Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2014 E 350 4 Matic
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last weekend I discovered that yes indeed my 500 does have it's engine restricted to 135 mph - before I get flamed for being a menace on the road bear in mind I live in a very sparsly populated part of the world where we have wide open roads with little traffic. It seems that the ignition get's retarded at 135 and the car starts to gently stumple and stall every so lightly - it rolls right up to 135 or 37 but that's it - which is confirmed by MBNA -

If anyone knows how to get the ecu modified or what is required I'd appreciate hearing from you. If you prefer, you can PM me.

I do not want to perform any other engine mods such as K&N Filter or cat removal etc - but simply remove the speed restriction if possible.

Thanks

Steve

·
Registered
Eurocharged ECU E500, OE Tuning ECU/Speedriven TCU SL600 V12TT, 2007 Range Rover Supercharged
235 Posts
The only way to do it is get a performance ECU tune. These tunes will also get rid of the VMAX limiter. There are many tuning companies to choose from, such as L.E.T., VRP, Powerchips, Kleemann, RENNtech, Brabus, etc....

These tunes will run you anywhere from 700 all the way up to 1500 or so. You'll get a bump in HP and TQ, as well as remove the speed limiter and throttle lag associated with our cars.

Personally, I have the Evotech tune. I've since added many performance mods and I'm having my car custom tuned on a dyno next month by L.E.T.

·
Registered
'07 GL320CDI
5,116 Posts
You understand, of course, that your E500 came originally fitted with H-rated tires, which are rated safe to 130mph. This is why the car is speed-limited to that figure.

Should you intend to defeat the speed limiter, you should be prepared to install V- or Z-rated tires.

BTW, K&N filters provide ZERO performance gain and will without a doubt damage your MAF sensor.

·
Registered
Eurocharged ECU E500, OE Tuning ECU/Speedriven TCU SL600 V12TT, 2007 Range Rover Supercharged
235 Posts
You understand, of course, that your E500 came originally fitted with H-rated tires, which are rated safe to 130mph. This is why the car is speed-limited to that figure.

Should you intend to defeat the speed limiter, you should be prepared to install V- or Z-rated tires.

BTW, K&N filters provide ZERO performance gain and will without a doubt damage your MAF sensor.
^^^^^^^

Yep, what he said. If you plan to run flat out, make sure to have the proper rubber. Good advice.

·
Registered
2006 Merc E320 cdi
983 Posts
Even so a part of me wants to know WHERE in the US you are planning to run this car on public roads. Your dangers are not only the cops and other drivers, but wildlife. You hit a deer, you'll stop. You hit an elk, you'll DIE..

Unless you're planning to run this car on a race track, speeds in excess of 130 mph are very dangerous. Nobody is immune from the laws of physics..

·
Registered
2014 E 350 4 Matic
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'd be killed if I gave it up but I do appreciate the sentiment and understand the risks associated with this type of driving - where I live if you hit a deer or elk they ticket the game not the driver. It's a bit more high risk on my motorcycle so I feel perfectly safe in my car. Thanks for the warning however, I appreciate it.

Steve
Even so a part of me wants to know WHERE in the US you are planning to run this car on public roads. Your dangers are not only the cops and other drivers, but wildlife. You hit a deer, you'll stop. You hit an elk, you'll DIE..

Unless you're planning to run this car on a race track, speeds in excess of 130 mph are very dangerous. Nobody is immune from the laws of physics..

·
Registered
2014 E 350 4 Matic
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
^^^^^^^

Yep, what he said. If you plan to run flat out, make sure to have the proper rubber. Good advice.
I do understand that however from my understand the ratings mean exceeding X speed for Y hours - I seriously doubt any of us can run those speeds for more than a few minutes at a time in the US, Germany perhaps but here sadly.

It's interesting to note that Interstate 90 which runs through WA State had a speed limit of 80 mph in much of it when first opened years ago - it's now vastly improved and while there is, in some places a bit more traffic, law enforcement is very actively giving out tickets at speeds 5 mph over the legal speed of 70. All in the name of safety - bull sxxx - it's called REVENUE - too bad we American's are so timid when fighting law enforcement and their aggressive ticketing of 5 and 10 over law breakers when the meth addicts, robbers, murderers etc run amok - it really pisses me off and I am considered a bleeding heart liberal among my friends.

Steve

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.