Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Mercedes E320(V6) Base
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not too long ago, I got my window smashed and my car broken into. Only sunglasses were stolen but thief left me my ODB2 scanner on the seat for some reason. But then I went ahead and checked something in the car to try and understand how/when the alarm goes off. I don't know if the system is not working properly in my car of if it is so I will list the steps:
1) Lower a window(To do the same thing that a thief would do after smashing the window which is to pull the door lock knob up).
2)With all the doors close, use the lock button on the key to lock all the doors.
3)Use the lowered window(from the exterior), pull the knob up and open the door.
4)After step 3, I was expecting the alarm to go off because the car was not unlocked by the key but no alarm! It's my understanding that the system does not know when a window is smashed but I was counting on it to rely on the door knobs to set the alarm and not unlock all the other doors since no key was used.

After step 4, all the knobs went up and the scariest thing is that the gas tank and trunk also unlocked. My biggest fear is having a thief go in the trunk since this is where I keep all my tools which I've collected over some time now. So, how and when does/should the alarm go off?

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
7,406 Posts
Alarm should go off after step 4. Most likely reason for failure is bad door contact switch.

How do your interior lights behave? On/Off with any of the doors?

If you keep valuables in the trunk lock it with the key blade.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alarm should go off after step 4. Most likely reason for failure is bad door contact switch.

How do your interior lights behave? On/Off with any of the doors?

If you keep valuables in the trunk lock it with the key blade.
So I went and checked to see if the interior lights come on when I open each door, they all work fine. I used to be able to lock the trunk with the key blade but today I went to lock it with it since I have not done that in a while, the key does not turn for some reason so I'll have to check if there's an issue with it. Thank you for bringing that up.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here is how you should test it (note the 15 seconds delay).
STAR TekInfo
The 15 seconds delay was one of the reasons the alarm did not go off. The alarm works, it's just that the lights come on without the horn for whatever reason so since I was looking for the horn sound, I never realized that the horn is silent when the alarm goes off. I even tried to push the panic button and again, lights flash but no horn. So I'll need to look into that.

·
Premium Member
1998 E320 base sedan @ 160kmiles
6,368 Posts
You probably have a problem with the alarm horn. Maybe it has a blown fuse. Fuse 11 under the rear seat (7.5 amps).

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
You probably have a problem with the alarm horn. Maybe it has a blown fuse. Fuse 11 under the rear seat (7.5 amps).
That fuse is fine and to make sure, I even swapped it with another fuse but still no alarm sound. I am thinking about using a battery booster to check the horns and make sure that they are working fine.

·
Premium Member
6,368 Posts
The horn for the alarm is separate. It is at the rear of the right headlight (H3).

·
Registered
1 Posts
I hope your alarm works perfectly. I always recommend to my friends who asks for the same advice to buy bollards of good quality. They work, people. The ones from firstchoicebollards.com.au in particular are amazing.

·
W210 Moderator
99 E320
5,089 Posts
my alarm does not function. when the anti-theft system triggers, i only
get the flashing light. fuse 11 is verified intact. so the culprit may be the
siren behind the wheel liner. i've tried swapping out to no avail. the
used replacement may be bad, also, so no conclusions at this point

·
Premium Member
6,368 Posts
AS of 6/98 production date, the siren has its own battery. Maybe the battery for the used one is bad, or needs charging for a while ?

Make sure you have 12V at the connector pins 1 and 2, at the horn end of the horn wiring.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts