Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1983 300SD, 4 speed manual, 1994 C280
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I get a lot of excellent help here. I have been looking for instructions on how to remove the pieces that are located on the pillars(?) between the dash and the headliner. I don't want to tear any thing up. Also Has any one tried to install a hood pad by themselves? Thanks.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Haven't done the pillars, but have done the hood pad

I haven't done interior pillars, but the hood pad is fairly straight forward and based on good sense and patient labor.

New/fresh hood pads are available on eBay or online, "waffle"pattern is a key here, some budget pads can be smooth/no pattern and not right.

The new pad arrives rolled up, let it sit out flat for 2-3 days and it will unroll and lay flat/flat.

Look at the old pad to see how the pattern fits the hood.

I cover the cold engine compartment with a tarp/old blanket, etc...

You pull the old pad off.

Clean up is now the labor part, the more time you spend the better the new pad will lay. I use a plastic scraper to loosent remove the more major residual pad/glue. Then I liberally use "orange" aerosol spray adhesive remover from Walmart (from the automotive paint/repair section) and spray liberally on the inside hood remaining gunk to loosen,.. sit for awhile then use disposable old smooth rag to take off as much old gunk as possible (I use disposable gloves on this step too) .... I call this the "gooey step". 3M also has a adhesive remover too which is volatile based, the orange non-volatile works good for me.

After the gooey step, which is your choice of how much time you put into it, I hose off any residual cleaner... and let dry.

3M spray trim adhesive is available usually at Walmart or any common auto parts store.

I spray both the inside hood, and the pad, let sit for tackiness, then put it up.

Materials wise between the pad/adhesive remover/adhesive you will have less than $100 in the whole deal - it's the prep time and patience that results in a job well done...and ALWAYS pays off, looks great..

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both for the advice, I didn't think about letting the pad unroll for a while. It is suppose to be in the upper 80's here so I'll leave it out and let it get flat. I bought one already that is smooth with an extra aluminum pad for the turbo area, what was left of the one on here kept crumbling so I took the shop vac to it. I was wondering what to use for the residue left on there. I printed out the instructions to remove pillars, I need to tighten up the covering there. I am also working on installing a cd player now. I reglued the wood pieces to their backings for the center console and the radio surround. Does anyone know a good source for the rubber boots that cover the shifters? Thanks again.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I didn't get to the pad or the pillars BUT I did get the cd player installed! What a PITA, I haven't hard wired one of those in years. Tomorrow I will work on the pad and every thing else.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok hood pad is on, both a & b pillars have been reglued or fixed up to kindasortof look better than when I started. The list is getting shorter for now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts