Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please comment on the look of the C-coupe, some say it looks cut off or stubby in the back, others say it looks like a european performance coupe, what do you say?

·
Registered
2006 C230 WZ
257 Posts
IMHO, it looks "kind-of-funny" (ugly) in my opinion. It looks like a dog that has just been kicked it the butt. Something is definetly missing.

·
Premium Member
Audi A4
276 Posts
I was watching SPEED channel the other day. It was either AutoWeek Television or Motor Trend Television.
And according to program, C 230 coupe is not really a coupe rather be a 3-door hatchback.

Anyhow, I think it is ugly (I agree with “hoopsmx�).
Most of them do not even equipped with leather & power seat. Only option I like about C 230 is panoramic glass roof.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have the coupe and I love the looks, but everyone has their opinion or else we'd all be driving the same car, right? Also I had the c240 sedan as a loaner, I liked it, but its so much harder for me to get in it than the coupe. Also it seemed that the coupe had more power with the supercharged engine. I was so used to pulling out in tracffic in my coupe and did it with the c240 and I almost got nailed but a truck. Being thin, tall, and no family, I prefer the coupe, but I do like the sedan. [:D]

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The c-coupe is breaking new ground for Mercedes, it is not your traditional looking MB so people respond differently when car designs change, some like it some don't.

As far as the comment "looks like a dog kicked in the butt" I will just say when you pull up next to a C320 coupe with your grampa looking small motor car you will quickly discover the view from not being the lead dog...plus you will better understand the true meaning of kicking a dog's butt.

·
Registered
2004.5 C230 SS
55 Posts
i used to think the coupe was hideous, but i've gotta admit, it's really grown on me and i'm actually quite fond of it now. guess it was just one of those acquired tastes for me.

·
Registered
05' C230k sedan
92 Posts
i've never been a fan of it. definitely looks strange but i've always thought of it as more of a teenage girls car. but i have to agree, to each his own.

·
Registered
68 Posts
[:(!] Ugly, I bet to differ. However, that's me. The coupe is an optionless, buttless, boring little 3 door hatch.

It is a 3-door hatch. I would expect some of you to know that the only real "coupe" in the line up is the new CLK. Re; No B pilar.

I have the '02. I really dislike the M271 equiped 2003+ motor. I also wish they had left us along in our little niche without the C230 Sedan. MJ, didn't know you were here... '03 C24 AMG???

Tom

My ugly buttless coupe hanging with the real benzes!

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
i must defend my car... but also admit that the '05s are definitely hotter.. the tailights and the interior make a big difference. i have orion blue with tints and the car just cruises by everyone, the thing that makes it awkward is that clear strip in the back and the way that lip goes... keep it clean, primarily the front wheels, and if the color is right - its sharp... give it a chance, it is a smaller car but to each their own!

·
Registered
357 Posts
The coupe's best angle is head-on. Looks great. The rear end from the side does look stubby. But, overall, it grows on you.

nukblazi: As defined by Car and Driver magazine, a coupe is a two door car with less than 33 cubic feet of rear space. The MBUSA site doesn't give this specific dimension. So I can't tell if either the Sport Coupe or CLK coupe is truly a coupe. However, MB did deliberately avoid using the term "hatchback" for this vehicle.

nasdakboy: The teenage girl comment isn't far off the mark. The original hope by MB management was that the C230 coupe would attract young female professionals. What actually happened was that folks from all age and gender groups were buying the coupe once they realized there was an affordable MB on the market.

·
Registered
01 ML430, 03 C320 Coupe MT, 14 GL450
952 Posts
nukblazi - 2/14/2005 10:27 PM

[:(!] Ugly, I bet to differ. However, that's me. The coupe is an optionless, buttless, boring little 3 door hatch.

It is a 3-door hatch. I would expect some of you to know that the only real "coupe" in the line up is the new CLK. Re; No B pilar.

I have the '02. I really dislike the M271 equiped 2003+ motor. I also wish they had left us along in our little niche without the C230 Sedan. MJ, didn't know you were here... '03 C24 AMG???

Tom

My ugly buttless coupe hanging with the real benzes!
So why did you buy one? Or did Daddy buy it for you? [}:)]

We love our "Coupe" - it is practical, sporty and way more fun than a sedan. The panorama roof is the icing on the cake!

