Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
'06 ML350, '93 Z32TT
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do I need to cover up before degreasing engine of c230? Is there a diy for it? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2000 Mercedes-Benz S500. Sold: 2000 C230K, Sold: 1997 Porsche 944S
1,271 Posts
legendtype2 said:
What do I need to cover up before degreasing engine of c230? Is there a diy for it? Thanks in advance

Some folks say cover up all electrical fittings, air breather, fuse block etc.

I never do that.

I take an extra cautious, deliberate effort one time. Make sure I do it right then for years after that I weekly maintain it.

Some Simple Green or Dawn Liquid in a Spray Bottle. I use Simple Green and I use a Paint Brush. I very light spray; almost a mist; the entire engine and then spray it with SG. Then I use a micro towel rag or the paint brush and loosen all the dirt. Then with a mist spray hose I hose down the dirty solution.
Again; I am very deliberate and with great calm I work it section by section, then hose it down. NO POWER SPRAY. NO HEAVY SPRAY.
Only light, low volume spray of water.
You'll find once you thoroughly clean your engine, it looks fabulous.
Afterwards; if you care; spray it with Engine Lacquer, or Armor All or equivalent.
Me? I don't use any of that. I like a spotless engine and when I had wash my car every week, I MIST spray the engine, knocking down the dirt.

Very important Note:
Do not forget to turn on car Engine for several minutes to "blow off" water droplets and heat up the Engine Compartment.
Go for a drive. When you return, open the Engine Hood again, to dissipate water vapor and to visually inspect your handi work.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
2005 w203, 2013 Town & Country
2,181 Posts
There is that much grease and grudge in your 2006 Mercedes-Benz engine bay? I am cleaning mine out this weekend...

Soap and water, and I'll follow it all up with some dressing...
Jake

·
Registered
C230K Sport Sedan
5,368 Posts
Keep in mind that when you degrease your engine, the grease and solvent has to go somewhere and you may stain your street or driveway. I find it best to go to a coin-op car wash with the wands. Many of them have a degreaser or engine cleaner setting. So first I remove the belly pan at home (or you'll be smelling degreaser for days). Then I squirt the heck from top and bottom the entire engine, tranny, suspension with their degreaser soap, this comes out at very low pressure. The engine is warm so it should work well. Then I put it on power wash and work on the greasy areas that don't come off easily. Then the last 20 seconds or so I put it on spot free rinse and make sure I have the stuff off the engine and off the painted parts like fenders and wheels. You can wash the car at that point but I usually go home and wash or get my freebie at the MB dealer.

When you are done, if there's still greasy spots, just go over them with a multipurpose cleaner and rag, nothing harsh at that point. Then spray the engine (everything, hoses, wiring, filter boxes, tubing, innder fenders) down with dressing for that new car look. I use Meguiars Hyperdressing but it's not available in stores. You just spritz it on and wait for it to dry and the engine looks car show great.

·
Registered
2001 C320
194 Posts
No problems with using a power washer on your engine? I'd be afraid of getting something wet that shouldn't get wet or the car not starting when I'm done...

·
Registered
2005 w203, 2013 Town & Country
2,181 Posts
My dad and I have done TWO (2) engine re-wires...

Grandpa power washed his Buick
Friend power washed his Ram

Jake

·
Registered
C230K Sport Sedan
5,368 Posts
Please understand that there are pressure washers and there are PRESSURE WASHERS. The one at the coin-op is pretty mellow, probably not much more pressure than a garden hose. Also, don't hold the tip directly 1/4" from a connector, let the degreaser do the work, not pressure. I agree that on older cars where the weatherpack connectors have cracked or aged to where they are not weather tight anymore it maybe a concern. I would not hesitate to do it on a car less than 10 years old. I've done this for years on all my 5 cars without a problem. Some of the older cars (1971) did require some time to dry before starting but considering the temps under hood, I'm sure all water evaporates by the time you get home.

·
Registered
2002 C230 Coupe
76 Posts
For what it's worth, I advise against washing the engine while it's warm - especially while it's hot. I washed my VW at a coin-op place with low pressure wash, but since the engine was warm, the rapid cooling cracked the coil pack, screwed up a plug wire and cracked a pulley tensioner. It cost me over $500 to fix it all.

Now I just use a bottle of Simple Green and a rag. No spraying water anywhere. The MB has enough stuff hidden behind plastic shields that I can reach everything with the rag pretty well. It's not exactly show quality, but it's pretty darn good.

- jason

·
Registered
94 C220, 2001 C180
38 Posts
FrankW said:
simple green and a towel.
I wish I was a member on the forum before I first washed my engine bay. I lost the throato Actuator! Used a normal horse not the power washer avoided the electrial parts but left the actuator from the cover had to part away with $500.

From that time I just wipe my engine bay!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts