... on the Autobahn? Somewhere near Koblenz. they did me for 160Kph in a 130Kph zone, which is a bit tight of them, since all I was doing was sticking with the locals, and they busted the only foreigner in the line of cars...

I've had both the AMGs right round the speedo; there are very few places on the planet where you can do this and come back in one piece.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
LondonThing - 11/27/2004 11:29 PM

Am I the only person here to have been busted for speeding... on the Autobahn? Somewhere near Koblenz. they did me for 160Kph in a 130Kph zone, which is a bit tight of them, since all I was doing was sticking with the locals, and they busted the only foreigner in the line of cars...

I've had both the AMGs right round the speedo; there are very few places on the planet where you can do this and come back in one piece.
Sadly you are not alone, the germans have slightly tweaked the rules now. Now the speed limit is fixed in some places, rather than what it used to be (a safe speed for the car), but only in some areas and for short streches near entrances and exits to major cities.

(PS - I dont mind paying Ken Livingstones Central London congestion zone charges,.... as long as I get to insert my 5 1pound coins up his backside!!!)

·
Registered
83-300D
116 Posts
Here in New England it can be tricky trying to speed above 80. On I95 between New Haven and New York it can be tough to go above 80 because of cops and the traffic. Once you get up above New Haven say around exit 60ish traffic dies down and you can open it up. The best place to speed in CT is East of Hartford on I84. It's common to see cars pushing 100 up there. The only down side is there is one cop in an unmarked Camero around exit 70-72. The last exit in CT on 84 is exit 74. FYI.. I don't own a Radar detector but I am thinking about picking up one for my SLK... I don't have a speeding problem in my '83 benz. I have gone by many speed traps in my '83 going about 80 and they just let me go. Cops for some reason([:D]) must think this car is no danger at all..

1 - 20 of 62 Posts