Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did a search all night and could not find anything. I have a 1996 c220 and can see part of 1 coil, but how do i get to them to unbolt them to replace with new ones?

·
Registered
10 Mercedes e350, 09 Mercedes GL450, 95 BMW 325IC, 89 Mercedes 260E, 84 Euro Mercedes 300D 4spd
645 Posts
You have to remove top engine cover
And will see it there

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks I did see your other posts, my qeustion is; is there a chance of a different version where the coils can be mounted other than under the cover? I took the cover off and thought I only saw 4 plug wires no coils, however it was at a glance and as I get older I forget guicker what I have seen. Any chance for them to be under the intake manifold?

·
2.3-16 | A3 2.0T | 986 Boxster
5,048 Posts
Thanks I did see your other posts, my qeustion is; is there a chance of a different version where the coils can be mounted other than under the cover? I took the cover off and thought I only saw 4 plug wires no coils, however it was at a glance and as I get older I forget guicker what I have seen. Any chance for them to be under the intake manifold?

All M111 engines are basically the same. 2 coils 4 plugs, all under that cover.

·
Registered
C180 Estate 1998 040 black
152 Posts
In 220-engines coils are mounted under throttle, screw from the bottom of in-take manifold. It is impossible to unmount them without unmount the manifold :(

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes good news for me, I am not going cenile yet I was right about the coils not being under the cover, bad news is they are a pain to get to. Why is this model parts are more expensive and now more difficult to work on to boot. URGHH.

Attachments

·
Registered
1995 C220
2,800 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think there are two 10mm head bolts on the intake manifold that the coils are bolted to from underneath. And if you loosen the power steering pump you can reach up in there to grab them and pull them out the bottom. Seems easier than removing the intake.

·
Registered
1996 C220
1 Posts
Did a search all night and could not find anything. I have a 1996 c220 and can see part of 1 coil, but how do i get to them to unbolt them to replace with new ones?
The coils are underneath the manifold. You have to take a lot of stuff off to go from the top. I found if you remove the Cover, undo the injector panel to get out of way, you can undo the screws from the top and then remove through the bottom. It took me more than a week of trying to get the manifold out to find this is the easiest way. Have now done it twice and am doing again this weekend. Takes me about an hour and a half now. First time at least 20 hours

·
Registered
28 Posts
The coils are underneath the manifold. You have to take a lot of stuff off to go from the top. I found if you remove the Cover, undo the injector panel to get out of way, you can undo the screws from the top and then remove through the bottom. It took me more than a week of trying to get the manifold out to find this is the easiest way. Have now done it twice and am doing again this weekend. Takes me about an hour and a half now. First time at least 20 hours
Hi! I unscrewed the top bolts and loosed the intake manifold support (the Y piece metal). Now, both coils are loose, but I still can not take those out.... Is it really need to take off the intake manifold, then can get the coils out? Anyone can help me please? Thanks

·
Registered
28 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think there are two 10mm head bolts on the intake manifold that the coils are bolted to from underneath. And if you loosen the power steering pump you can reach up in there to grab them and pull them out the bottom. Seems easier than removing the intake.
Anyone tried it and successed to take out the ignition coil?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello
Kindly share the wiring of the coils of C220 sedan 1996. I erroneously took my harnes out for repair and now I am confused which wire goes where.
I have the two wires bolted near the computer unit which lead to the coils.
How do i fix the fires to the coils? I am lost.
Please help.
Regards,
Bernard

1 - 15 of 15 Posts