Yes, the "Coupe" is a 3-door hatch, but "hatchback" is a dirty word in the USA, hence the "Coupe" name. A real coupe has nothing to do with no B-pillars - it is generally a 2 door, 4 seat car with a proper trunk. I.e. a "2 door sedan".

If I have to critique the shape of the Coupe, I think it looks a bit "heavy" in the rear. But I really do think the Coupe is a great looking and great driving car. It has tons of space in the rear seats (way, way more than the W209 CLK cabrio that we replaced it with), with the rear seats folded down it can do good duty even for a trip to Lowes, and if you have the windows down and pano roof open, it's not too far off from a convertible!

·
Registered
2004.5 C230 SS
55 Posts
everybody keeps defining the word "coupe" in different ways, i myself always just thought it was any 2 door car except for the hatchbacks, but how do you guys explain the CLS which is a 4 door coupe and has B pillars ? [:0]

·
Registered
68 Posts
I wrote a response to the teenage girl car comment and lost it when my broadband cut out for the evening. I am not going to re-write it, however;

Mark; Nice to see you. The marketing material I read stated younger professional, first time Mercedes Benz buyers. I have never seen nor heard that gender had been specifically targeted.

nasdakboy; I think the only car you have that is less girly than the coupe is the 69. Even the 330, in your neck of the woods is the daughters first car. The 325 is too inexpensive.

I had a experience with the NY Metro BMWCCA club. I pulled up in my coupe, and was greeted with sneering and jokes such as, "that not an autocross car", "I thought mostly mid-aged women drove those", "couldn't afford a real car", etc.

After my first run, many of the same jokers cam back asking what I did to my car "to get to handle so well", "out there that car is perfectly flat", "is that the V6", etc. To which I smiled and said "swaybars, sport springs, and stock motor. 169.1whp."

The guys with the Ground Control CO's and Dinan Stage 3s were scratching their heads. The last event I did w/COs and Race , I took second in my class to a prepped Silva, and we were chasing down a RX-7, with M3s in chase of us.

I love my chick car...[^]

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
There really is no need to defend the C-Coupe it is a newer European market driven design that some people will just not understand.

Hey Nuk Mercedes refers to it as a coupe so it is a coupe, pillar-less is a hardtop.

To the baby motor sedan guy who refers to the C-coupe as a teen age girl car, stop lite run one, or try to catch one on a canyon road, or to save yourself some grief... go drive a new C-320 coupe, either way... when your done you will clearly understand who really has the teen age girls car.

The C-coupe is new age European looking, great fun to drive, it handles like its on rails, the sun roof is unbelievably cool open or closed, + the C-320 hauls ass, for $35g's I think Mercedes hit it out of the ball park on this car!

·
Registered
68 Posts
E55pvan - 2/15/2005 12:08 PM

Hey Nuk Mercedes refers to it as a coupe so it is a coupe, pillar-less is a hardtop.
Agreed. I get caught up in sayings like real corvettes have trunks. I blame my father. Anyway, coupe it is. Typically though, having had a vast changing of the gaurds at the house growing up including a 69 Camaro SS conv., 69 Firebird, 69 Chevelle SS 396, etc., I tend to consider a b-pillarless hard top a true coupe... like the new CLK... :)

This is a great topic though. Always interesting to hear what others think of my pride and joy.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Daniel - 2/15/2005 11:24 AM

So why did you buy one? Or did Daddy buy it for you? [}:)]

We love our "Coupe" - it is practical, sporty and way more fun than a sedan. The panorama roof is the icing on the cake!

Yes, the "Coupe" is a 3-door hatch, but "hatchback" is a dirty word in the USA, hence the "Coupe" name. A real coupe has nothing to do with no B-pillars - it is generally a 2 door, 4 seat car with a proper trunk. I.e. a "2 door sedan".
Daddy? Are you kidding me... I know we live in a spoiled society but no, my parents didn't even buy my first car. My bicycle made do until I could buy the 10 year old 1985 Monte Carlo SS w/110,000 from my father for $3500. Anyway, no. Why did I buy one? I am business analyst by trade so I set my requirements. 2 doors, 4-5 seats, RWD a must, german and sporty... Hence, the C-Coupe. Previous car was the 2000 325xi that I lost in a divorce in 2002.

Did I say something bad about the coupes? And we always considered pilarless hardtops Coupes. B-pilars made the 2-door sedan. Daddy's a hotrodder. [}:)]

1 - 20 of 47 Posts