Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
91 black 300E (from college days), 01 Vette, 01 Porsche 911, 08 Porsche 911, Lincoln Navigator
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These cars have plastic covers underneath the bottom of the car that will catch any oil/fluid leak. Check the bottom of your car and see if there is a cover. I bought my 91 300E new, and there is a plastic cover.

·
Registered
E320 wagon
953 Posts
Jack up the front or buy ramps , remove 4 -6 screws & cover ,wash the engine sides / bottom ,with engine spray degreaser ( auto parts store ) . Rinse with a hot bucket of laundry soap water and brush (foxtail ). Drive the car for a few a day or two , get a mirror or look for drops on the driveway , cardboard . Most likely front / rear crank seal / transmission / oil filter / drain plug.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Leaks

With the cover removed you still may be confused as to where the fluid is actually coming from. My experience is: The transmission flex line going to the exchanger was bad and replaced. Still oil all over underneath the engine and floor. Thought I had several problems. Turned out to be the steering box seal. Relpaced it and all is dry. It is surprising how the windage moves fluid around from one place. Good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts