Here are the explanations:there still might be an explanation based on some laws of mechanics, chemistry or physics.
Actually guitar pickups, yours included, do act the same way. The difference is that you have the addition of an amplifier that prepares the signal to the level you want it at.as a guitar player I am used to my pickups also being magnets and coils and never ever do they fail.
I am not questioning the fact that they do fail, I know they do.
But the reasons have been vague.
What should the manufacturer for instance do to lessen the failure rate
I just wanna understand what happens electrically.
I can understand a bulb going coz the filament breaks, or sheathing rotting away, but with the CPS does the magnet weaken?
Do the coils inside break?
Has no one compared an old one with a new one?
I'd tend to imagine that 2 decades of heat and cold cycles tends to disagree with crappy wiring. It's lasted that long in harsh conditions, I would tend to think that the wiring is rather durable.Ok, I read you: The manufacturer originally put in crappy wiring that oxidizes away helped by heat. Mine actually failed showing only 3 ohms resistance, almost a short circuit.
as a guitar player I am used to my pickups also being magnets and coils and never ever do they fail.
1st thing I thought of when I read the guiter analogy, where's the heatIf you stuck your pickups to an engine, with extreme cycling heat, oil, water and vibration plus variable Voltage they might fail after 15 or twenty years....?
..and oil leaks.Old age, high mileage, heat, cold and other conditions ...
You didn't waste anybodies time or resources. The thing just got old and wore out and you just asked a question which was fair enough.My CPS shows 3 ohms and my car won't start, that is a REAL problem for me. Understanding how and where it is broken would give me a solution. Identifying which of the parts : sensor, wire or plug to change gives me a strategy. I apologize that you felt that answering this problem was a waste of your resources.