Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to remove entire posive battery cable from my 2002 ml320, but there is, what looks like a bolt on the firewall, that will not come off, it just keeps turning. Does anyone out there know, a) what that bolt is? and b) how can I get it off. The positive battery cable corroded at that point, and I was hoping I could just join a new cable from the battery to that point.

·
Registered
'16 GLE350, '14 E350 Sports, '14 GLK350, '02 ML500, '01 ML320 & '96 C280
123 Posts
Please, update your profile with vehicle and location info.

Here is layout of ML320 battery cables.
This is very helpful.
Does anyone know if I can replace the positive cable with 6 gauge wire ? my shows corrosion on the positive terminal.

I also want to add a disconnect switch as I sometime dont drive this car for weeks. and it would be helpful if I can get a longer wire for the disconnect switch as the original wire is too short and space is limited

Attachments

·
Registered
1990 190E 2.6,.... 1998 ML320, 2005 ML500SE
3,103 Posts
I would discourage using a disconnect switch. The electronic component in the ML do not like total power disconnects and re-connects. Also any on or off switch arcing could potentially harm the electronics.
Mike

·
Premium Member
2000 ML55 sold? 2013 ML500,? 2015 C250 estate wagon, 1927 Dodge 4 sedan, 1929 Dodge
4,914 Posts
You would be better to buy a small CTEK charger to keep it topped up and conditioned.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
^^ +1
I have two CTEK US800's that I use on my ML's, 190E and Tractor. Bought from Amazon.

CTEK is the units sold by Mercedes and Porche.

Mike

·
Registered
2000 ML 55 AMG
1 Posts
I'm trying to remove entire posive battery cable from my 2002 ml320, but there is, what looks like a bolt on the firewall, that will not come off, it just keeps turning. Does anyone out there know, a) what that bolt is? and b) how can I get it off. The positive battery cable corroded at that point, and I was hoping I could just join a new cable from the battery to that point.
Did you ever find an answer to this question? Or does anyone else have an answer?

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
First of all the single post by this user claims the positive battery cable goes to the firewall and that is not correct. The negative battery cable connects to the firewall.

Mike

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
7,715 Posts
First of all the single post by this user claims the positive battery cable goes to the firewall and that is not correct. The negative battery cable connects to the firewall.

Mike
From 08/2000 positive cable has another branch that goes trough firewall. From positive clamp to via 74 then interior cable 77 to fuse box F2. In case of heavy corrosion nut 80 is impossible to remove.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm trying to remove entire posive battery cable from my 2002 ml320, but there is, what looks like a bolt on the firewall, that will not come off, it just keeps turning. Does anyone out there know, a) what that bolt is? and b) how can I get it off. The positive battery cable corroded at that point, and I was hoping I could just join a new cable from the battery

I’m having this exact same problem with my 94 c280 except all my gauges stoped working and I have no lights anywhere, I tried to remove the bolt that is on the stud that supples the starter with power but when I tried to remove it it just turns and now I have no power anywhere so is there a way to replace it or do I have to dig up the floor and find it from the inside of the car to connect the power back up I can only find articles about the same problem but but no solution.

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
1,532 Posts
Stephen you may want to edit your post I think you put your question inside the quotes you may want to edit it. Also add your vehicle and year to your avatar.

·
Registered
2003 C320 coupe, 2000 ML320
886 Posts
Stephen wrote :"I’m having this exact same problem with my 94 c280 except all my gauges stoped working and I have no lights anywhere, I tried to remove the bolt that is on the stud that supples the starter with power but when I tried to remove it it just turns and now I have no power anywhere so is there a way to replace it or do I have to dig up the floor and find it from the inside of the car to connect the power back up "

Wrong forum and YES...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts