Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see a lot of that around here, my neighbor has an 80 blue/palomino 240D in three years I have seen it decay... It's sad.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
My neighbor had a yellow 1979 240D 4-spd that he hardly ever drove. It was parked outside for so long that the sheriff started leaving notices to move it or be towed. After a couple weeks of that I think it got impounded for sitting on the street too long. That pissed me off because there's a guy who parks his pile o' sh*t RV that's in severe disrepair on the same block and never has gotten hassled for it. :mad: Another guy on the other side of my area has a champagne gold 300SD that he uses about once a week. For champagne gold (a color that I usually don't care for) it's a good looking car except for the trunk lid where the clear coat is completely shot.

There's a hippy kid in my town who runs around in a beat to hell WVO burner 240D with a red body, a green driver's door, blue left rear door, and a beige right rear door plus left wing political tree hugger stickers to boot. That car smokes like there's no tomorrow.

·
Registered
435 Posts
There's a few I see around here regularly. One is a HS age guy driving a gold 300D that'a about half covered in surface rust. He parks at what I assume is his friends house and gives me a thumbs up and a wave every time I drive by. Each time I see him I just shake my head and keep driving, the car just keeps getting worse. What the heck is cool about slowly killing a car!?!?!?

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
It is sad to me when its a really nice car or one with potential, but you have to remember these are cheap cars sold on the promise that they'll run forever. This isn't necessarily true, but for many people buying a rough $1500 car and beating it to the dirt is no problem. I'd never do it but I can understand why people do.

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
It is sad to me when its a really nice car or one with potential, but you have to remember these are cheap cars sold on the promise that they'll run forever. This isn't necessarily true, but for many people buying a rough $1500 car and beating it to the dirt is no problem. I'd never do it but I can understand why people do.
This...

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
beater?

Is my "new" '77 300D considered a beater? My indie says it is in excellent mechanical condition and has a beautiful bamboo interior (two flaws only), but the paint is horrible---faded and pitted badly all over the hood, roof and trunk. Also, the doors and fenders are faded as well. At the moment, I don't have the four or five grand to fix the rust, sand it to the metal and paint it. So, am I driving a beater? Please don't hurt my feelings; I like the car.
Hemersam

·
Registered
7 Posts
My neighborhood is a gold mine of 123's

One neighbor has 2 300TD Wagons - Silver Blue/Blue, and Manilla Beige/Palomino
Next Door has a Chocolate Brown/Brown Non Turbo 300d
There is a teenager down the way with a Black/Palomino 240d
There is another Ratty Beater of a 240d Ivory/Palomino - looks like it's dead.
Another neighbor has a Stunning Lapis Blue 300d Turbo, usually under a cover
Best of all is the Pea Soup Green Euro 300d with a stick shift.

All within 200 yards of my house.
I'm thinking of getting one just to keep up with the neighbors.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I am proud of my beater I had to buy when my truck was not running well. It has rust that I might fix or not fix and I mostly use it to drive my son to school. Either way I will get a lot of miles out of the car at a good fuel savings over a large pickup truck. $30,000 for a new car that will stop at 180,000 miles and look shabby after 10 years or $500 to $1500 for a diesel bomber that could get 200,000+ miles more? Easy choice. However, I do like the nice looking 300tds though!

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I get that there is cars out there that aren't worth repairing, but what I meant with to ask is about those NICE w123s that are driven by the wrong people... Driven to death... Those w123 that if I had the money I would offer their owners to buy from them so they don't ruin a beautiful machine.

It's like my friend who's dad inherited her his 1978 VW beetle, perfectly restored. She hates the car because of been a manual transmission, drives it with her foot in the clutch at all times even though I tought her how to drive a stick AGAIN!! She is past 1k miles on the oil change, and I ask her every time I see her, dude! It drives me crazy! I want to have money to buy her a beater from Craigslist! She doesn't even wash it or clean the inside, it's a mess now!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Wow, you guys seem to be surrounded by w123s. Here in McKinney, Texas (population 131,000) I happen to be 1 out of 3 w123 owners according to my local NAPA auto parts and the local German auto mechanic. I've only seen one of them, it's a blue one with bundts and looks in decent shape. I sure see more than plenty Ford and Chevy pick up trucks tho

·
Registered
218 Posts
Mine is a beater, on because it is a work in progress. I bought it off my father in-law who saved it from the junkyard. Perfectly good 84 300td-t. At the time I bought it off him it had 192k, I have rolled it over 200k now. I have been currently working to replace worn front steering components and anything else I run across. Once I am happy with getting the mechanics done I will get to the looks. But I drive 60 plus miles a day to work and 25-30 miles in a benz vs. 16 in a 07 Dodge Ram crew cab is a lot better for me.

·
Registered
10,152 Posts
I've talked to two folks who have, or the family has, bought the car new. A coupe and a wagon. Both looked as if they were seriously neglected. The wagon rusted terribly, the coupe didn't seem to have been washed since the 80's.

Sad.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I feel like an animal when I drive my 240D. It's a manly machine. Hahahaha. OK, now seriously, you can have a well maintained beater; that is a car that is cared for mechanically but has faded paint and some dents and possibly some controlled rust. Such a car has a certain no nonsense appeal.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have used Rust-eze for the last 4 months. I can't tell if it does any good.

What do you think is she still a beater? :D

Attachments

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Sad, but most car owners a pretty lazy. If it's not broke, they don't fix it!:crybaby2:

Dave

1 - 16 of 16 Posts