Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
CLK 55 AMG Cab.
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading the threads that descibe with certain detail how to replace the air filters in the 55. I have attemted to do as they suggested but without any luck. I can't seem to gain access to all those little hex screws that hold the large plastic rear cover down. Am I doing something wrong? I am not a mechanic.

·
Registered
2002 E55
70 Posts
Those are not exactly hex screws. It is more of a star shape and you should be able to bu...

Those are not exactly hex screws. It is more of a star shape and you should be able to buy it at your local hardware store. I have it but I forgot the size for the airbox screw. Once you open it, watch out there will be quite a bit of debris falling out
[:D]

John

·
Registered
08 gl320 cdi
46 Posts
Pop off the front cover and then wiggle the entire assembly off some rubber tie downs. T...

Pop off the front cover and then wiggle the entire assembly off some rubber tie downs. Then you will be able to get to the torx screws.

·
Registered
2001 CLK55 AMG
40 Posts
The entore assemby is held in place by the rear air inlet and two rubber grommets. Ther...

The entore assemby is held in place by the rear air inlet and two rubber grommets. There are two metal clips that grab these grommets holding the entore assembly down, Once you gently pry the assembly up you can wiggle it free of the rear air inlet and remove it completely. Flip it over get your startip and unscrew all the screws to get to the filters.

·
Registered
2005 E55 Wagon. 2004 CLK55 AMG (RIP; crash).
4 Posts
This video was very helpful to me when I had the same issue. I am also not mechanic nor mechinally-inclined.
You will need a Torx wrench, size 15, I think.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Most common mistake is re-installing the assembly....be sure the rear is completely seated before you lower the front down into the clips.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts