Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

How do I tell if I have a Long or Short Wheel base?

15291 Views 17 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  Merc-S600
Hey everyone,

This mught sound like a stupid question, but my Dad just bougt a '93 300SE and we don't know whether this is the short or long wheelbase. I always thought that it was a short wheelbase (because it is called a 300SE and not a 300SEL).

If anyone could help, it would be greatly appreciated!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
2001 S500
44 Posts
That's correct. Long wheel base is SEL. Also, if you do not have gobbs of room in the ba...

That's correct. Long wheel base is SEL. Also, if you do not have gobbs of room in the back seat, then you have the short wheel base. Not sure if this is true (heard it on one of these forums), but maybe you could clarify since you have a short wheel base. Someone mentioned that the short wheel base does not have a chrome accent ring around the door locks that sit on the interior door panel, while the long wheel base does! Any truth to that?

· Registered
93 300SE, 07 BMW 328i Coupe, 01 GSX-R1000
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: That's correct. Long wheel base is SEL. Also, if you do not have gobbs of room in the ba

Someone mentioned that the short wheel base does not have a chrome accent ring around the door locks that sit on the interior door panel, while the long wheel base does! Any truth to that?
We actually don't get the car until late next week, but I will certainly check and let you guys know . . .

· Registered
W140 S class, E31 850Ci, XC90 Exec AWD geartronic
444 Posts
Hey everyone,

This mught sound like a stupid question, but my Dad just bougt a '93 300SE and we don't know whether this is the short or long wheelbase. I always thought that it was a short wheelbase (because it is called a 300SE and not a 300SEL).

If anyone could help, it would be greatly appreciated!
SE = short wheelbase.Its still a big car though
[:)]

· Registered
1997 S600 - Bentley Turbo R (black/black)
313 Posts
Just a clarification...In 93 the s class (300) never came in sel...only se ..its about...

Just a clarification...In 93 the s class (300) never came in sel...only se ..its about 119.7 inches just 4 inches shorter then the longer wheel base, and you can tell that through the back seat space.

ghost

· Premium Member
1998 140.070 CL500, 1966 406.121 U65
1,514 Posts
LWB will have adjustable rear seats, and extra 6" of leg room.
I must say, a lot of strange statements here;-) Nothing to do with seat adjusters or
chrome rings. The V-version is 10 cm (~4") longer than the W-version, and all that
is at the back door, which also gives that amount as extra legroom;

MBWorld.org Forums - View Single Post - 1995 s-class size differences??

To spot a short from a long, look at the rear window. If it is ~square,
its a short, rectangular, a long one.

br,
syljua

· Registered
2008 S550 designo
393 Posts
The easiest way I've found is to look at the inside of the back doors. The short will have the ashtray directly above the speaker. On the long wheelbase, the speaker is "in front of" the ashtray.

See pics below.

Short:

Vehicle Car Car seat cover Luxury vehicle Car seat

Long:

Vehicle Car Luxury vehicle Car seat cover Car seat

trey

Reactions: PetrFin

· W140 Moderator
"CHRIS" Merc 92 600SEL / Sold > 93 600SE / 93 S500 / 89 560SEL / 413CDI / B180-CDI /A170-CDI
7,894 Posts
While i'm here lol,i may as well add the slight remark of the longer (Rectangular) rear Window on the SEL while on the SE it is more of a Square rear window ,a good eye is needed to spot that . Overall 4 inches difference at the rear doors between the 2 (SEL 4 inch & SE none ).
A Playstation3 fits exactly from the End of the middle console rear on top of the transmission hump & the rear seat ,still leaving a little space spare,this dosnt mean to buy a PS3 to measure it ,LOL. . :thumbsup:

· Registered
1990 300SE
275 Posts
I think I need glasses or I need to take basic geometry over again. Because, for the life of me I cannot tell between SWB and LWB W140s by the rear windows. They both look square to me. :confused:

I think Mercedes did a better job of making the SWB and the LWB look the same on the 140 vs the 126. The 126 becomes very obvious because the rear windows are MUCH longer, and there is increased slope on the rear windshield.

The ashtray trick is brilliant though. :eek:

· Registered
92 W140 300SD 97 VW Jetta TDI 05 E320 CDI 90 Passat Wagon TDI
1,280 Posts
I think I need glasses or I need to take basic geometry over again. Because, for the life of me I cannot tell between SWB and LWB W140s by the rear windows. They both look square to me. :confused:

I think Mercedes did a better job of making the SWB and the LWB look the same on the 140 vs the 126. The 126 becomes very obvious because the rear windows are MUCH longer, and there is increased slope on the rear windshield.

I use the rear door length at the belt molding as a guide, the SWB will have similar belt molding length to the front door, the LWB will have a significantly longer (~4") longer belt molding compared to front door.

Yes, to me the door glass is tough to gauge.

· W140 Moderator
"CHRIS" Merc 92 600SEL / Sold > 93 600SE / 93 S500 / 89 560SEL / 413CDI / B180-CDI /A170-CDI
7,894 Posts

See if these two pics show you the difference a bit better , i can spot a SWB from a LWB instantly just by this . Just look at the white car below ,notice the huge small Square window against the other one ,the SWB window would make out for a good glass chessboard if it would'nt be curved,LoL.
and Yes ,i know it's not easy to spot the 1st time beeing unfamiliar with it .:thumbsup:

Some W140's are not fitted with the rear ashtrays , you would be stuck then ,lol .You look a bit higher where the Burlood curve ends SWB is vertically inline with it ,LWB is a bit more forward of that line plus you have more Leather there between the pillar (front seats) and that curved Wood panel horizontaly .

Attachments

· Registered
1990 300SE
275 Posts
See if these two pics show you the difference a bit better , i can spot a SWB from a LWB instantly just by this . Just look at the white car below ,notice the huge small Square window against the other one ,the SWB window would make out for a good glass chessboard if it would'nt be curved,LoL.
and Yes ,i know it's not easy to spot the 1st time beeing unfamiliar with it . :thumbsup:

Some W140's are not fitted with the rear ashtrays , you would be stuck then ,lol .You look a bit higher where the Burlood curve ends SWB is vertically inline with it ,LWB is a bit more forward of that line plus you have more Leather there between the pillar (front seats) and that curved Wood panel horizontaly .
Ooh, I can definitely see the difference when put side by side like that. If anything, the SWB looks like a tall rectangle, and the LWB looks normal. I guess that is what happens when we become accustomed to 16:9/ 16:10 aspect ratios when it comes to our TVs now. I think I know what to look for now. Thanks, merc s600. :D

· W140 Moderator
7,894 Posts
Ooh, I can definitely see the difference when put side by side like that. If anything, the SWB looks like a tall rectangle, and the LWB looks normal. I guess that is what happens when we become accustomed to 16:9/ 16:10 aspect ratios when it comes to our TVs now. I think I know what to look for now. Thanks, merc s600. :D
LoL, yes in a way just that it's more like 16:10/4:3 .
Dont worry ,when you see them on the Road you will now spot the Dif... instantly to, somehow it's better to spot in real than a picture .
I upgrade you to Sergant now ,LoL.:thumbsup:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.