Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys!<br> <br> I am planning to get a C320 w/Navi system but wondering is it worth the money, First becasue i just found out that it is using CD-rom instead of DVD rom. I have tested drive the ACURA CL w/NAVI which is DVD-ROM BASED (Touch screen and point of interest and many more etc) and it is very very nice system. I don't know how good is the C class NAVI compare to ACURA Navi system? <br> <br> Any comments would be very appreciate!<br> <br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Unless you're planning to criss-cross the country, you probably won't need the extra CDs. And if you do, you can buy the CD's from the dealer. The only caveat, you'll have to swap CD's. <br> <br> I have the Cal/Nev/Arz CD. That's sufficient, since I don't plan on driving to other states.<br> <br> I do agree that DVD disc based systems are superior based on data storage.<br> <br> As for the touch screen, this is debateable since your oily fingers tend to streak the screen. MBZ's COMMAND, is not touch screen and uses a single knob that you rotate/push to control the cursor on the screen. Almost akin to navigating a mouse. Just imagine the cursor (mouse pointer) being your finger.... it's simple to use and navigate. Albeit, you can type faster with a touch screen.<br> <br> COMMAND has features such as Attractions, Dining, Hospitals, Amusement Parks, Shopping Centers, Grocery Stores, etc. Also, has memory settings for addresses that you regularly use. And it has a history, so that you can go back and see where you've been and select your destination from that list.<br> <br> It has the basic NAV data, distance remaining, distance until next voice direction, estimated time of arrival, zoomable map, among many others.<br> <br> I like the fact that I can turn off the LCD display and it still displays the navigational directional arrow in the gauge cluster along with pertenent data such as freeway/street. I think in the long run, it saves the LCD from burning out.<br> <br> The C-Class Nav places the data on both the center LCD and the guage cluster. I don't like looking at the LCD because it takes my eyes off the road. It's far more easier to look at my speedo cluster with the NAV data.<br> <br> Keep in mind that the COMMAND manual is 300+ pages! This thing is sophisticated and has many functions that I haven't tried out yet.<br> <br> Is it worth $2K? Probably not, unless you can't read a map and have problems with directions. The only reason I have it, is because it makes the interior look great. For pure asthetics.....<br> <br> Tell your salesperson to take you out on a spin in a car with COMMAND. I had to test drive an S-Class with COMMAND because he said very few people order COMMAND for the C-Class.<br> <br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think it could of been better...

I have the comand and i wish it was more like the infamous Acura navigation system.... Touch screen and DVD based. with the COMAND it gets annoying having to change the CD's... i havent dared going out of state using the COMAND's guidence because states that are not included in the disc, are the ones i have to travel through. so i dont know if i have to switch the disc when i reach a point in one state or if the states are repetitive on numerous discs. its very confusing. mercedes makes the most luxurious cars in the world, something like a navigation system should be a good thing. having a company like Acura and Lexus take over the navigation systems is insulting to mercedes. MAKE DVD BASED NAVIGATION SYSTEM MERCEDES!!! but overall i am pleased with my COMAND system. it justs blows me away with its capabilities.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i totally agree with Krazy c320, it makes the interior look much better. i have it in my car but my sister has the Acura TL and she likes the simple use of it, the Command is a lil tough having to turn the knob, but what if the touch screen of the Acura gets damaged?? then what? i'm sure they tested it long enough to produce it.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A friend has the Acura and I have the MCS navi...

The maps are more detailed in the MB version (sreets, etc.) Although both use NavTech as the provider, the firmware is very different.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts