Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
86 560sec-168K -Ext. Light Ivory/Int. Black/01 E320 4Matic Wagon Brl Silver/Black/ Mad '95 Q45
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
want to clean it

·
Registered
"500"sel, 560sec
2,036 Posts
do you mean the air metering plate where the airbox connects to the CIS assembly??

·
Registered
86 560sec-168K -Ext. Light Ivory/Int. Black/01 E320 4Matic Wagon Brl Silver/Black/ Mad '95 Q45
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lander91 said:
do you mean the air metering plate where the airbox connects to the CIS assembly??
is there not a MAF there ??

·
Registered
"500"sel, 560sec
2,036 Posts
Theres no MAF as such, these cars are injected mechanically so the metering plate is pretty much the equivalent. To clean down ther you either have to know what youre doing and take it apart if not just spray a bunch of carn cleaner down.
What do you want to clean it?

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lander91 said:
Theres no MAF as such, these cars are injected mechanically so the metering plate is pretty much the equivalent. To clean down ther you either have to know what youre doing and take it apart if not just spray a bunch of carn cleaner down.
What do you want to clean it?
With a MaF over time it develops a coating which can inhibit performance, In my Q45 i clean my MaF 2X annually-and notice a difference.
I have a slight lag on launch- and in the chain of tuning figured it would be a good idea

·
Registered
E320
2,798 Posts
i'm biting my tounge. alot. but i'll respond to this.. your car does NOT have an electric mass air flow sensor. any cleaning you do won't do anything. on your infinity, okay, the CRC MAF spray will improve things. on your merc, there is nothing to spray onto. everything is mechanical, not electric.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
NüR-SPEC said:
i'm biting my tounge. alot. but i'll respond to this.. your car does NOT have an electric mass air flow sensor. any cleaning you do won't do anything. on your infinity, okay, the CRC MAF spray will improve things. on your merc, there is nothing to spray onto. everything is mechanical, not electric.
Ur mighty tense for a sunday morning, sorry u r biting ur tongue. Thanks for the info grab a cup of Joe and read the paper. But really i appreciate the Supreme Knowlege - I was unaware the the Benz did not have a MAF, it is my first 20 yo MB

·
Registered
"500"sel, 560sec
2,036 Posts
jimmypop said:
With a MaF over time it develops a coating which can inhibit performance, In my Q45 i clean my MaF 2X annually-and notice a difference.
I have a slight lag on launch- and in the chain of tuning figured it would be a good idea
Try a search usingthose 2 key words, "launch" and "lag" and also "sluggish". Youll find you ahve to start with spark plugs then wires then the dist cap then vacuum, injectors etc etc etc. By searching you may find someone in the past with the exact same problem and that will tell you straight away what to do.
And nur said, these cars dont have a hotwire maf sensor our systems (560's) are KE Jetronic.

·
Registered
E320
2,798 Posts
jimmypop said:
Ur mighty tense for a sunday morning, sorry u r biting ur tongue. Thanks for the info grab a cup of Joe and read the paper. But really i appreciate the Supreme Knowlege - I was unaware the the Benz did not have a MAF, it is my first 20 yo MB
sorry. 4 in the morning when i posted that. it's just something you should know. very basic knowledge of the car if your even going to be toying with it.

pics of the Q45???

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
NüR-SPEC said:
sorry. 4 in the morning when i posted that. it's just something you should know. very basic knowledge of the car if your even going to be toying with it.

pics of the Q45???
guess it still early for u I understand been working on cars since i was 12 now 40yo. Maybe basic knowlege for someone as Experienced as yourself but again this is my first 20yo benz. Bty sold my clk430 last year retrofitted w/ supercharger putting out 395hp on the dyno (miss it) but was not my favorite car

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
lander91 said:
Try a search usingthose 2 key words, "launch" and "lag" and also "sluggish". Youll find you ahve to start with spark plugs then wires then the dist cap then vacuum, injectors etc etc etc. By searching you may find someone in the past with the exact same problem and that will tell you straight away what to do.
And nur said, these cars dont have a hotwire maf sensor our systems (560's) are KE Jetronic.
tried that to no avail- entire top end of my motor rebuilt 4k ago, also new plugs wires dist etc, has new injectors and a newish spider stuff.
Seems to disappear after car warms up a bit COLD START VALVE MAybe ??

·
Registered
1965 220S, 1999 Volvo V70 (wagon), 2006 Ford Crown Vic Police Interceptor, 72 350SL 4 Speed
1,830 Posts
You need to keep the throttle body clean. That's the one under the CIS injection unit. Oil cokes from the heat and builds up around the throttle plate. The vacuum orifices need to be cleaned as well.

Also, the air injection system needs to be kept clean as does the EGR system. This includes the pipes and the 'PCV' system, the pipe under the air cleaner to the passenger side rear cam cover etc.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
wbain said:
You need to keep the throttle body clean. That's the one under the CIS injection unit. Oil cokes from the heat and builds up around the throttle plate. The vacuum orifices need to be cleaned as well.

Also, the air injection system needs to be kept clean as does the EGR system. This includes the pipes and the 'PCV' system, the pipe under the air cleaner to the passenger side rear cam cover etc.
Good stuff - i should not assume that was all done because of top end rebuild. sounds like a day of fun.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
83 500SEC, 84 300TD, 86 190E 5.0 M113, 87 300D, 01 CLK55, 02 C32, 02 C320T, 03 C320T4, 03 E55
2,600 Posts
some shops will also have some sort of intake/injection system cleaner service, but be careful- some work, some do not.

BHG fan too huh?

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
johnhef said:
some shops will also have some sort of intake/injection system cleaner service, but be careful- some work, some do not.

BHG fan too huh?
i use BG products - should try some BHG ??

·
Registered
83 500SEC, 84 300TD, 86 190E 5.0 M113, 87 300D, 01 CLK55, 02 C32, 02 C320T, 03 C320T4, 03 E55
2,600 Posts
no, thats something else I was assuming based on your username. use the BG stuff ;)

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
42,625 Posts
You might want to look into the use of a four wire 02 sensor.
Advocated by Jonathan for quicker response (in the archive).

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
Quite..you can also block off all the EGR/Air injection ports...MB makes a dowel just for that sort of thing. It's my norm when I do heads/top end work these days. My 87 SEL had an EGR stick open and it cracked my #7 exhaust valve after an Long 100+mph run.

You can have a look on my web page for pics of a cleaned butterfly etc.. under my white 91 resto etc..

Jonathan

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
jhodg5ck said:
Quite..you can also block off all the EGR/Air injection ports...MB makes a dowel just for that sort of thing. It's my norm when I do heads/top end work these days. My 87 SEL had an EGR stick open and it cracked my #7 exhaust valve after an Long 100+mph run.

You can have a look on my web page for pics of a cleaned butterfly etc.. under my white 91 resto etc..

Jonathan
any pic of the ports to plug ??
could not find info on 5 wire sensor ??

1 - 19 of 19 Posts