Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 SL500 and the window sticker says the bi Xenon was added for $745. Looking at the lights i dont think so, the low beam is a large projector that emits a blue light. The high beam looks like a regular yellow beam of light.

Am i missing something here. If it has it doesnt that mean both should be blue light in nature???

·
Registered
10,427 Posts
The above is correct. You can try the Russian VIN decoder to show your options. If you don't believe on the data card, you can check if you have auto levelling (no manual control) and headlamp washers.

The projector works as a combined low and high beam xenon light, the smaller ones come in addition for high beams, those are halogens. So you do have Bi-xenon plus halogen high beams.

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
Bizenon in Mercedes-speak means that the same bulb used for low beam is also used for high beam, there being an electrically powered moveable shield to achieve two different beam patterns.

The inner halogen "high beam" continues to exist and is used especially for "flashing," i.e. what's controlled by momentarily pulling back on the turn sig lever. HID bulbs do not come to brightness quickly enough to be used as flashers and therefore no car relies totally on HID bulbs.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have headlight washers and they do auto level so i guess i am all set

Thanks!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I called my dealer and based on my VIN he said I had Xenon hi beams and halogen low beams. My high beams use an H7 connector and my lows use a D2S connector.

However, when I pulled my lows out, they appear to be Xenon, not Halogen. So I'm buying Xenon replacements.

The reason your Xenon or Bi-Xenon do not appear to be Xenon by color is because I believe MB uses the 4300k color, which is white/yellow. The 6000k is more of a diamond white which you might think has a slight blue tint and the 8000k is very blue which is the signature Xenon color. Some people love the 8000k, others say they are noticably dimmer, I think they are too blue. Color numbers even higher have shades turning to purple, etc but not as good for night vision and definitely not as bright. The 4300k and 6000k have the highest lumen level and I feel the 6000k is the whitest/brightest. Some people feel the 8000k is the best but I think they say that because they like the cool blue color.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts