Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2000 C230 komp.
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2000 MB c230K with about 78,000 miles. i got new tires about 16,000 miles ago and have never rotated them. now, the front drivers side is completely bald on the very outside edge (about a 1 inch wide spot where the sidewall meets the tread, the rest of the tire looks fine). so, i tried to remove the wheel and it was stuck as usual. i have gotten it off in the past by kicking it really hard but this time it would not work and i am worried about bending something in the suspension so i dont want to hit it too hard. tried a mallet and large hammer on the outside but did not work either. dont know what to do. i have heard of people who take one of the wheel/tire combos from another spot on the car and use it as a large hammer to swing it and hit the tire , and that would probably work but i cant get any other wheel off either, they are all stuck on very well.
what do you people do to remove your wheels, as i know this is a common problem with these cars? thanks for the help people.

·
Registered
'96 C220 n/a diesel
393 Posts
Just whack it on the bottom of the tyre, if that fails lower the jack until the wheels on the ground, generally the wieght of the car should shift it, but reemember to have the jack taking most of the weight, or if all esle fail take it to the tyre fitters

·
Registered
1998 c230 170K
1,415 Posts
Get some PB blaster fluid, jack up the side, put jackstand underneath, take out all the lug nuts, spray inside holes and rotate wheel while doing so. Wait 10-15 minutes, give a tap with rubber mallot, DONE. B

·
Registered
2000 C230 komp.
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i removed the lugs and sprayed WD40 (not PB blaster cause i did not have any) inside the holes and behind the hub and such but it did not work. so then, i put the lugs most of the way back on and tried to drop the jack really fast hoping that it would break it loose but still nothing. i kicked the holy crap out of it and still nothing. only thing i have not done is loosen the lugs and drive the car but i am kind of afraid to do that cause it could bend or break something.
i could take it to the tire shop but i know they will just do the same things i am doing but they wont have nearly as much care in doing them. i think they would just get the sledge hammer out and whack it till it falls off regardless of what damage that might cause. keep in mind they are only making minimum wage so what do they really care about your fancy mercedes. just my opinion.

anybody else have any thoughts? thanks as usual guys

·
2.3-16 | A3 2.0T | 986 Boxster
5,048 Posts
My thoughts, bring it somewhere that has a lift, they probably will use a sizable rubber hammer to break them free. When you do get them off put some Anti Seize compound where the wheel makes contact with the hub. It won't ever happen again. In fact that should be everyone's weekend project. Imagine getting a flat on the highway and not being able to get the wheel off... Or worse, your wife or kid getting a flat and not being able to get the wheel off.

·
Registered
1998 c230 170K
1,415 Posts
WD-40 and PB Blaster, its like comparing Apples to Oranges.
Yes, I do put some lubricant on the rotor hub area to prevent this problem, everytime I take the wheel off, never a problem since. B

·
Registered
Timeship, see you yesterday, but you already knew that.
4,103 Posts
Jack it up. Support the car with a jack stand. Remove lug bolt's. Place a (about two and a half feet of 3/8 - 1/2 drive extension(s)) between the frame and rim edge, use the power steering to brake the rim loose from the hub.

·
Registered
2005 CLK55 AMG Coupe ,CLK320,Former,C180 Kompressor,Jensen Healey,Ford Capri V6,Alfa GTV.
2,548 Posts
Thanks Davo,
I found that slowly lowering the jack to put weight on the tyre was the best method. Popped the wheel loose or allowed it to come loose with a bit of a shake.
Cleaned it up,put a smear of high temp grease on the contact area,should be easier next time.

·
Outstanding Contributor Always Remembered RIP
216 with everything. 2002 SL500 with everything. 2009 SL500 with everything.
6,543 Posts
Yes just loosen all the bolts a tiny amount and drive the car round the block normally fixes this.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I threaded two of the small holes in case I need to get the rim off on the road. I keep two bolts that fit and sometimes I have to go back and forth between the two to get it off the anti seize is not a good idea because it flings all over the place when it gets hot and everybody knows what a mess that will be.

·
Registered
1999 C280 (sport), also 2001 SLK230
543 Posts

I threaded two of the small holes in case I need to get the rim off on the road. I keep two bolts that fit and sometimes I have to go back and forth between the two to get it off the anti seize is not a good idea because it flings all over the place when it gets hot and everybody knows what a mess that will be.
Welcome to the forum. But note that this is a very old thread, so you're not likely to get any replies. And please fill out your profile info with your location and models of car. If you have any mechanical questions, please be specific, note the car's mileage and other information which will help members to help you.

Cheers,

Kim G
Boston, MA

·
W163 and General M Gremlin
13,655 Posts
Ditto CheckEngine.
Update your Member registration.
Click on your icon----> click on Account Settings---->
goto Account Details----> add vehicle details---->
ADD your make model YEAR ----> click save.

NEVER use anti-seize with wheel lugs.

·
W221 Moderator
2008 S63
1,229 Posts
The anti size tip is a great one. I've been doing this on my cars for a while now, and it works great!
It is great stuff, my shop foreman taught me to put it on any time I removed wheel. I had many cars that I worked on come in for their yearly service and the rims just popped off and I could see the ant seize I had put on the year prior still there.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.