Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
88' 260e
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
since summer is coming and my ac isnt working i went to have it looked at and i was told i needed to recharge it but the guy said he didnt have the right tip. i wanted to know what kind of "tip" he was talking about and where could i get it.

·
W124 Moderator
86 190E 2.3L 16V, 2 95 320TE's, 02 S500
12,672 Posts
Your car is running R12 refrigerant if it hasn't been "converted" to R134a. R12 systems use a Schrader valve to introduce refrigerant (like a valve stem on the wheel). Find a shop that still works with R12.

Good Luck,

Jayare

·
W124 Moderator
86 190E 2.3L 16V, 2 95 320TE's, 02 S500
12,672 Posts
Converting an R12 system to 134a isn't a hard job if you have the correct tools and know how. The AC system works under a vacuum and you'll need to extract any remaining refrigerant in it. Once you've emptied the system, you need to change the valves over, flush the system, changed the expansion valve, change the receiver dryer and then draw the system down before introducing the new refrigerant and oil.

If you don't have the necessary tools and equipment to do this, there is no way it's a DIY job. Take it to a professional shop

Good Luck,

Jayare

·
Registered
1983 W123 300CD OM617: 1992 W124 400E M119
235 Posts
Find a shop that works w/ R12. Don't convert to 134 unless you absolutely MUST. You won't be happy with the performance of a converted system - it's worth keeping on R12.

The older 124 chassis does *okay* on converted systems, but overall you will be much happier with the performance from good old R12. The refrigerant is costly but recharges are seldom necessary if everything is buttoned up properly.

I think 1990 or 91 was the last year of R12 in the 124 - I know my 92 is a 134 factory system. It's easy to tell by looking at the fitting.

·
Registered
1988 260E
22 Posts
r12

Find a shop that works w/ R12. Don't convert to 134 unless you absolutely MUST. You won't be happy with the performance of a converted system - it's worth keeping on R12.

I agree completely. Changing over is a real hassle and obviously expensive.

If your system is leaking profusely then it may be an option to retrofit to 134. Otherwise there is a product in Canada called RED TEK that can be used in the R12 system. They also make a leak stop product for any minor leaks in the system. (and it's Enviro friendly)

here is the link for the product.

RED TEK

·
Registered
Mercedes 1986 300E 165,000 miles
110 Posts
Bring it to a shop that has the vaccum system. The whole has to be vacuumed out and then forced filled....Thats what I had to do with mine. It cost me $60 bucks.

·
Registered
Sold
64 Posts
Im slow to reply but hey.
Anyway if the system is empty i would stick with the r12. You can do this yourself but you would need to invest in gauges and leak detection. Its illegal to empty your system into the atmosphere so if the system isn't empty you kind of have to take it to a shop. 60.00 is really reasonable and i wouldn't do it myself in that case. There are just a lot of shysters in the AC bizz here down south.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts