Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Forum Administrator , RC Colas® & Moon Pies®
1981 380SL 151K: 2005 S500 116K
39,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have posted this question previously in other places but never here. I think the time may have come. If you have already answered this somewhere else, you are exempt.

Let me first say, if you refer to your 107 as "Poopsie", I'd rather not know.

What I AM interested in is what you call your car when speaking to others. For instance, let's say that you are about to tell someone that you are going out in your 107. Unless that person haunts these forums like we do, they probably would have no idea what you were talking about if you referred to the car as "the 107" as in, "Honey, let's take the 107 for a spin."

"The Mercedes-Benz" is just too long for casual conversation (and I'm not sure how you pronounce the hyphen, anyway. A "woof" sound accompanied by a fist pump?)

"The Benz" sounds too late modelish like something from the nineties or newer.
~"The SL" just doesn't quite roll off the tongue and "The 380/450/500/560 SL" is even more of a twister.

I have a difficult time pronouncing "Mercedes" by itself. It comes out "Marrh-sadies." Maybe it's a mental block...I dunno. If you've ever seen the Hitchcock movie, "North by Northwest", there is a scene in the first 20 minutes where Cary Grant's character is forced to drink a fifth of alcohol and then placed behind the wheel of a late 50's 220 cabriolet ponton on a winding cliff road. Later, after escaping death, Grant and a female character are discussing the car. She refers to it as a "Meht-Sadies" (I suspect this is probably closest to the correct German pronunciation) while Cary Grant calls it a "Mare-Sadies" and sounds really cool. I want to sound like Cary Grant!

I don't want to sound pretentious (see: Jag-yew-ah) but I need some comfortable way to refer to the car.
So, fill in the blank please.

"Honey, it's a beautiful day, the price of gas is under $3.00 a gallon and I just installed a new (insert most recent $500 plus replacement part here). Let's put the top down and go for a ride in the _____________ !

·
Premium Member
22,841 Posts
I refer to my C107 as The Silver Car, as opposed to The Black One, a '77 280SE I had for a number of years. The 280 has passed on to the BenzYard in the sky, but The Silver Car moniker lingers....

·
Registered
'80 450SLC Afro RHD Ikonengold
2,951 Posts
I guess how you refer to your beauty depends on emotional bond.

I always call mine "Mečka Božana" (pronounced Metchka Bozhana... or something like that).

First part translate to "she bear" and is a usual loving name for Mertzédes (<- German like pronounciation) since Ponton era and Bozana is the favourite fary tale bear character (but nothing like teletubies!!!)

I refered to Mazda I had as "Mazderatti". Most cars I had had some kind a nickname

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
29,682 Posts
My wife calls it "YOUR CAR".
I seem to have different names depending on my mood.
Today, Saturday, I was fighting shoppers traffic so I am calling it "the squealing piece of shit".

Normally I call it the "benz" or the "Merc". So to not sound pretentious, I also refer to it as the "green" car. Depends who I am talking to.

The brakes are driving me to drink.....maybe that's why I have yet to solve the problem.

·
Premium Member
2010 Mercury Milan Hybrid, 1993 BMW 325i convertible
6,077 Posts
Digmenow said:
What I AM interested in is what you call your car when speaking to others.
It depends on who I'm talking to and what the state of the latest project is. I've called it the convertible, the Mercedes, the toy car, the frustrating piece of shit and that damned car. The last two don't get used often, but when they are it's heart-felt.

And I say it Mer-SAY-deez. The other half has a pronunciation I've never heard before: Mer-SAIDz

·
Premium Member
87 300SL "Roadster" 86 420SEL "Limo" 89 420SEL The "New" Limo 87 190E 2.6 fact bodykit
1,575 Posts
I say things like"Lets go for a run in the SL" or "It's a top day for a cruise in the roadster"

The SEL is the Limo

·
Always Remembered RIP
1973 450 SLC AMG, 1995 Chevy Tahoe
3,381 Posts
Well I definitly have two ways. When I'm refering to her in the as if "which car", I allways say "The Mercedes." But when I'm just talking about her I allways say "she or her".

I thought of an other thing. 85% of the time when I'm out and about and someone starts talking about her, they are totally interested about the AMG. (UOOPPS Sorry I even call her, "her" then . You can disreguard this last bit.)

·
Registered
84' 500 Sl , 2013 W221 S 350 Petrol
180 Posts
to people i say : my old SL. :)
to friends : my b!tch :eek:
to family : my benz :cool:
to you expert people : 107 :D

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Most times it's just the benz.
When I have to break out the sawzall, it's the WOPOS, among other things not fit to post.

·
Forum Administrator , RC Colas® & Moon Pies®
1981 380SL 151K: 2005 S500 116K
39,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BenzToy said:
Most times it's just the benz.
When I have to break out the sawzall, it's the WOPOS, among other things not fit to post.
Worthless Old POS?
Wicked Ornery POS?
Way Obscure POS?
Wretchedly Obtuse POS?
Wastefully Obstinate POS?

What?

·
Registered
2017 Police Interceptor Utility, 2017 Police Interceptor Sedan
7,747 Posts
We used to call ours "the convertible". The 280E is called "the police car".

·
Registered
1987 560SL - 1994 S420 - 2005 S55 AMG
341 Posts
I call her Elvira, on account that she's black as midnight and the license is 666.

·
Registered
1966 250SE Cab, 1989 500SEL euro
3,570 Posts
w124 - "The Diesel"
w123 - "The Black Car" (it was the first black car)
r107 - "The Convertible", but his real name is "Damien".

·
Registered
mercedes benz 450sl 1978
19 Posts
Well depends, I usually say the Old SL, that way everybody knows it s not the latest model. As for the nickname, well I have two, Sexy Lady and Shrek. Shrek because she's green and eats gas like an ogre.

·
Registered
1989 560 SL, 2013 Audi Allroad, 2010 Prius
8 Posts
"My 18-year old antique convertable" to my anti-materialistic friends; the red car to my wife; the SL to my drooling 19 year old son..........

·
Premium Member
2010 Mercury Milan Hybrid, 1993 BMW 325i convertible
6,077 Posts
cheverney said:
"My 18-year old antique convertable" to my anti-materialistic friends; the red car to my wife; the SL to my drooling 19 year old son..........
Oh, yeah, that reminds me. I called it "the classic Mercedes convertible I'm restoring" when I talked to the parents of the kid who (woops) forgot to put his foot on the brake of the humongous truck he was driving and ran into the back of my car in a fast food drive through. Ugliness abounded. Don't hit my car. Especially don't hit my car and then tell me "Well, it's old, it's not that big a deal." And don't then tell me you have (woops) forgotten all forms of ID at home and are currently driving with only a bad photocopy of someone else's insurance policy. Because when you do all of those things I turn into a raging, leaky asshole, and I spew stink and filth everywhere. Parents were called. Keys were taken. Under age drivers were grounded. Apologies were issued.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts