Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I have a 1974 450 SE. Everything runs perfect and all, I'm just curious about something. When I floor it from a stop, my gear usually shifts at 4000rpm, if not before then. And if I'm entering the highway and have to put my foot down, it'll kick down from 3rd to 2nd and at 4000rpms it shifts back up again. This isn't really a bad thing, I just wanna make sure this is normal. I wanna say I've heard being low on ATF can mess with shift points and all so I'm just wondering were other 450 SE owners usually shift at. Thanks for any input!

-Tony

·
Registered
'77 6.9, 74 240D, 96 Ram 5.9L Cummins
2,654 Posts
That would sound about right. If you're flooring it 4000rpm would be entirely reasonable. It does have a rather widely spaced 3 speed and so it has to make use of that torque curve as the hp and torque start to drop off above 5k.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That would sound about right. If you're flooring it 4000rpm would be entirely reasonable. It does have a rather widely spaced 3 speed and so it has to make use of that torque curve as the hp and torque start to drop off above 5k.
Awesome man, thanks for the info. That's what I suspected, just wanted to make sure. The car seems to perform perfectly at that range so it seems I'm all good. Thanks again!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts