Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1994 S320 SWB
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sorry for the dumb question, I just want to know the proper procedure so that I don't electricute myself. I know it's in the trunk under the floor mat.

·
Registered
'14 E350, '07 CLK350, '01 SLK320
1,148 Posts
It's pretty easy actually. Disconnect the negative side first. That would be the black wire. :)

When re-installing, connect the negative side last.

·
Premium Member
SL55, 300SE, GL450, Daytona 955i
10,293 Posts
keep in mind EVERYTHING in the car is 12 volts low voltage, operating below the dangerous point (nominal 35V)

the only 2 exceptions that contain high voltage that could be harmful are:
-Ignition system 20000 to 40000V
-Xenon headlights 10000-18000V

·
Registered
1994 S320 SWB
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
alright sounds good. the manual said something about keeping the key in steering lock position one? I'm just going to leave the key out of the ignition all together.

thanks again guys

·
Registered
Looking for V8 W140
96 Posts
alright sounds good. the manual said something about keeping the key in steering lock position one? I'm just going to leave the key out of the ignition all together.

thanks again guys
Just be careful and do not short the battery with a wrench or something. Take off your wedding ring and watch if you wear one.

·
Premium Member
10,293 Posts
Just be careful and do not short the battery with a wrench or something. Take off your wedding ring and watch if you wear one.
take off the ground (black) cable first to avoid this possibility.

·
Registered
1994 S320 SWB
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
if I was married at 17, I'd have probably been seized with all those polygamist children :p but I do have my class ring, and a watch. thank you for the advance warning :)

·
Registered
183 Posts
Well I'm not sure anyone mentioned reasoning behind all these suggestions. What you find is that most (all) car systems are grounded to the frame on the negative terminal. This means if must disconnect the negative terminal first to prevent accidents/disaster. As mentioned this cable is black, the battery should be stamped with a --- and the cable usually leads to a bolt on the car frame.

Now if you where to fiddle with the positive terminal first, there is always the possibility that you could touch the wrench to the steel car frame when undoing the bolt. That would cause huge amounts of electricity to flow, doing fantastic things, like arc welding, exploding metal, fire and the like.

By fiddling with the negative terminal first, you can only touch negative to negative. Once you undo the terminal and place the cable where it can't contact the battery again you can proceed with the positive terminal.

Yes and touching the negative terminal to the positive terminal with any metal tool is also a no-no.

The reason for removing you rings and watch is again to prevent accidently creating a circuit, then your ring or watch could conduct lots of AMPs and glow cheery red...

The 12 V won't kill you directly, you need higher voltage and some amps for that. Someone mentioned 35V, but aren't cars migrating to 48V at some point?

Lastly also ensure you ventilate the battery area a bit before working, if you are not using gel batteries this ensures any hydrogen sulphide gas dissipates, otherwise you run the risk of a electrical spark igniting it and perhaps causing the battery to explode.

·
Registered
2014 CLS63S SB
1,164 Posts
Not many Amps at all 68882. The jury is out but the figure is close to 40mA and above to cause death.

·
Registered
1994 S320 SWB
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for all the tips guys. diconnected and reconnected a few minutes ago. worked perfectly, and no more random check engine light :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Less than 50V is considered low voltage (safe for humans). As little as 12 mA is enough to causes heart problems in someone susceptible - at least in the marine environment.

That said, a friend one dropped a wrench a across the two terminals. It glowed cherry red just before the battery exploded. Poor guy got sprayed with battery acid and still has scars. Be careful.

·
W140 Moderator
"CHRIS" Merc 92 600SEL / Sold > 93 600SE / 93 S500 / 89 560SEL / 413CDI / B180-CDI /A170-CDI
7,730 Posts
sorry for the dumb question, I just want to know the proper procedure so that I don't electricute myself. I know it's in the trunk under the floor mat.
=======================================================
It's nothing Personal so it is not an Answer for any Member here on his Forum,just sharing my Experience with this Question .....

The Last Person who ask't me this Question in Person ,cop't this Answer from me "
1st: you need to take of all 4 Tyres
2nd :Open all Windows ,so the smoke wont affect the Interior of the Car when you disconnect the actual Batterie ,close all doors.
3rd : disconnect the Main Power in the House
4th: Open the Bonnet & remove Airfilter's
5th: Have the Firebrigade Number handy .
6th : Get the right Spanner and undo the Negative at the Batterie then the Positve .
I'am still cracking up every time i think about it,WHY, because he belived it , Lol .
Ciao:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
10,293 Posts
=======================================================
It's nothing Personal so it is not an Answer for any Member here on his Forum,just sharing my Experience with this Question .....

The Last Person who ask't me this Question in Person ,cop't this Answer from me "
1st: you need to take of all 4 Tyres
2nd :Open all Windows ,so the smoke wont affect the Interior of the Car when you disconnect the actual Batterie ,close all doors.
3rd : disconnect the Main Power in the House
4th: Open the Bonnet & remove Airfilter's
5th: Have the Firebrigade Number handy .
6th : Get the right Spanner and undo the Negative at the Batterie then the Positve .
I'am still cracking up every time i think about it,WHY, because he belived it , Lol .
Ciao:thumbsup:
there was a member (lady member, oddly enough) in here that ruled that W140 is not a safe car... WHY??

because any thief could cut the door closure assist vacuum lines, blow in them, and the doors will open....

HAHAHAHAHA

true story, anyone not believing, search the W140 section...

·
W140 Moderator
"CHRIS" Merc 92 600SEL / Sold > 93 600SE / 93 S500 / 89 560SEL / 413CDI / B180-CDI /A170-CDI
7,730 Posts
there was a member (lady member, oddly enough) in here that ruled that W140 is not a safe car... WHY??

because any thief could cut the door closure assist vacuum lines, blow in them, and the doors will open....

HAHAHAHAHA

true story, anyone not believing, search the W140 section...
====================================================

LOL. How can you cut them once the Car is locked up , Crykey Lol,Lol.

However , if the Batterie is Disconnected and you Open a Door ,it wont reclose ,you cant even close it if you wanted to , i try'd ,they spring back,nothing work't , as far as i remember , i thing that not even the Boot can be closed if it was open'd while the Batterie is out ,but m not to sure on this one .
Ciao

1 - 14 of 14 Posts