Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2002 MB E55 AMG
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I posted this in the E55AMG forum.

I've been pulling my hair out with filling the gas tank on my 02 E55. See my earlier post
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210-e50-amg-e55-amg/1577611-cant-fill-gas-tank-keeps-shutting.html

Today, I took off the large vent hose on the top of the canister that goes to the fuel tank, car filled up easily, no gurgling trying to get the gas to go in.

I replace the vent valve last year, didn't help. When I checked the vent valve, not sure if there is a coil in the valve, or if the two electric terminals are just a contact, the ohmmeter reading was 0 ohms, so if there is a coil, is it shorted? Does anyone know if the terminals are connected to an internal switch or a coil in the vent valve? If it is shorted, could it have harmed/burned out any other electric circuits?

When I blow into the large inlet at the top of the canister, the air comes out of one of the bottom fittings on the canister, so I don't think it's clogged.

I hate to buy a $500 charcoal canister or another $150 vent valve.

I tempted to just leave the vent hose disconnected :surrender:

Can anyone explain how the whole system is supposed to work?

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,717 Posts
The link doesn't work. Copy with starting after www.
The canister works on pressurized system and should not affect filling up. Is that what you have problem with?

·
Registered
2002 MB E55 AMG
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I fixed the link. The problem is that is is almost impossible to fill the gas tank, constantly shutting off the nozzle, and gas is having a hard time flowing into the tank. The gas just backs up into the fill neck and drains slowly into the tank when the nozzle is shut off.

The tank vent line goes to the top of the canister and when I took it off the canister, filled right up, no gurgling. The tank is not venting so it is almost impossible to get any gas in. Some stations, if I turn the nozzle upside down, I can coax gas into the tank.

I have replaced both the vent valve on the tank and the purge valve under the hood. The line from the purge valve to the canister is clear too.

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,717 Posts
You have to notice that you have tank vent pipe and fill up tube vent pipe.
Tank vent pipe does not affect filling up. From what you are saying your fill up vent is kinked, or clogged.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts