Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Unimog Moderator
250GD Wolf
13,265 Posts
I use Dynabeads, I purchased the larger ones (so they can't come out of the valve stem when airing down)

Tire Balancing Products

They work VERY well, if you get some mud in your rim, they will re-balance themselves. I get a tiny shimmy at 92km/h, but it goes away if I go faster/slower, there also reusable if you change tires, just scoop them out, and put them in the new ones.

There also in your neck of the woods:

DynaBeads Canada
2740-15 Jefferson Blvd.
Windsor, ON N8T 3C7
PHONE: (519) 974-1235
FAX: (519) 974-1238

·
Registered
1978 416.115
1,035 Posts
I used BB's.

Get about 1oz of BB's per 10lb of tire. Most tires are about 120lb or so, so figure about 12-16oz of BB's. Much cheaper than Dynabeads.

I've heard of people using golfballs too.

·
Registered
85' U1300L Holset Turbo VA A/C, 66' Propane 404.1 rock mog, 1975 416 Doka, G500, Volvo C303
5,035 Posts
Golf balls shred over time. Ask me how I know.

·
Registered
'78 Mog 416.141 DoKa
3,417 Posts
My 14.5x20 MPT's were simply dropped on the wheels and inflated - no balancing was done. They run smooth up to 100 KPH. Your mileage may vary, but I think the need to balance big-ass off-road tires is unnecessary.

I purchased Dynabeads for a set of 33's once and still find it hard to sit down :) The cost of the many pounds of Dynabeads required for Mog tires would be enormous.

{edit} ...although I don't have an issue with Dynabead performance. I use them on the front tires of my 1-ton truck since my favorite local tire shop can't balance the wheels on their lame-o machine

·
Registered
1980 U1000 Turbo...
1,522 Posts
I too took the BB route. The chart suggested 500 grams per corner for 405/70/20. I had zero shimmy with them.
However, I fitted my new set of TVS 405s, without BBs, and still no shimmy....

·
Registered
'78 Mog 416.141 DoKa
3,417 Posts
I used BB's.

Get about 1oz of BB's per 10lb of tire. Most tires are about 120lb or so, so figure about 12-16oz of BB's. Much cheaper than Dynabeads.
If you go this route, BE SURE the BB's are copper-coated lead and not steel. The copper flash WILL wear off quickly and the resultant ferric oxide mess will alarm you :)

Or, just use lead shot (which, BTW, also will eventually turn into a mass of corrosion)

·
Registered
1980 U1000 Turbo...
1,522 Posts
If you go this route, BE SURE the BB's are copper-coated lead and not steel. The copper flash WILL wear off quickly and the resultant ferric oxide mess will alarm you :)

Or, just use lead shot (which, BTW, also will eventually turn into a mass of corrosion)
I used plastic BBs.

·
Registered
U-406/416
688 Posts
I went back and forth on this on as well, in the end I ran mine with no balance beeds (not because there bad just didnt want to deal with them). My XM's run true at 90km thats as fast as my mog will go. In the winter they start out a bit lumpy but that has nothing to do with the lack a beeds.

·
Registered
70 406
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was thinking about a couple ounces of premixed antifreeze. Shouldn't affect the rubber but he tires are going to be near 3500 by the time I'm done and don't wann to ruin them

·
Registered
85' U1300L Holset Turbo VA A/C, 66' Propane 404.1 rock mog, 1975 416 Doka, G500, Volvo C303
5,035 Posts
Another hand in the air here for no balancing. I have never bothered to balance anything over 35" My 404 is on 39" Iroks and have never been balanced. She runs nice and smooth.

And my 1300 has 15.5R20's and no balance. She runs smooth upwards of 60MPH.

I can also say that I have yet to see and hands on evidence that dynabeads or BB's or golf balls do anything to help balance. In fact I have see the opposite. Just my .2c

·
Registered
'78 Mog 416.141 DoKa
3,417 Posts
tires are going to be near 3500 by the time I'm done and don't wann to ruin them
Even though it's hard work, rotate them often if you put a lot of road miles on them. The worst enemy of these big tires is uneven wear.

Do the work to get the tire pressures right. Don't just run what the manufacturer says - they usually assume max loads and you'll (probably) be nowhere near that.

·
Registered
1987 416 Doka
658 Posts
I use IRS agents - I find the smell changes very little from the first introduction....

Since the topic came up though, what is a good PSI to run? In my 33" Goodyear MTR's on my Tacoma, I push 55 or so (max load PSI is 60 or 65), and the wear is perfect! But, if I hit rough patches on the road, I dribble like a basketball!

·
Registered
1978 416.115
1,035 Posts
Since the topic came up though, what is a good PSI to run? In my 33" Goodyear MTR's on my Tacoma, I push 55 or so (max load PSI is 60 or 65), and the wear is perfect! But, if I hit rough patches on the road, I dribble like a basketball!
I run my 14.5R20's at about 50-55psi, but they're rated up to 80psi.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I have new Conti MPT81's on my 416, and when I installed them I was told it would take around 16 oz of weight inner and outer bead per tire to balance them. My old set took no more than 4-6 oz per bead. They talked me into using dynabeads, and in stop and go traffic, the out of out of balance condition is terrible. After driving a short distance they smooth out just fine.

·
Registered
1981 U1300L
1,302 Posts
i sprung for the dina beads, in the 4 months of daily driving from alaska to south baja the wear on the mpt81 is totally even, , i never would have guessed. i suspect that some tires just come form the factory rounder, and more evenly weighted than others.

·
Registered
286 Posts
FWIW, my new 395/80-20 Goodyears cost me $50 each to take my old 15.5 XL's off, clean the wheels and put the new tires on with a bag of balance beads and new metal air valves. The old XL's were terrible and had no balance devices of any sort, but they were ex-mil take offs. The new Goodyears are wonderfully smooth, but I couldn't tell you if that's just 'cause they're new or whether the beads help. In any case, the whole mounting /balancing thing was pretty reasonable when offered so I said "why not". I adjust pressure until I see reasonable road contact across the tread. My 1300L gets about 85-90% contact at 70 psi and I think air pressure has a strong effect on the feel of the tire. I want to just run enough pressure to get good contact for wear and solid steering feel without adding to the Mogs coil sprung wombly feel due to soft tires on the highway.

·
Registered
'78 Mog 416.141 DoKa
3,417 Posts
I adjust pressure until I see reasonable road contact across the tread.
That is how I figured out my optimum pressure. I took a big piece of chalk - the kind kids draw on the sidewalk with - and 'painted' a strip across the tire. I started at max pressure and adjusted down until the contact pattern looked good. Unloaded, my 416 DoKa seems to like 35-40 PSI rear and around 50 psi in front. This is with Conti MPT-80's with the lowest ply rating (I think they're 8 ply).

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
How do you balance tires...."The neighbor used to have four noisy dogs....I inserted one in eachh of my tires and waaaahhhhlaaaa balanced and yes...sleep well at night"

1 - 20 of 24 Posts