Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Just got this 190 Diesel a couple of months ago and is now having trouble shifting. It would appear to most likely be the shifter linkage bushings on my standard 5 speed transmission.

Can anyone help describe how to do this? Is there a thread with instructions on how to replace those? I understand some are accessed under the car and the ones inside the shifter would be accessed from within the car. But that's all I know, I could really use some instructions, at least in terms of how to get started and exactly how many bushings there are and where.
I have the kind of transmission where 5th and reverse are on the same side (right side) by the way.

Any help of any kind is VERY much appreciated, I can't afford to take this thing to the stealer and I want to take this on, but not blindly!

Dan

·
Registered
'87--190E 2.3-16v(being rebuilt), '99--C230 Kompressor
3,488 Posts
go to 190rev.net a person on there makes and sells delrin shifter bushings...kinda like really hard teflon...much better then factory rubber....

shifter bushings can be a pain but easy enough...jack up the front end, disconnect rods from shifter...pull shifter out (4x 10mm)...replace...reinstall...reconnect...disconnect from trans...replace and reinstall. all the rods are held on with spring clips. best to change them out as well if your doing the bushings...they are less then $1 each. may also need a pain of vise grip to get the bushing into the rod... search on here there are a few pics floating around about the breakdown to the shifters

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, unfortunately it looks like it is also the ones inside the shifter.
Got replacements coming in the mail.
How do I get started on that ? Does the boot just pull off and I do everything from inside the car?

·
Registered
1984, 201.122, OM601.921, G717.410
504 Posts
There is an older 2010 post describing how to remove the center piece between the seats. Then you remove the shift lever mechanism.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts