Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2016 E400 4Matic Sedan
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess the rear doors are bigger on our SELs than other cars. When some of the riders got out, I just felt they slam the door very hard.

As most the W126 owners, I lube everything there is to be lubed and it take a minimal effort to close the doors. My heart would almost jump out when the doors were slamed.

I told the slammers a couple of times to take it easy with the doors and they all took it the wrong way. I am not looking down on them just because I have big Mercedes but I don't want them to slam the doors.

·
Registered
560 SEC Supercharged(sold), E55 AMG, Renntech CL600 Bi-turbo, Porsche 928
1,989 Posts
You have to slam my 560 SEC doors since the seals are so tight. That's the way my E55 is too. If you don't close them hard enough, the doors won't close all the way. Maybe the SEL's aren't as tight as the SEC's?

·
AMG Forums Moderator
SLK55 (2006) C36 (1995)
3,288 Posts
Same here. I think it's the giant window seal that makes the SEC door hard to close.

my 420 would close very easily.

If the door slammers are repeat offenders, it's easy. Just put their finger in the door jamb and slam it a couple times.

·
Registered
1985 300SD
831 Posts
Every once in a while my dad will slam the door on my old Subaru. The thing is like 15 years old and starting to totally rot but is mechanically perfect at 244,000 miles. I still cringe when he does it and give a little whoa!

·
Registered
1984 500sel
35 Posts
Bank vault on wheels? I think of mine more as a reverse ATM. As far as people slamming doors or not wipping there feet, If they are offended maybe they should stick to tearing up their own cars.

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
I'll give people a gentle warning once or twice..after that I get dickish about it..

If someone continues to slam my door I'll eventually insult them in some form or another in the hopes that it Might stick..

Perhaps I'm a bit harsh, but it's a MAJOR pet peave of mine.

Jonathan

·
Registered
86 560SEL
1,324 Posts
My 6 years old son sometimes forgot not to slam but my window, heated seat, seat control buttons is coming off. So, I gave him a very firm warning.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Sometimes I let people slam them because they are so difficult to close in the back. Its eitheir they attempt 4 times to close the door but not slamming which really pisses me off.

Front doors are different....those who slam it get in big shit.

·
Registered
81' 300SD, 82' 300D
4,021 Posts
You can make it easier to close the doors without slamming by letting the passengers close their doors while yours is still open. I don't know why, but for some reason, it works. BTW- jdc, does it seem like it's harder to close the doors without slamming on the 123 than on a 126? It seems so to me for some reason.
-Joe

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Another thing....when the fan is running its harder to close the doors due to the pressure.[:)]

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Ahhhh... The advantages of driving coupes! Very few passengers to slam doors. The rear doors of our 300SE have always been a little problematic. The rear doors don't get used much and seem to require a god push but not a slam.

·
Registered
'90 560SEL
2,553 Posts
I took three guys on a fishing trip last weekend. Each of them had problems fully closing the doors first time. I could see their respect for my old Merc, - they were each waiting for the solid "thunk" sound that our cars are renowned for - but just needed a couple more pounds of pull effort to close the doors properly. I offer a big yes to having one window slightly down to reduce in car air pressure and door closure resistance.

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
H-TownBenzoboy - 4/16/2005 1:53 AM

BTW- jdc, does it seem like it's harder to close the doors without slamming on the 123 than on a 126? It seems so to me for some reason.
-Joe
Yes they do, perhaps the smaller volume of the cabin – the problem is the cars are built too well, too solid and sturdy. Other cars’ doors seem so light and flimsy; we’re very spoiled.

·
Registered
Widebody SEC
774 Posts
because the SEC doors are so big, people feel they need to really swing the doors to close them, where just a gentle push will do it.

just say "gentle on the door" or i'll run you over.

"when a man open and closes a door for a women either the women or the car is new"

·
Registered
1987 420 SEL
2,090 Posts
I never have anymore than 2 - 3 people in the 420. Usually, it's just me and my daughter in the car. She has already gained a respect for the car. She's made comments about how the door is heavy and sounds solid when it closes. Also she wants to drive it on the highway once she gets her license. Of course, she will be trained thoroughly before getting behind the wheel.

Now, I really hate it when one of my family members slams the trunk. That really pisses me off. Especially when you can close the trunk with 2 fingers pressing down. I've told them all, you just push it down easy.

Besides slamming doors on cars is really unnecessary unless you have bad door jambs, etc.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
I remember back in high school when my best freind's dad had a w140 S500. He picked us up from school and dropped off one of our freinds first. He happened to slam the door...my freind's dad, whos italian with a thick accent backed the car up and said

"Josh..eh next time a you a slam my door, imma breaka yourea neck like eh fackin cheekun"

[:D] That moment was classic we still talk about that.

·
Registered
81' 300SD, 82' 300D
4,021 Posts
Benzonline - 4/18/2005 2:36 PM

I remember back in high school when my best freind's dad had a w140 S500. He picked us up from school and dropped off one of our freinds first. He happened to slam the door...my freind's dad, whos italian with a thick accent backed the car up and said

"Josh..eh next time a you a slam my door, imma breaka yourea neck like eh fackin cheekun"

[:D] That moment was classic we still talk about that.
Don't the W140s have a door close assist mechanism in them that will close the door fully for you?
-Joe

1 - 20 of 30 Posts