Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2005 SLK 55 AMG
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when the batteries in your key are getting weak? Is there a message that shows up that the IR signal is dropping off before you won't be able to start the car?

Is there a way to use the steel key to start the car or does it ONLY use the IR key?

·
Registered
06 SLK 55 Firemist
1,580 Posts
CP1 - 3/7/2005 11:20 AM

when the batteries in your key are getting weak? Is there a message that shows up that the IR signal is dropping off before you won't be able to start the car?

Is there a way to use the steel key to start the car or does it ONLY use the IR key?
The LED battery level indicator built into the fob.

·
Registered
SLK 350 Caspian Blue
11 Posts
very good question. is the IR ignition dependant on batteries on the remote??? or only the remote itself? when would you know to change batteries?Your text here

·
Registered
350 SLK
1,528 Posts
CP1 - 3/7/2005 8:20 AM

I just read this in the manual last night. The key uses 2 CR type batteries. The manual says if you briefly press the lock or unlock button and the red light comes on then the battery is ok. If the light does not come on, the battery is dead. There is no way to tell if it is getting weak[:0]

·
Registered
SLK 350 Caspian Blue
11 Posts
my key fob doesn't have a red light indicator!!!? so, again, how would i know if the battery is low?[:(]

·
Registered
SLK350
128 Posts
I change my batteries onec a year, dont wait for it to let you downe on a weekend or late at night. EDD11Y

·
Registered
06 SLK 55 Firemist
1,580 Posts
Edd11y - 3/7/2005 2:37 PM

I change my batteries onec a year, dont wait for it to let you downe on a weekend or late at night. EDD11Y
This is unnecessary unless you are raising and lowering the top by the fob several times each day. Lithon ion batteries last (are stable) for about 10 years. The amount of current drain on the battery to lock or unlock the car is almost negligible. I have a 97 Explorer with 100,000 miles and using the same fob with the original battery.

·
Registered
2005 SLK350 2011 GLK3504X 2006 ML350(selling when GLK arrives)
1,940 Posts
jhkngmd - 3/7/2005 10:41 AM

my key fob doesn't have a red light indicator!!!? so, again, how would i know if the battery is low?[:(]
The LED doesn't show until it lights...it is very hard to see (blacked over)...look in the location of the "little" red dot on the picture I posted above...[:D]

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
jono_m - 3/7/2005 2:32 PM

What is that huge red button at the tip of the key?? Is it like a panic alarm or something?
Yes, that large red button is a "Panic" alarm...[;)]

[:D]

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Hey, I have to come to the defense of my friends down under...my picture wasn't clear enough to read the word...and their keys may be different...I might ask the same question in that situation...just trying to help....[:eek:)][:eek:)][:eek:)]

·
Registered
SLK 200K
144 Posts
Motzkoman - 3/9/2005 4:30 PM

Hey, I have to come to the defense of my friends down under...my picture wasn't clear enough to read the word...and their keys may be different...I might ask the same question in that situation...just trying to help....[:eek:)][:eek:)][:eek:)]
G'day Motzkoman,

Thanks for sticking up for us! Yes, our keys are different. They don't have that button, but look the same in all other respects.

Cheers,
....Julian

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
two dogs - 3/7/2005 9:54 PM
G'day Motzkoman,

Thanks for sticking up for us! Yes, our keys are different. They don't have that button, but look the same in all other respects.

Cheers,
....Julian
No worries Julian...figured there were differences...

I loved my time in two 8 day business trips in 2000 to Sydney, Liverpool and Wangaretta...I can't wait to get back someday...[:D][:D][:D]

·
Registered
SLK350 AMG kit
121 Posts
CP1 - 3/7/2005 4:20 PM

I do not know the display on the SLK yet, but on my CLK the dash LCD display tells you when the key battery is getting low.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts