532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey again guys.

Upgraded my stock sound system (non-bose) to one with:

Boston Acoustic component speakers up front
Boston Acoustics coax speakers in the rear
JL Audio AMP and Sub Amp
JL Audio 12 inch subwoofer in the trunk

Sound great. Much better than stock. Never heard the Bose upgraded system.

OK, here's my problem: My dear wife HATES the subwoofer. Even though it has the quick release connector, she finds it too heavy to easily remove and wants a more unobtrusive option.

Here's my question for those Bose owners out there : How does the subwoofer sound? I'm not looking to blow the doors off my truck or go deaf, but I do like a well rounded sound. I'm thinking of installing the Bose subwoofer under the drivers seat, but am wondering if it delivers a decent kick.

·
Registered
Mercedes "M32"
961 Posts
You will get varied opinions depending on how much the person is into audio ... I myself think the Bose sub is not even close to enough ooomph. But looking at the system as a whole, the sub matches the mids and highs OK. So to conclude, you DO NOT want to put the BOSE sub in the truck you just put all those components into. Tell your wife to deal with the JL sub. (Just my humble opinion.. LOL)

·
Registered
98 ML320& 05 ML350SE
147 Posts
bocobod - 5/2/2005 10:36 PM
...I'm thinking of installing the Bose subwoofer under the drivers seat, but am wondering if it delivers a decent kick.
IIRC, You cannot add the BOSE Sub to the "regular" OEM head unit from 98 - has to be the upgraded head unit. Plus the Bose Sub will not be compatible with aftermarket.

·
Registered
Ml 320
66 Posts
my 1998 ml came with the panasonic system, I purchased the bose speakers (front and back), bose amp and bose sub on ebay...
I'll do the upgrade...
do I need cables ? or special conectors for this ?
I also got the bose system (original 1998) but never got the code...
thanks in advance for any tips..

·
Premium Member
ML430
2,662 Posts
I have my Bose subwoffer working with my aftermarket HU...

Why dont you sell the 12" and get a 8" w3v2.. A 12 might be a little much. I know mine is. I have a 12 w3v2 and it is much for my girlfriend.

If i was you I would build a custom box that goes below the 2nd row seats. That housed the 8".. But that is just what I would do!

Good luck!

BTW, what kind of 12 do you have?

·
Registered
98ML320
1,278 Posts
I put in a custom sealed enclosure 10" that does not need to be removed and stored. The sound is significantly better than the BOSE to my ears (much deeper and louder without the muddiness in the mid-bass). I move lots of stuff all the time and I've had enough stereos stolen to know better than to have anything visible.

Certainly an option for your wife. The space will not accomdate a 12 without it extending out over the wheel well which could be another option for you.

Attachments

·
Registered
2007 ML350
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey bigcatny : that custom enclosure looks great. How did you do it? I don't need a 12" if I can hide it, I think the bose is an 8". I assume you had to remove the CD changer mount?

hey ttaleric I have a w3v2 also [:D]

·
Premium Member
ML430
2,662 Posts
Cool. I installed a custom system into a ford sport trac, and it had a 8" subwoffer, and that thing pounded pretty good...

I think a 10" might be a little much for your wife too. I think that a solid 8" with about 400watts pushing it will be more than enough.

I love my w3v2!!! If you decided to sell it let me know!!! I am building a custom fiberglass enclosure for my ML this summer and i need another 12!

·
Registered
2000 ML430, 2000 C280
920 Posts
If you want to listen to fine music with an even frequency response, then even the Bose subwoofer is too loud. Boom is noise, not music.

I would like to know if it is possible to reduce the loudness of the ML-430 Bose subwoofer so as to make it better match the regular bass output. Anyone know how to adjust the subwoofer?

DelJ

MLOffRoad - 5/2/2005 7:47 PM

You will get varied opinions depending on how much the person is into audio ... I myself think the Bose sub is not even close to enough ooomph. But looking at the system as a whole, the sub matches the mids and highs OK. So to conclude, you DO NOT want to put the BOSE sub in the truck you just put all those components into. Tell your wife to deal with the JL sub. (Just my humble opinion.. LOL)

·
Premium Member
ML430
2,662 Posts
I think the EQ is attached to the amp that is located on the driver side, behind where the cup holder is. From what i understand.

·
Registered
98ML320
1,278 Posts
All Bose systems seem to be tuned with way too much mid-bass and I'm pretty sure the EQ has no adjustments.

I believe the BOSE sub is a tuned, ported 6 inch.

For balance, the 10 inch is just about enough. The tuning is very important and my Subs are tuned only to produce very deep notes. Mid-bass is produced by the door speakers. The Bose uses the sub-woofer to produce mid-bass frequencies because the door drivers are so puny. The bose does not actually produce deep bass, just too much mid-bass.

If you listen to rap or lots of bass heavy music you may need a larger Sub. As for my setup, my head unit allows me to adjust the sub output like I change the volume so it's never overpowering.

I think the problem for bocobod's wife was having to take out the stupid box. I know I hated that when I tried a box many many cars ago. By building it in that is not a problem and it's easy to adjust the bass if the sub seems overpowering. If it cannot be adjusted by the bass or an included control like I have then your installer did a really lousy job tuning the sub. Personally, I almost never need to adjust any sound settings other than volume but it's nice to have the option.

Yes, I did have the CD bracket taken out since I moved the new CD to underneath the drivers seat. I hate having to get out to change CD's. Of course since I got the Ipod, that's not really an issue anymore.

My 2 cents and take it for what it's worth. Make sure you do what is right for you.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts